Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-04-2020, 04:33 PM   #15

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
One thing for sure is the block heater is plugged back in tonight for a 4am departure.

Really looking forward to seeing how the new shocks and front Watts link kit perform on the trip south.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-04-2020, 04:40 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase55 View Post
Sorry for any confusion, I do not believe the 2008 Cummins has either DPF and for sure no DEF!
My 08' HR, with a 07' Cummins ISL, has a diesel particulate filter.

If yours doesn't, your coach came with one of the leftover 06' engines.
Old 11-04-2020, 05:04 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
My 08' HR, with a 07' Cummins ISL, has a diesel particulate filter.

If yours doesn't, your coach came with one of the leftover 06' engines.

Had to replace the turbo speed sensor a couple trips ago in 2019. It is a 2007 engine based on the ID plate. I have not seen or read where it had a DPF on it.

How can you tell?
Old 11-04-2020, 05:08 PM   #18
YC1

My 2008 has a DPF. Low idle can cause them to clog so I put mine into the fast idle when not annoying neighbors while the air builds.

The Intake Heater Takes enormous power and batteries at 40-50 degrees have lost a lot of umph just to start.

Idle times can easily accumulate when you add up the air ups, sitting at lights, messing about getting in and out of parks. I highly suspect Cummins was on a steep learning curve with DPF's based on the dumpster full of them when I had to have mine replaced at very low mileage.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 05:27 PM   #19

Well,

It will get blown out tomorrow with my heavy foot! If it has it.
Old 11-04-2020, 05:40 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
The 2008 is not a DEF engine. It should not require a regen. What am I missing or concerned about?
Not completely true, my 2008 is a DPF engine, depends on when the chassis was made.
I wonder if your cruise control is getting turned on in fast idle mode, see if your cruise indicator on the dash is on, it’s a feature to give you a high idle for warmup.
DennisZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 05:41 PM   #21

Quote:

How can you tell?
Don't know if this is a hard rule, but it seems the pre-DPF engines were painted black, post DPF, painted red.
If you have a DPF, there will be a couple of different hi-exhaust temp lamps in your instrument cluster.
Old 11-05-2020, 06:34 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
Don't know if this is a hard rule, but it seems the pre-DPF engines were painted black, post DPF, painted red.
If you have a DPF, there will be a couple of different hi-exhaust temp lamps in your instrument cluster.
It is Red! Ran like a top today! I guess DPF is something I have not seen or read through on any of the owner manuals. I was under the impression that DPF relied on DEF to function correctly like my 2015 RAM 6.7 Cummins.
Old 11-06-2020, 06:07 AM   #23
YC1

Quote:
It is Red! Ran like a top today! I guess DPF is something I have not seen or read through on any of the owner manuals. I was under the impression that DPF relied on DEF to function correctly like my 2015 RAM 6.7 Cummins.
No DEF on my 2008. Dpf for sure. No exhaust or Jake Brake either.

Mine has a Variable Ratio Turbo. I looked hard to find where to lube the exhaust brake mechanism and had purchased the special lube. The manual has a good picture of it. After calling Cummins I found out the Turbo handles the braking somehow.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 10:38 AM   #24

When you first turn your key to run position, look for this symbol on your instrument cluster.

https://www.yourmechanic.com/article...-spencer-cates

If you see this, you have a DPF.
Old 11-06-2020, 10:50 AM   #25

Quote:
The 2008 is not a DEF engine. It should not require a regen. What am I missing or concerned about?

The ISL started using a diesel particulate filter (DPF) in all engines built as of January 2007.
The ISL started using diesel exhaust fluid (DEF) a few years after that (2010?)
I think your ISL may have been going through a regen which will increase idle speed to accomplish the regen if it’s not being driven at that time.
Sheriffbubba is offline   Reply With Quote