Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-28-2021, 04:55 PM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Who did your brakes .......?

I was wondering if brakes area something doable over a weekend or is it something its best to take it to a fleet center? If you did take it where is a good place you would recommend ?
Thanks in advance
RayAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2021, 05:03 PM   #2

Guess that depends on your skill level, your access to the proper tools and exactly what brake system you have.

Please tell us what chassis/brake system you have, your skill level with working on brakes and if you have the proper jack stands and tools.
Old 07-28-2021, 05:10 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfe10 View Post
Guess that depends on your skill level, your access to the proper tools and exactly what brake system you have.

Please tell us what chassis/brake system you have, your skill level with working on brakes and if you have the proper jack stands and tools.

Thanks for the reply , i just got a month ago a 2004 Holiday Rambler Scepter. I haven't even went as far a type of chassis . We have a couple of fleet centers here just not sure on how good they are so was just testing the water for the near future would like to have them done. An i have some mechanical intelligence for Baja race truck lol not sure what level brakes on an RV are.
Old 07-28-2021, 05:31 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
How many miles are on the rig. Are you having any braking issues. Do you know if they are drum or rotor/caliper brakes.

I know at some point I'll need brakes, I inspect mine regularly and have seen minimal wear since purchase ~+12 years ago, currently has 110K miles on it. I have no indication of brakes being bad. I use the Pacbrake as much as possible.

Coming back from a long trip last week a small car cut me off and I had to do a panic stop at pretty high speed and was able to come to a stop in quickly.

I'd suggest possibly taking it to a truck shop for an inspection first and see what they recommend.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 05:41 PM   #5

Stop in to same shop you trust to do your car maintenance.. ask shop manger or one of guys.. you use.. they will tell you where to take.. with out getting taken.. some of them might do it... then send them pizzas 2 or 3.. they will remember who sent them pizzas,, but forget the last thing they worked on.. good luck and let us know what you did and maybe better members then me will help you
Old 07-28-2021, 09:55 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Ray, with drum brakes you will probably never have to replace the shoes. I have just acquired a Imperial that has disc on the steering axle. As a retired truck driver with 43 years and 4 million miles always got 250k to 300k with drum brakes and pulled a lot more weight than any motorhome. On drums crawl under and look at the shoes, you will likely have 1/2 to 5/8 inch of lining left. On disc brakes only have 4 wheel experience. Good luck.
DiplomatDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 04:16 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayAZ View Post
Thanks for the reply , i just got a month ago a 2004 Holiday Rambler Scepter. I haven't even went as far a type of chassis . We have a couple of fleet centers here just not sure on how good they are so was just testing the water for the near future would like to have them done. An i have some mechanical intelligence for Baja race truck lol not sure what level brakes on an RV are.
Working on a large vehicle with air brakes and 22.5 in wheels is a lot different than working on a car or light truck. The torque spec for the wheel nuts is 500 foot pounds and most of them are tighter than that. I had to use a breaker bar and long pipe just to get them broke loose. When I put the tires back on I used a 4x torque multiplier and torque wrench set for 125 lbs so they would be at 500 lbs. My point is that if you do not have the tools to deal with a heavy vehicle and a place to work you would be better off having it done at a truck shop.
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 04:20 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiplomatDon View Post
Ray, with drum brakes you will probably never have to replace the shoes. I have just acquired a Imperial that has disc on the steering axle. As a retired truck driver with 43 years and 4 million miles always got 250k to 300k with drum brakes and pulled a lot more weight than any motorhome. On drums crawl under and look at the shoes, you will likely have 1/2 to 5/8 inch of lining left. On disc brakes only have 4 wheel experience. Good luck.
OH wow congratulations on the driving mileage , i drove myself for 10 yrs for the county but had to let it go lol. Its a bigger strain on the body that one thinks and drove through my 20's till i was 34 yrs old. Carpo tunnel got me ....back to the subject

Her mileage as we speak is 41,369 , i will certainly look into that . I just wanted to double check what everyone was doing , know a few mechanics. Thanks again for any intel
Old 07-29-2021, 05:58 AM   #9

We have a local commercial truck shop in Orlando (JOSAM) that I went to for all my chassis and alignment work. Highly regarded by the RV community around here. Maybe there's a similar shop near you. The commercial chains may be ok, but I never had to use them.

As others have mentioned, if you have the tools and skills and stable place to work, you could certainly do it yourself. Just realize the weight of the tires and torques for the lugs are much larger than working on a car. You can buy a reasonably cheap torque multiplier on amazon and get that 400-500 foot pound torque, just be careful not to break the studs.
jondrew55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 06:03 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayAZ View Post

Her mileage as we speak is 41,369 , i will certainly look into that . I just wanted to double check what everyone was doing , know a few mechanics. Thanks again for any intel

My coach had ~55K on it when I bought it. I had Cummins do a complete inspection and it passed with flying colors. Since then I've done my own maintenance and inspect the drum brake shoes every time I'm under the coach. I now have 110K miles on the coach and can not tell that the shoes have worn at all. I used the PacBrake as much as possible.

I'd suggest measuring them as a reference and inspect annually.

Here is a reference as to minimal thickness of the steer & drive axles brake drum liners.
https://www.freightbrokerscourse.com...-brake-lining/
Old 07-29-2021, 06:22 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
I'm at 104,000 miles with the original brakes, not much wear with an engine or exhaust brake equipped coach. Drum brakes do need to have the drums removed periodically to clean and lube the "S" cam roller, anchor pins etc., which tend to stick eventually. No real skill involved just lots of muscle with the tires and drums. The manufacturers, Meritor etc, offer the manuals online.
Old 07-29-2021, 07:32 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Good info

Wonder how much mileage others have on their brakes.
Old 07-29-2021, 01:02 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
Good info

Wonder how much mileage others have on their brakes.
We have 140,000 klicks on ours and the brakes have so much meat on them they appear new. Over the life of the unit....

Dad used the service brakes for a total of 550.84 miles and a total of 46 hours and 47 minutes. To accomplish this feat he hit the brake pedal a total of 97,006 times.
BobJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 01:17 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
RayAz as others have said I would also guess your brakes are in good shape. Just go under and look and you will see. As for the best shop for almost anything on your rig, you have already found it. Massey's.

Tim

Tags
brake, brakes