Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-04-2014, 04:45 AM   #1

Wind Damage

I need your help. My '04 Monoco Safari Cheetah was damaged when I wrongly had all 4 slides out durning a storm that produced over 65 mph wind gusts. 3 of the 4 toppers were torn and the "rail" where the topper attaches to the body of the coach has pulled loose. My question is: "When I replace the topper material (ordered from Chris at Vos Stone), how do I re-attach that "rail" back to the body?" It appears to simply utilize some type of adhesive tape on the backside of the rail and it covers the seam where the roof and the side panel comes together.

Thanks,
Maddog7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-04-2014, 04:48 AM   #2

I had forgotten to include my signature......hopefully it is attached on this one!
Old 02-04-2014, 04:50 AM   #3

One more time.....
Old 02-04-2014, 04:59 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddog7 View Post
I need your help. My '04 Monoco Safari Cheetah was damaged when I wrongly had all 4 slides out durning a storm that produced over 65 mph wind gusts. 3 of the 4 toppers were torn and the "rail" where the topper attaches to the body of the coach has pulled loose. My question is: "When I replace the topper material (ordered from Chris at Vos Stone), how do I re-attach that "rail" back to the body?" It appears to simply utilize some type of adhesive tape on the backside of the rail and it covers the seam where the roof and the side panel comes together.

Thanks,
Maddog,

The topper has a rod sewn into the end of the fabric. If you look close you will notice a grooved channel on the side of the roof. At the end of that channel is a screw. Remove that screw and make sure the old rod is not still in the channel. If it is then slide it out. Chris may be expecting you to re-use that rod on the new fabric. You must open the slide and wind the tube to tension it. Then place a Phillips screwdriver in the hole on one end to keep the tube locked while you install the new fabric. It will help to have two people. You must slide the new fabric into the the two channels, one in the tube and one on the roof. Once the fabric is installed replace the screw to keep it in place. I belive Chris has instructions on his web site.

Most likely what happended was the thread on your old toppers was rotten from UV rays and allowed the wind to rip the fabric from the railing.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 05:31 AM   #5

Thanks Bob for the quick reply!

Chris at Vos Stone has been terrific to work with, and his material replacements does include all new beading and complete step by step instructions how to replace the fabric. My biggest problem is how to re-attach the "railing" that the beading slides into on the body. About 18" of the railing where the beading slide into has pulled loose from the body. How do I re-attach that?? It covers the seam where the body side adjoins the roof........and simply appears to utilize an adhesive tape.
Old 02-04-2014, 08:45 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Same thing happened to mine a couple years ago during a tropical storm in the Keys, altho the slides were in. Wind still got under the fabric on one slide and tore it off the roller-side. I was out there at 2am in 50mph winds, cutting the rest of the fabric off the coach-side so the flapping end wouldn't destroy the coach. A night to remember!
Anyways, the storm also pulled about 6 ft of the curved roof-to-wall piece off too, and the channel you mentioned came with it. You can find several other threads in here about repairing the curved piece that the channel is attached to, since it seems prone to pulling loose. Monaco used pop-rivets but I removed that plastic molding right under the channel and used some big stainless screws to made sure they went all the way into the wall-framing. IIRC, I'd ran some smaller screws thru that channel piece too for additional security.

I'd also suggest giving Monaco a call.

HTH,
Rusty
RustyTools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 08:52 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Not to pull this too far off-topic but coincidently I'm working with StoneVos right now in getting all of the toppers replaced. Seems to have been a yearly project to remove the old ones, get 'em resewed and put back on. This time, they helped me see the light and I'm going for new ones.

I'd noticed that the old fabric didn't seem to reach from end to end and Chris said it was common as Sunbrella shrinks and Carefree often shorted the material. The new material doesn't do that. Now I know why I've had to do repairs on 2 slides for water that was running down the slide-side and not channeled off the slide at all.

StoneVos is great to work with!
Old 02-04-2014, 09:26 AM   #8

Quote:

Thanks,
I had a similar thing happen on my 04 Dynasty a number of years ago. To reattach the rail to the body, I glued/sealed it with some heavy duty clear sealant, then used a stainless steel screw at the end to really secure it to the coach body. It's held up fine ever since.
/Jerry
Old 02-05-2014, 05:00 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyTools View Post
Same thing happened to mine a couple years ago during a tropical storm in the Keys, altho the slides were in. Wind still got under the fabric on one slide and tore it off the roller-side. I was out there at 2am in 50mph winds, cutting the rest of the fabric off the coach-side so the flapping end wouldn't destroy the coach. A night to remember!
Anyways, the storm also pulled about 6 ft of the curved roof-to-wall piece off too, and the channel you mentioned came with it. You can find several other threads in here about repairing the curved piece that the channel is attached to, since it seems prone to pulling loose. Monaco used pop-rivets but I removed that plastic molding right under the channel and used some big stainless screws to made sure they went all the way into the wall-framing. IIRC, I'd ran some smaller screws thru that channel piece too for additional security.

HTH,
Rusty
Thanks Rusty. I really appreciate knowing this is not an isolated incident and certainly will apply your proven methods of repair!
Old 02-05-2014, 05:02 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by adcockj View Post
I had a similar thing happen on my 04 Dynasty a number of years ago. To reattach the rail to the body, I glued/sealed it with some heavy duty clear sealant, then used a stainless steel screw at the end to really secure it to the coach body. It's held up fine ever since.
/Jerry
Thanks Jerry for the input. It seems you and Rusty experienced similar issues and similar methods of repair. I really appreciate your suggestions and will use those before I install the new toppers from Vos Stone.
Old 02-05-2014, 05:03 AM   #11

Quote:

HTH,
Rusty
Rusty, How long were the screws you used on the sides?
Old 02-05-2014, 01:20 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
How long? Awwww, now you're going to have make me get my brain to work. It's been awhile since I did that job, but I looked in my bin of spare hardware to see if maybe I had any leftovers, but doesn't seem like it.

Sorry I can't come up with the screw size, but I do remember them being quite large - like maybe even as big as #12 and about 2" long (don't quote me on this though). I do remember using hex-head, didn't want regular phillips-type rounding off when the screw started biting into the backing-metal. I know I used smaller screws with little heads (They were maybe #6?) to go inside the channel, even so it's a tight fit when running the fabric in there.

HTH
Old 02-05-2014, 02:08 PM   #13

Quote:
How long? Awwww, now you're going to have make me get my brain to work. It's been awhile since I did that job, but I looked in my bin of spare hardware to see if maybe I had any leftovers, but doesn't seem like it.

Sorry I can't come up with the screw size, but I do remember them being quite large - like maybe even as big as #12 and about 2" long (don't quote me on this though). I do remember using hex-head, didn't want regular phillips-type rounding off when the screw started biting into the backing-metal. I know I used smaller screws with little heads (They were maybe #6?) to go inside the channel, even so it's a tight fit when running the fabric in there.

HTH
Thanks again Rusty. I will get on this project as soon as I receive the new topper material from Chris.
Old 02-06-2014, 05:27 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Thanks again Rusty. I will get on this project as soon as I receive the new topper material from Chris.
Maddog,

Sorry but I misunderstood your original post. FYI, ACE Hardware is a good place to buy stainless steel screws. You can buy one or fifty, what ever you need.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote