Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-14-2014, 01:15 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Will not start and Allison transmission key pad does not light on start

My Allison Gear indicator and mode light flicker once on start then go dark. With no crank and no transmission display.
Just had new batteries put in in Perry by Mastertech. There are 5 smaller fused wires coming off the chassis battery. I presume these are propane, co2, and? Maybe one goes to the ECM and they shorted it in Perry.
Coincidently, in Perry the coach would not crank immediately after Mastertech installed the new 8D Lifeline. They played with the battery while I tried to start it. After about 4 tries it started. I asked what it was and he said the bottom cut off switch must be for the top tray. I now know that is not correct so it leads me to think it may be a bad connection and they wiggled them in a Perry.

I presume when the key is turned on my transmission display should light up?
Jeff753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-14-2014, 01:35 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Since all the issues started after installing the new batteries, I'd start there. Check for continuity in all the wires and cables coming off the batteries. Since you suspect they wiggled a connection to get it started, have someone sit in driver's seat as you wiggle wires to see if a connection can be made. Then dismantle, clean, and reconnect all the wires in that area.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 01:38 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Statgeek Send a message via MSN to Statgeek Send a message via Yahoo to Statgeek
if wiggling the wiring makes things work, i wouldn't be happy until i removed and replaced every wire in your battery bay to make sure they are TIGHT. you could easily fry your new lifeline batteries with loose connections...even if you wiggle it enough to start the coach.
Statgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 01:41 PM   #4

Jeff, you are correct about the Allison ECU getting power DIRECTLY from the chassis battery without any switch of any kind. Many coaches, but not all, get that connection directly at the chassis battery terminal. If that wire is not making a good connection, you will have intermittent or dead shift pad readout.

Before defaulting to having it serviced, check all your connections, not just at the battery. There are at least a couple of plugs that connect directly to the tranny and at least one, maybe two, connecting to the ECU directly under the shift pad. Spray them with WD-40, plug and unplug a few times and try it again.

I'm not sure, but I think your engine ECU and the Allison ECU are interconnected in such a way that if the Allison ECU is dead or faulty, the engine ECU will not allow a start.

Van W. 2000 Dynasty 36, pulling one Harley
Eastern NC
Vanwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 01:56 PM   #5

check the batteries to see if dead...don't over think...start with the basics...are batteries charged?
Old 04-14-2014, 01:59 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanwill View Post
Jeff, you are correct about the Allison ECU getting power DIRECTLY from the chassis battery without any switch of any kind. Many coaches, but not all, get that connection directly at the chassis battery terminal. If that wire is not making a good connection, you will have intermittent or dead shift pad readout. Before defaulting to having it serviced, check all your connections, not just at the battery. There are at least a couple of plugs that connect directly to the tranny and at least one, maybe two, connecting to the ECU directly under the shift pad. Spray them with WD-40, plug and unplug a few times and try it again. I'm not sure, but I think your engine ECU and the Allison ECU are interconnected in such a way that if the Allison ECU is dead or faulty, the engine ECU will not allow a start. Van W. 2000 Dynasty 36, pulling one Harley Eastern NC
I will remove and inspect all connections. They redid one of the red wire crimps on the install.
I heard the control box is about 5" by 5" with some SS screws on it. Anyone know where my ECM is on my 2001 Dynasty with a 350 ISC. Would it be under the key pad or back by the bell housing?
Difficult to get under mine when I can't get it running to move it;(
Old 04-14-2014, 03:11 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by sc3283 View Post
check the batteries to see if dead...don't over think...start with the basics...are batteries charged?
That's the first thing I checked. Fully charged.
Get a flash on the shift gear display on the key turn. Then dark. Dash gauges act normal.
I don't know why I get a flicker on the key turn
Old 04-14-2014, 04:30 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Sounds like a ground problem check and clean the chassis ground.
Also check the chassis cut off switch ( like a boat disconnect, large red knob in battery compartment or rear fuse compartment) they are known to give trouble the screw inside vibrates loose sometime causing it to conect and then disconect
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 08:21 PM   #9

Back in those years of Monaco motorhomes it is very common to loose power to the Allison ECU because of a butt connector located on the small wire going from the positive battery post directly to the transmission ECU. If you follow all the small wires going out of the battery box area you will find the connector. It is 2-3ft down the wire. Most likely when you had the batteries changed you disturbed it and caused the problem. Without power to the Allison transmission ECU the neutral safety switch will not let it start
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 08:37 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Canter View Post
Back in those years of Monaco motorhomes it is very common to loose power to the Allison ECU because of a butt connector located on the small wire going from the positive battery post directly to the transmission ECU. If you follow all the small wires going out of the battery box area you will find the connector. It is 2-3ft down the wire. Most likely when you had the batteries changed you disturbed it and caused the problem. Without power to the Allison transmission ECU the neutral safety switch will not let it start
Appreciate the post Mike. I will start there.
Old 04-14-2014, 08:43 PM   #11

It has happened to many people over the years on this forum. Must have been the same person crimping those butt splice connectors on all of them.
Old 04-15-2014, 11:08 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by walt2137 View Post
Sounds like a ground problem check and clean the chassis ground. Also check the chassis cut off switch ( like a boat disconnect, large red knob in battery compartment or rear fuse compartment) they are known to give trouble the screw inside vibrates loose sometime causing it to conect and then disconect
Anyone have a part number for the battery switch. Mine looks like this now and it's pretty old.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1523732970.jpg
Views:	1863
Size:	225.9 KB
ID:	60644

Since I'm having trouble I should probably have another one
I'm not at the coach to look what the part number is on the old ones. I have two switches. One for the 8D Chassis battery and one for the 440AH 4 - 6V House Bank
Old 04-15-2014, 11:21 AM   #13

If it was a ground problem of a battery switch problem then nothing else would work off the chassis battery such as headlights and dash gauges and warning light
Old 04-15-2014, 11:27 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Canter View Post
If it was a ground problem of a battery switch problem then nothing else would work off the chassis battery such as headlights and dash gauges and warning light
Good point. And everything on the dash acts normal except the digital display of the shifter is blank. It does flash when I turn the key which might. Be an indication of a short I guess