RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-10-2015, 10:56 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Why does the generator compartment keeps sliding open?

The Generator compartment keeps sliding open by itself about 6 to 8 inches despite the fact that I check to make sure that he was fully retracted misteriously 15 or so minutes later I find the compartment open again, thing is , it opened over night when the generator was not running, any thoughts?
Thx

Mariooch97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-10-2015, 11:13 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Mine does that and I'm having Elite RV fix it in May. They said there is an electronic pressure solenoid (not sure that's the exact name) that goes bad and needs to be replaced.

Old 03-10-2015, 11:26 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariooch97 View Post
The Generator compartment keeps sliding open by itself about 6 to 8 inches despite the fact that I check to make sure that he was fully retracted misteriously 15 or so minutes later I find the compartment open again, thing is , it opened over night when the generator was not running, any thoughts?

Thx

Try running the slide out all the way & when it hits the stop, continue to hold the switch & let the motor run for about ten seconds. Then do the same thing retracting the slide. You might do this a couple of times. You might check the nuts on each valve body on the hydraulic pump to make sure they are snugged up.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 11:42 AM   #4

Mine creeps out about an inch every so often. Running all the way out before retracting it as Steve suggested seems to cure it.
falconman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 02:27 PM   #5

To control the fluid going to the cylinder they use a 12 volt solenoid that opens a plunger when you open or close it. The rubber seat on the plunger either has some dirt on it or the rubber seat has swollen. You can replace the whole solenoid or just open it up and replace the plunger. If it is rubber then you might want to switch to a Teflon one. These solenoid are made by Peter Paul
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 08:46 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Okay so being that I cannot leave well alone I went outside and retracted the slide one more time, but stayed there for a little while to observe, sure enough within a minute or so slowly but surely it started inching out, the conditions are as follow, motorhome engine not running generator not running, so I did precisely as suggested above slide all the way out and then slide all the way in= No change , I decided to do the same procedure only this time I started the motorhome engine first, it somehow did the trick .....so far success! If the situation persists/reoccurs I will check into the solenoid, seals etc. when things worm up a little, for now I'm a happy camper

For the record, I like to emphasize that this situation started after five or six times of opening and closing the generator compartment in subfreezing temperatures while trying to start said generator

Thank you all for the great advice/suggestions
Old 03-10-2015, 09:34 PM   #7

I am not sure what running the motor has to do with the problem. Think it was just a fluke
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 07:42 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Red face

Yep, I agree, it probably had more to do with cycling the slide to full extension and retraction a few times, i did not however held the open/close button any longer than needed to fully open/close the slide.
one way or the other ill take it.
Old 03-13-2015, 07:09 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
My Windsor has a Power Gear slide out system for the generator, it has a separate reservoir and pump. The motor is reversible for extend and retract. There is a control block on the cylinder, it is about 3" X 3". Within this block is a lock valve. See Attached File

If there is trash in the system the lock valve will get hung and not seat, allowing the slide to gradually come out or not allow the slide to work. You can remove the block and take it apart to clean, if the lock valve is hung you can "carefully" use compressed air to blow it out. If there is trash in the system I would drain the fluid, clean the system, and replace the fluid, there is not filter in the system.

I had to replace my lock valve (not the body of the valve) about 5 years ago and it has worked fine since.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Generator Slide Lock Assembly.pdf (116.3 KB, 41 views)

jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator