Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-04-2022, 11:13 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Good point, I took a brief look at it this AM, Yes I could cut down the height of the TV box and cut it back some to reduce the potential of hitting it. Just trying to wrap my head around whether it would be worth the effort.

Here are some pictures of what I currently have, I did this mode about ~6 years ago. I used a standard TV wall mount, I fastened a square tube ballister in the box and positioned it so that when the TV was all the way in it would be centered in the box. This does allow me to move the TV for better viewing. I added a shelf in the box and we store stuff in it now, I would loose some of the space if I modified the box.

My only real complaint right now is the head banging I get every once in a while when entering the RV.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03012.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	179.0 KB
ID:	358289   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03013.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	200.8 KB
ID:	358290  

Name:	DSC03014.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	272.1 KB
ID:	358291  
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-04-2022, 05:38 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Maybe you could cut and re-angle the front edge with the bottom closer to the windshield. That would get rid of the "head hunter" we have all met.... Following the same angle but back flush with the outer cabinet front edge could give you about 3 inches at the impact area.

With your mount I bet repositioning and re-setting the angle wouldn't be to hard. Probably wouldn't loose too much inside storage space either.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20220304_160425.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	125.6 KB
ID:	358307  
JellyBean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 08:28 PM   #17

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
My factory cabinet probably protrudes about the same as Jellybean's, and I've never hit it, nor seen anyone else.

*edit* My bad. Just went out and checked, and the bottom of my TV cabinet is about 4" closer to the windshield than the component cabinet beside it.
Old 03-05-2022, 09:26 AM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
In our 06, I was able to get a 43" late model Sony. It is very thin, depth wise, and fit very well. The only cut I had to make was to cut the top board along the ceiling down to about 5/8" from about 2 1/2" wide, and I used a swivel mount like JacJaws. It worked out very well. I can't send a picture right now though. It has a wide but small Magnovax I think, the width came from the speakers on the end of the TV, therefore the cabinte was really wide, only lacking in the height aspect. Hope this may help. Happy Trails Bert
Old 03-08-2022, 03:26 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
TV mod

Hi James. Replying to your post about installing a bigger tv up front. I have a 2004 Windsor and took out the old tv and replaced it with a 40" Visio. Actual size is 36" x 21". I mounted it on the outside of the box. It is so thin it only protrudes a couple of inches. The only thing I had to do was cut about an inch off of each side cabinet door. I cut them on the side away from the tv so that the cut does not even show. I made a wide L bracket out of Steel mounted on the floor of the cabinet up to the mounting screws on the tv. It is very solid and does mot move. Don't have storage, but I wanted solid. I don't know it Visio still makes a 40" but any 40" TV should work. I can try to send a picture if you like.
jarea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 09:52 AM   #20

We moved ours

We decided to move the TV and rebuild the cabinet about the driver. We have a 2001 Monaco Knight and are redoing the interior. Here is a picture of the cabinet area now above the driver. Where the TV is still open and I will use it for any maps or other items I want to put my hands on fast. The TV will be in a cabinet I am building that will be behind the passenger seat. I am building it to fit a 42" TV on a lift with a electric fireplace in front to add to the heating of our unit.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PXL_20220309_005520019.MP.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	246.2 KB
ID:	358698  
Knight Bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 01:12 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
I'm considering finally doing away with the front TV box/head banger.

My issue is that on either side of the TV box there is 2" of space available on either side if I can move the flip up cabinet doors over. But even with the 4" I don't have enough room for a 40" TV to fit without overlapping the cabinet openings. From what I've seen there isn't anything smaller till you get to a 32" which is what I have.

Options would be to completely revamp the front cabinets and make new of redo the cabinet doors which I'm hesitant to do. I would still like to use the box for storage also. My current TV I have mounted on a swing out arm which actually works pretty well.

What have others done to get a new TV to fit?? I know of a recent post that used a flip up mechanism, but the ceiling height in my rig is low and although it would work for my 5'6" height it might be an issue for others, not sure of the look also.
That head banger is really a pain. Especially for my 2000 Windsor, it is directly above the diver's seat.
Sinyyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 07:29 AM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinyyl View Post
That head banger is really a pain. Especially for my 2000 Windsor, it is directly above the diver's seat.
Mine is mounted right in the center and if you are not careful you'll hit it as you are coming up the stairs. This usually happens when I haven't been in the RV for a while but over time muscle memory results in me tipping my head as I enter the coach. But it still happens.

I still haven't decided which route I'm going to take as to keeping the existing 32" TV, buying a newer user friendly 32" TV, or upgrading to a 40" TV and redoing the cabinets.

No real hurry, been busy doing other around the house projects.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 08:56 AM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
My previous owner installed a 40" flatscreen that was a great upgrade from the original CRT, but a pretty bad head-banger. It was very thick and probably extended 6" past the cabinet fronts... with a sharp corner too.
If you wind up with a bigger screen, something to possibly keep in mind is what might bang into it other than your head...
The more desirable TVs have no bezels and very thin delicate edges. I was concerned about somebody entering the coach carrying something hard that could impact the edge of the tv and ruin the display. So I picked a tv that has a distinct outer bezel that is radiused.
Cheers,
Walter

Tags
wind, windsor