Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-06-2018, 02:27 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Wind Noise - Help!?!

Hello All,
We have had our 1996 Monaco Dynasty 40' for 5 years now and love it! We live in Canada but go to Lake Powell Arizona every summer as my wife and 2 boys (8 & 12) love the Lake and Heat (too much winter up here).

Anyway I was hoping for some direction. Just getting the MH ready for our trip to AZ end of the month. I have a HORRIBLE whistling noise when I get anything North of 50mph. Never had it before BUT with the winters and temp fluctuations I am thinking my door seal is finely worn out? It is split at the corners. All the windows seal nicely so I am at a bit of a loss?

Do you know if Monaco has replacement seal kit? But with the age of MH I am sure that is a NO. Any ideas and help would be greatly appreciated. Travelling all the way to AZ with that whistle just cannot be an option

Thanks for your thoughts in advance!!!
Doug
GoLakePowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-06-2018, 02:33 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Would some plain old weatherstrip around the door make things quiet enough to buy you some time to find something more 'proper' for a permanent fix?
Old 07-06-2018, 04:26 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Some of these coaches have an inflatable door seal. The seal inflates up to 4 psi when it is closed and the transmission is in gear. Do you know if you have this style? Your owners manual would say.

If you do it could be an issue with the seal leaking, or the air pressure regulator or electrical signal to the solenoid.

such as this:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	84
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	209844  
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 09:31 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Check out this website. They have lots of seal options, maybe you can find something similar

https://rv.steelerubber.com/
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 09:58 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
I have a 1996 Monaco Windsor, and last year after leaving the Kentucky M&G, heading to NJ, going thru Pa. I heard this very loud whistling noise, HUH? Never had that before, so I had the DW start looking around and try to pinpoint where it was coming from? She said I sounds like it is coming from the top of the windshield on her side by the door! So, at the next rest area I stopped and dug out the ladder, and sure enough, the windshield had slid down about a inch, it was bulging the rubber gasket out at the bottom, and at the top corner there was about a half inch gap around the top corner! I got out some duct tape, and taped it up the best I could, and we went on to the CG we had reservations at in NJ. The next morning I called a auto glass shop that was near, and ask the guy if he could come out and look at it? He got there, checked it out, and pulled all the old urethane rubber sealant out, we reset the windshield, then he re-urethaned the gasket and windshield in place, did the drivers side too, just for good measure, and told me to let it cure for 24 hours, before moving it! It has not moved since!

So check your windshields, make sure they are seated right, and no gaps!

Hope this helps! And I don't think our vintage Monaco's have the air door seal! I know mine does not, and I am thinking the Dynasty does not either!
I get no noise from my door, and when the windshield started leaking, it was loud, compared to the really quiet before! Rail!
PS, I think the rough roads in Pa. were the cause, along the urethane giving up its grip after all the years!
Old 07-07-2018, 09:24 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I had the same issue, and it was cracks the windshield gasket. Sealed it with silicone and no more problem.
monacojim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 09:37 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podivin View Post
Would some plain old weatherstrip around the door make things quiet enough to buy you some time to find something more 'proper' for a permanent fix?

Took the words out of my mouth. At least you could pinpoint where the problem is.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 10:05 AM   #8
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

I can't add to what others have suggested.

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 05:57 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Thank you!!!

Everyone THANK-YOU so much for the valuable info!

You are not going to believe this, but as I was reading through your posts I was walking around looking at the door etc:

1. Podivin mentioned the weather-stripping, but it actually looked quite good except for the inner screen door, but it got me thinking maybe leak past first seal then of course through secondary screen door seal...hmmm
  2. Then I looked into more detail to see if I have the vacuum system as mentioned by CountryB...I found it does not have that option (looks like a slick system though...) hmmm
  3. So then I was standing thinking about things (having some nice weather up here...with coffee in hand) I came to Guardrail53's comment about the window!!! OH MY GOSH I was looking at the window and something just didn't look right...YES...a quarter inch open gap at the bottom of the driver side! Unbelievable as I traced around both windows, you could distinctly see both windows popped from the seal.
So I proceeded to test (of course it had to be the windshield now...but I wanted to see how quiet it could be...haha). I taped off the windshield with 2" Blue painters masking tape then took it out on the highway for a 70mph run. NOT THE SLIGHTEST bit of noise!!!

THANK-YOU THANK-YOU...off to the windshield shop this week!

Cheers,
Doug
GoLakePowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 08:52 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Does anybody know which year/models had the inflatable seal? My 09 came with an 08 manual & not much else.
Old 07-08-2018, 09:01 PM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
guardrail53, great job with that immediate response and fix for the OP.

Amazing that a poster in Canada gets that quick of a correct response and fix from a Monaco owner in Thailand!!!!

WOW!!! Don't you just love this forum??

Tags
noise, wind noise