Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-24-2015, 06:22 AM   #15

Entegra Owners Club
Another vote for heat pumps. They really help save on your fuel usage. I don't do winter camping but still find the heat pumps really useful.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2015, 07:24 AM   #16

I ran across an ad for a 15k unit that cooled like an 18k. Their claim was that it had a motor for the compressor & a separate motor for the fan making it much more efficient. I'll try to find it & post a link.
Old 03-24-2015, 08:19 AM   #17
YC1

Just curious. Have the existing units been cleaned ?

Our dark colored MH is difficult to impossible to cool in direct sun. A cover over the front of the RV gives us a fighting change. We have one that you can see out so it does not entirely block the view. The view is actually great.

Window awnings of course help. Our hall has two large floor to ceiling windows that get miserably hot so I bought some screen material to hang over the outside. This helps tremendously.

Still, our AC's running full tilt were not up to the task. The ceiling duct work is so restrictive that the loss of air flow is dramatic. Many efforts to make them less restrictive only provided minimal improvement. Inside the air conditioners themselves I added more metal duct tape to make sure all the air goes where needed and does not leak.

Again, not a huge improvement. The registers that cover the AC had a slide mechanism and you could feel much cooler air and a huge increase in air flow.

To make this story short, I removed the slide part of the AC register and installed my own clear plastic air deflector. These things are available at any Lowes or Home Depot. They adjust width wise easily. It took a small amount of trimming to let the plastic deflector that has magnets on each end, to allow the magnets to contact metal beneath the plastic AC cover. The noise level is up of course but I can turn my fan to the lower speed if desired. The improvement in cooling is probably 25%.

To recap, the AC ducts restrict the air flow tremendously in my rv. I basically have bypassed them.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 09:14 AM   #18

Reelgator
If I were replacing both our a/c units (and may be soon with Carrier V's) I would check into one heat pump and one heat strip--if that's even possible. Heat pumps don't work very well in the 40's and I really don't like the heat pump defaulting to propane furnace when we are not present in the coach.
Old 03-30-2015, 02:34 PM   #19

Atwood Air Command is the unit that puts out 18K equivalent cooling. Is anyone familiar with this unit?