Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-22-2016, 07:06 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
I'm on the 4th shield on our 04 HR Imperial. One simply cracked while parked at a CG and others did it while going down the road. Monaco blamed it on improper leveling but it happened on a virtually level pad the first time. The current one as cracked on the passenger side lower corner and is starting to shift around at the corners. I have $500 deductable so #5 coming up has me $2500 down to a defective designed and poorly constructed coach. We use the rig all the time so we have an unusual exposure to damage we now have 130k+ on the coach. Has anyone had a insurance company refuse to cover cracked shields when you have comprehensive insurance?
Ron
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-23-2016, 09:47 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pusherpilot View Post
I'm on the 4th shield on our 04 HR Imperial. One simply cracked while parked at a CG and others did it while going down the road. Monaco blamed it on improper leveling but it happened on a virtually level pad the first time. The current one as cracked on the passenger side lower corner and is starting to shift around at the corners. I have $500 deductable so #5 coming up has me $2500 down to a defective designed and poorly constructed coach. We use the rig all the time so we have an unusual exposure to damage we now have 130k+ on the coach. Has anyone had a insurance company refuse to cover cracked shields when you have comprehensive insurance?
Ron
My insurance company pays for chip and small crack repair. The last time I used it, they said if the crack was longer than a $1 bill, the glass would have to be replaced and I'd have to pay the deductible. I assume there wouldn't be any issue with the motor home either.
Old 02-23-2016, 05:49 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by trtn95 View Post
From my understanding only one piece windows

Sorry to say it happens to 2 piece windshields also that's why Monaco I believe wants you to put front jacks down first atleast on the 2004 I had that popped the windshield out.
Old 02-23-2016, 06:12 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
Sorry to say it happens to 2 piece windshields also that's why Monaco I believe wants you to put front jacks down first atleast on the 2004 I had that popped the windshield out.
The auto leveling jacks (3point) on our 04 Imperial put the front jack down first then the rears. If auto level fails you are not supposed to try to finish it manually. In fact monaco stopped calling the jacks "leveling" and went to "stabilizing" when all the trouble with broken and popped out windshields started. It was apparent to me, after a couple of rallys with Monaco service and marketing in attendance, That since marketing referred to the jacks as levelers and engineering/service called them stabilizers that there was an internal conflict in Monaco over the problem.
Ron
Old 02-24-2016, 05:53 PM   #19

Windshield popping out

I also had the very aggravating issue of my curb side windshield constantly leaking and shifting. Had the WS sealed a few times which solved the problem until it shifted again. I used the onboard level which I found to way off and now use my Iphone and place it in the fridge. When I was leveling using the on board level and usually at very level sites I had an problem with my basement doors. They would rack and even strike the the main body. I apologize for taking so long to get to the point. I read an article here that a gentlemen (sorry I don't have his name) wrote explaining that when leveling don't take all the air out of your air bags. He stated that if you have the system emptied and attempt to say just raise the rear jacks a few inches without raising the front enough this then causes a racking to the body. Since reading and applying his theory I no longer fully empty the air bags and then I level out. I no longer get any racking and windshield problems are gone. Hope this helps. Mike B
timeforus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 07:57 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by timeforus View Post
I also had the very aggravating issue of my curb side windshield constantly leaking and shifting. Had the WS sealed a few times which solved the problem until it shifted again. I used the onboard level which I found to way off and now use my Iphone and place it in the fridge. When I was leveling using the on board level and usually at very level sites I had an problem with my basement doors. They would rack and even strike the the main body. I apologize for taking so long to get to the point. I read an article here that a gentlemen (sorry I don't have his name) wrote explaining that when leveling don't take all the air out of your air bags. He stated that if you have the system emptied and attempt to say just raise the rear jacks a few inches without raising the front enough this then causes a racking to the body. Since reading and applying his theory I no longer fully empty the air bags and then I level out. I no longer get any racking and windshield problems are gone. Hope this helps. Mike B
I've been using that practice, keeping aired up, for a few yrs now and have only broken one shield since. The latest is now cracked and popped out on both lower corners. I had let the air out of the bags to get the coach to level on a really off level site. The shield came out of both lower corners so I aired it back up and tried again. Am now level and everything is back to normal with the shield and gasket. Don't know when I'll get it replaced. Perhaps in Texas on our way back to Mo.
Ron
Old 04-04-2020, 07:48 PM   #21

I have a 2007 Holiday Rambler Neptune XL. The windshield was replaced once by the previous owner after it was cracked by a rock. The second windshield was replaced by me in May, 2019, after a trip to Perry, GA. from Texas. We blamed the windshield popping out of both top corners on the rough roads. The rubber gasket and windshield were both replaced but on a trip to Arizona last week both corners popped out again. I don't let the air out my airbags when leveling, Is there a permanent fix?
SafetyFirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 09:42 AM   #22

We had the windshield replaced on our 07 Camelot in 2017, Geico covered the cost (less the $500 deductible) because it was cracked by flying debris. Over my mild objection, Geico made us use Medford OR based safelite windshield shop.
In Feb of this year while driving up Interstate 5 against a 40 mile an hour wind the upper corner on driver side popped out. A slight hissing turned into something like a jet taking off. Pulled off, called Geico looking for advice on roadside assistance and was happy to hear that the “windshield was covered for as long as I owned the coach”. Limped to Modesto the next morning and the great team at Don’s levered and glued the ws back in place for a temporary repair and we went on our way. Navigating the warranty repair approval process for a complete removal and reset done by the amazing team at Coach Glass in Coburg consisted of no less than 20 calls with Geico, Safelite (who ultimately denied the claim) and Coach Glass. In the end, I went out of pocket for the repair at Coach Glass and Geico reimbursed me. Can’t say enough about the folks that do the work, and with some pushing Geico did the right thing. There is a lot of information out there about the different Monaco models and the one piece windshields. If you any are interested in what I was told, you can message me directly. Wish you all well in dealing with COVID. Stay safe, and stay healthy.