Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-11-2021, 01:08 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Window Valance

The bedroom window valances were pretty worn and faded when we bought the coach five years ago. I was always going to replace them, but something always came up that was more important or fun. I decided to take the bull by the horn and pulled one down while waiting for the roof paint to dry.

They were much worse than I thought. They were stained and I think maybe moldy on the inside of the frame. You couldnít tell how dirty they were from the outside. Surprisingly, the wall and shade are clean and in good shape. Katherine took one look and decided she didnít want upholstery back up there.

I whipped this out yesterday afternoon. Itís just a copy of the original in cherry I had laying around the shop. Iím thinking of just using polyurethane over the natural wood.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C99DDBE3-C758-47FF-875C-44D573435A34.jpeg
Views:	7
Size:	231.4 KB
ID:	324626   Click image for larger version

Name:	563CB250-9EEB-463D-8E78-B1AE66F65508.jpeg
Views:	10
Size:	256.4 KB
ID:	324627  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-11-2021, 01:57 PM   #2

window valiance

try linseed oil on a scrap piece of wood it may match. I used it on mine but my cherry seems to be a bit darker than yours but it is worth the time to try before polyurethane
TGAWLAK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 06:35 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Looks good!
I like the look of natural wood, in some cases the imperfections give it character, some people don't like the look but I do.

You'll have to test on scrap wood to best match the color. I have read that leaving the pieces exposed to the sun helps them darken. You may also test different oils, I've had good luck with Danish oil, darkens cherry quite a bit, I did my kitchen cabinets with this. One IRV2 poster has had good luck with Watco spray Lacquer for small projects, quicker then dragging out the compressor and spray gun. https://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/jus...444980-73.html post 1014!
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 06:38 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Window Valance

That looks great!

+1 on Danish oil, one of my favorites for Cherry projects.

Do your part.....
Spk64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 06:41 PM   #5

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Dennis,
Looks great, thanks for the idea
Terry
Pillbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 06:44 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by barmcd View Post
The bedroom window valances were pretty worn and faded when we bought the coach five years ago. I was always going to replace them, but something always came up that was more important or fun. I decided to take the bull by the horn and pulled one down while waiting for the roof paint to dry.

They were much worse than I thought. They were stained and I think maybe moldy on the inside of the frame. You couldnít tell how dirty they were from the outside. Surprisingly, the wall and shade are clean and in good shape. Katherine took one look and decided she didnít want upholstery back up there.

I whipped this out yesterday afternoon. Itís just a copy of the original in cherry I had laying around the shop. Iím thinking of just using polyurethane over the natural wood.
I had to fix the cherry covers near the floor on my bedroom slide out. Previous owner repaired it with glue and drywall screws. I read somewhere that they used spar varnish on the wood. It matched perfectly.
Old 04-11-2021, 07:02 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGAWLAK View Post
try linseed oil on a scrap piece of wood it may match. I used it on mine but my cherry seems to be a bit darker than yours but it is worth the time to try before polyurethane
Iím not sure I want to use linseed oil on something attached to the wall. I have used it on furniture and you have to re-apply it periodically. I think itíd dry out much faster in a motorhome in Texas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
Looks good!
I like the look of natural wood, in some cases the imperfections give it character, some people don't like the look but I do.

You'll have to test on scrap wood to best match the color. I have read that leaving the pieces exposed to the sun helps them darken. You may also test different oils, I've had good luck with Danish oil, darkens cherry quite a bit, I did my kitchen cabinets with this. One IRV2 poster has had good luck with Watco spray Lacquer for small projects, quicker then dragging out the compressor and spray gun. https://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/jus...444980-73.html post 1014!
Iíll look at Danish oil and maybe Tung oil too Jim. Thanks.
Old 04-11-2021, 07:06 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pillbox View Post
Dennis,
Looks great, thanks for the idea
Terry
Youíre welcome Terry. The original was two pieces, the lower frame and valance, stapled together at the upper corners. I just copied their design with stock milled to 5/8Ē. The original was 1/2Ē plywood with foam glued to it under the fabric.
Old 04-11-2021, 09:19 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Dennis I did a cherry dash and new cabinet where the old TV had been. I used Tung oil on both and was very pleased. One big advantage to Tung oil is that you sand it while it is wet then wipe dry. Sanding it with wet and dry paper will make it smooth as silk. Several coats, cures hard and stays that way. Satin finish that way and if you want more shine wipe on more until desire sheen achieved. Good luck, Don.
DiplomatDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 05:07 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
Looks good!

Yep that was me..... My '04 Camelot has natural cherry cabinets and I found that semi gloss Watco lacquer from Walmart works perfect both to touch up dry areas and to finish new cherry replacement parts. It is like magic and can be sprayed right over existing parts with no masking and it blends in without even touching it. On new sanded cherry I typically spray a bunch of coats over a day or two. Comes out looking great.

Here are pics of a new bigger tv cabinet I made for my project. My simple lacquer finish matches the existing side cabinets nicely in my opinion. I have also re spot sprayed many of my existing cabinets throughout the coach that had dry areas from sitting open after the wreck. You cannot tell I sprayed it anywhere and most was done without any prep work other than cleaning first to remove any possible old furniture polish.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20200404_100246373.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	131.2 KB
ID:	324693   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200409_175816677.jpg
Size:	241.3 KB
ID:	324694  

Name:	IMG_20200415_204233782.jpg
Size:	232.7 KB
ID:	324695   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200415_204301353.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	232.3 KB
ID:	324696  

TRH299 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 10:52 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Well, none of the finishes, Minwax Poly, Watco Lacquer or Danish oil, darkened the wood appreciably. Its really light wood and its been buried in my lumber pile not getting any light. I ended going with a cherry stain so it comes close to matching the cabinets. I'm going with the Watco lacquer for a top coat. Thanks for the input.
Old 04-12-2021, 12:21 PM   #12

It seems that even the regular polyurethane is not as dark or brings out grain like the old stuff did. Water based is great but doesn't enhance grain like 1st coat in regular polyurethane. It's real apparent trying just to get a natural golden oak color. Back in the day would just slap a coat of poly on . Now it seems you need to stain to get that nice color.
153stars is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 12:42 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I made a small cabinet for our unit out of cherry in an attempt to match the cherry woodwork in the unit. I played around with finishes until I hit on Minnwax cherry stain and Minnwax wat er soluble varnish. I had to stain the cherry with cherry stain to get it anywhere dark enough, but I still left it a little lighter than the other woodwork because it will darken itself over time. The drawers on top are from the unit.
Attached Images

2002 Journey DL 36, 3126 Cat 330hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 12:45 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by barmcd View Post
I really like that look for replacing the valences. I think if you don't mind I will steal it.
2002 Journey DL 36, 3126 Cat 330hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wind, window