RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-24-2014, 02:53 PM   #1

Why are so many Monaco's for sale?

My wife and I are considering replacing our 03 Triple E Empress to step up to a tag axle. I am seeing a lot of Monaco's for sale Dynastys, Executives, Diplomats, etc

Why is that? Because they are so good and people are stepping up to a new model? Obviously they cant be that bad as there are lots around.

I know this is a loaded question, but I would love to hear your thoughts.

wydeglyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2014, 03:00 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by wydeglyde View Post
My wife and I are considering replacing our 03 Triple E Empress to step up to a tag axle. I am seeing a lot of Monaco's for sale Dynastys, Executives, Diplomats, etc

Why is that? Because they are so good and people are stepping up to a new model? Obviously they cant be that bad as there are lots around.

That is a good question. I run a 1996 Monaco Signature and everybody that has bought newer models tell me to stick to the 1996. They say the new DEF and emission systems are crap,,,?? I want to hear everyone's thoughts also,,,

joe

joeplazek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 03:01 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Monaco is actually an ancient indian word spelled backwards - ocanom... which means "someone elses problem" LOL Just kidding... but it's the first reason that came to mind. I bet you're right tho, there are a LOT of Monacos out there and people like to upgrade, just like you're doing.
denforent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 03:07 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I will stick with my 2002 Monaco Windsor. It is a far better coach than what can be purchased today plus I don't have to put up with the DEF crap.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 03:18 PM   #5

For those of us that aren't quite as enlightened as we should be, can somebody explain DEF and when it began causing angst among Monaco owners?
Old 09-24-2014, 03:22 PM   #6
R&J

Monaco Owners Club
You have to remember that Monaco was the large builder motor homes for many years.
R&J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 03:28 PM   #7

Diesel Exhaust Fluid, It's a waste of $$ and makes people sick......
Old 09-24-2014, 03:30 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaboy473 View Post
For those of us that aren't quite as enlightened as we should be, can somebody explain DEF and when it began causing angst among Monaco owners?

DEF; Diesel Exhaust Fluid; late model engine emission control add on 2009 ? , that has caused numerous posts with complaints , due to cost , availability, tank location and access, residue build up on the toad , to name a few.
Old 09-24-2014, 04:00 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Could be an aging population. The older we get the harder it is to do the things we used to do. I was glad to find the one I have for that reason and I didn't have to sacrifice on quality or have the DEF fluid either. Or, another question could be: Why are there so many Chevrolets for sale, people just like to trade up and get a different one when they can afford to. JMHO Randy
Old 09-24-2014, 05:41 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by wydeglyde View Post

really I didn't think there were, I quick look around ebay and online doesn't show a lot of tag axle coaches for sale, where did you get your information, I have been approached twice in the last month by total strangers asking if I would sell my coach as they are having a hard time finding one,

Moxy
Moxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 05:44 PM   #11

I'm in Alberta and I have looked at 4 within 2 hours of me.
wydeglyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 06:02 PM   #12

Monacos for sale

I have a 2001 dynasty/tag. I am perfectly happy with it, wouldn't want to part with it, drives nice handles excellently.
Jstoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 06:13 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I think they sold a lot more Monaco DP than anything else beside Winnebago's. You should check out how many Winny's are out there. I feel the best value in used DP coaches out there are Monaco.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 06:42 PM   #14

National RV Owners Club
I have asked the same question myself. What I can say is that is seems that Monaco Coaches were better coaches by reputation at least earlier, say around the mid 90's to the mid 2000's. I don't remember the complete timeline but they acquired Beaver and Safari and then later themselves were consumed by Navistar and are now owned by Fleetwood. Somewhere around that time, their reputation started to slide somewhat. They were still popular with some because rather than comply with the new EPA requirments for DEF, they were paying the fines for non compliance. All I know is that some quality control issues seemed to be cropping up. I was interested in them initially because of my proximity to the Coburg factory. They stopped building there. It seems that they have had lots of niggling problems. Met one fellow with 4 slides, 3 were electric and 1 hydraulic (or vice versa). Guess they went from 3 slides to 4 and decided to use differnent systems for the 4th slide. Stuff like that kind of turned me off to them.

Tags
monaco, sale