Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: Do you like the ride on your Nepture?
Yes, it rides great. 2 18.18%
No, it rides too hard 2 18.18%
No, it porpoises too much 6 54.55%
No, for other reasons 1 9.09%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-31-2008, 12:38 PM   #1

I test drove 4 different MHs yesterday. One was a 35ft Neptune. The ride was not as plush at the Damon Astoria, or the Winnebago Vectra, but I like the stability. One noticeable negative was increased porpoising compared to the others. The salesman said it was due to the short wheel base of the 35 footer. The 38 footer increases the wheelbase from 204" to 240". Will that make a big difference?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-31-2008, 12:38 PM   #2

I test drove 4 different MHs yesterday. One was a 35ft Neptune. The ride was not as plush at the Damon Astoria, or the Winnebago Vectra, but I like the stability. One noticeable negative was increased porpoising compared to the others. The salesman said it was due to the short wheel base of the 35 footer. The 38 footer increases the wheelbase from 204" to 240". Will that make a big difference?
Old 08-31-2008, 04:30 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The salesman said </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Translation - BUYER BEWARE

First of all, I'm no mechanic or expert. My MH is 37' and on our last trip we had a couple "off the seat" experiences while driving. I'd think it's more related to quality of shocks. Also I'd think ride height accuracy and weight distribution would be factors more than wheel base. Just MHO.

I recently trade from a W24 Workhorse Chassis so I haven't had enough seat time (about 3300mi) to give a good evaluation. Yes, I like it but I need to see if the porpoising will be a problem.
Nonno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 04:14 AM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
My 08 Neptune rides horrible. I suggest you try to go with a coach with 8 airbags. The neptune only has 4. try another coach with a different chassis to see the difference.
Good Luck
Terrydix
TerryDix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 06:31 AM   #5

With an overall length of 429 inches on a 204 inch wheelbase, the ratio come out to 47.5%.

Anything less than 50% is considered dangerous by some. That is one of the problems with short Class A's.
Les Stallings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 07:47 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Our 36PDQ Camelot has a wheelbase of 224" and an overall length of 36'10" for a ratio of 50.6% and it rides like a dream.

CC
Old 09-01-2008, 07:55 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Agree about ratio. My 36PDQ is 449" L 228" WB for a 50.77% ratio. The W24 I traded was 54.5%
Nonno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 06:04 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I don't have a Neptune, but my Knight rides rough. We drove over some road today that was going to be the end of me I thought. I know some of the RR8R owners have replaced the shocks all the way around and that has helped.

My 40' does porpoise a little, but not too bad. I think the step up to the tag axle will help with that.

I think the lesson here is that for the great handling, you give up some in smoothness. The Knight ate up the mountain roads through Zion NP and surrounding areas with no problem at all. It was very comfortable to drive, and I enjoyed the handling on the curves. Made for a great driving day

--kev

2006 Monaco Knight 40PLQ | 2011 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
digNbubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 07:53 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
My 08 Cayman which I think is the same does porpoise a lot and it's a 38 footer. Side to side seems sturdy but the nose sure does bottom out and bounce.

2008 Monaco Cayman 38PBD
Up N Flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 09:40 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Test drove both over 1 year ago. Neptune road fine but porpised quite a bit. We bought a 38' Knight since the Cayman was not enough power for my taste. 1 year and 7000 miles later I had the Knight ride height adjusted and I cannot belive how nice it rides. Before the adjustment I would have to slow down on rough sections of freeway, now it just sucks up the bumps like nothing. Can't belive 3/4" made so much difference.

2008 Monaco Knight PDQ 38
NW Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 04:40 AM   #11

have an 06 neptune. the ride is ok on some roads but hard as nails on others. its a 36ftr w/ 4bag system. don't know if i would buy another because of problems i have complained about for 2 yrs that nobody can solve.ie; house batts draining w/ nothing powered,windshield moving in frame,rear camera monotor going out,toilet pipe too long in tank, etc etc etc.
06hrnept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 05:39 AM   #12

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
You mentioned your windshield was moving in the frame. I had my windshield replaced and the windshield was not glued into the rubber gasket and the gasket was not glued to the fiberglass. I called Monaco and they said that the windshield MUST be glued to both. I since found out that the glueing process out of the factory by Monaco is hit and miss. I found that an unglued windshield was very unnerving (i.e., squeak. squeak).
Old 12-14-2008, 09:21 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
I can't believe how many things I have read about on this forum.

I have a 2007 HR Neptune 34' diesel and have had some really scarey ride problems. One was going down the freeway at 55 MPH towing and we both were actually thrown up out of our seats when we hit a bad spot in the road. Thankful that we had seat belts on!! By the time we got to destination there was red fluid leaking from the hydraulic jack reservoir. The reservoir cracked. We did get back home with the hydr. jack lights blinking & beeping all the way and took it in for repair. Of course, this was covered by warranty. But, creepy!
Talk about "out of seat" experience??!!
Old 12-14-2008, 09:24 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
My windshield has been replaced 2 times. The first time it was hit by a rock from a truck. But, the second time, it just cracked from the top right corner - have no idea how that happened. Glad I have glass insurance.