Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-05-2021, 03:14 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
I've been contemplating trying to wire my Bluesea ML-ACR so that it isolates the generator if I'm running it while driving.

Has anyone done this???

Someone suggested isolating the batteries while starting, this would separate the batteries while starting but also keep them separated a couple minutes when the engine is first running, taking a load off if the house batteries are partially discharged.

Now I'm concerned with alternator and generator competing with each other if the I start the generator while driving. To date I hadn't had to do that but in the past during hot weather we'd run the generator to use the front AC. My wife is taking a trip in ~week and may have to do this.
2 and often 3 ( solar ) charging sources share charging, not compete with each other. They are all voltage controlled so overcharging isn't an issue.

But if it's what you want to do, wire in a simple relay that when signaled by the generator running, sends a signal to the proper terminal of the Blue Sea control to open it.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2021, 04:25 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
2 and often 3 ( solar ) charging sources share charging, not compete with each other. They are all voltage controlled so overcharging isn't an issue.

But if it's what you want to do, wire in a simple relay that when signaled by the generator running, sends a signal to the proper terminal of the Blue Sea control to open it.
Or, since if the alternator is putting out u are in the drivers seat, turn the switch to off?
shootist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 05:21 PM   #59

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by shootist View Post
Or, since if the alternator is putting out u are in the drivers seat, turn the switch to off?

I monitor my system and can easily use the switch.

The problem is my wife can't/won't/wouldn't, need I say more
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 07:06 PM   #60

There are three isolation wires but I just went to drawings and directions it only shows using #1 .
If others are active I'm contemplating how,when,with and what to use isolate. Maybe ignition on type 12v wire control to N.O. contacts on 120v relay fed by generator only. 120v and ignition 12v then it isolates . I think I have a generator 120v junction box right under center of dash exterior. You might have a generator 12v you can tap off that might work but I don't have a diagram to look at mine is a 7.5 boxed Generac scabbed into old 10K open frame Onan wiring . Also some genny controls might not play well with even small relay coil ,if digital controls or dry type contacts . If you want to combine banks for slides or jacks when genny running use the combine switch .
Quote:
Yes, I know that I could use the switch to isolate both charging sources.

The problem is that my wife will not monitor the system and has no interest in "learning" how it works. Tired to explain it to her today (again) and her eyes just glaze over.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 08:04 AM   #61

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 153stars View Post
There are three isolation wires but I just went to drawings and directions it only shows using #1 .
If others are active I'm contemplating how,when,with and what to use isolate. Maybe ignition on type 12v wire control to N.O. contacts on 120v relay fed by generator only. 120v and ignition 12v then it isolates . I think I have a generator 120v junction box right under center of dash exterior. You might have a generator 12v you can tap off that might work but I don't have a diagram to look at mine is a 7.5 boxed Generac scabbed into old 10K open frame Onan wiring . Also some genny controls might not play well with even small relay coil ,if digital controls or dry type contacts . If you want to combine banks for slides or jacks when genny running use the combine switch .

Thanks, I have a generator sense wire that was connected to my BIRD that I can use for one isolation wire. Have to find an ignition 12 volt source, will do some checking today. There may be a wire off the BIRD that also.

May leave it as is for now, my wife is taking the motorhome next week to a dog show and don't want to take a chance for now.
Old 10-06-2021, 08:11 AM   #62

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post

Thanks twinboat,

I did send PM's to two others who are very knowledgeable and both said they didn't do the isolation but monitor and disconnect via switch if needed.

I know of one person that wired in the Bluesea to isolate while starting this is a ~2 minute delay to give the alternator time to get up to speed before putting a big load on i.

But have yet to see any posts to isolate while the generator is running.

It actually takes a signal from both the generator and the chassis.

Will look today.
Old 10-06-2021, 01:16 PM   #63

Monaco Owners Club
So I found wires that were attached to the BIRD (that I removed) that would work to isolate the Bluesea ML-ACR. There was the generator sense wire and the ignition wire.

I went ahead and wired them in using a fuse holder but left the fuses out for the time being.

I'll let my wife take the rig on her trip next week and then spend some time confirming operation.

I'll report back when I'm done testing.

I also removed the old BIRD and Lambert maintainer from the bay. This freed up some realestate.

Since there was a relay controlling the chassis power to the Lambert I decided to go ahead and use that circuit to install a small fuse panel that is controlled by the ignition. I simply had to reverse the power wire on the relay terminal connector so that power comes on with the ignition. I installed a circuit breaker in front of the fuse panel.

I had been contemplating installing a EGT and this will make it easier since I've already got extra wires run to that front.
Old 10-06-2021, 02:42 PM   #64

You would still want to use one source to a relay coil and other to NO contact . Will the the Lambert do that for you as wired. You still want to combine while driving , unless the genny is running . As well as combine when just the genny is running.
Old 10-06-2021, 03:11 PM   #65

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 153stars View Post
You would still want to use one source to a relay coil and other to NO contact. You still want to combine while driving , unless the genny is running . As well as combine when just the genny is running.

The way it is now it will combine when there is any charging source, so it combines driving down the road, it combines when plugged in, combines when running the generator. I used it on my ~5 week trip and it worked great.

Never ran the generator while driving and that is my concern but after some posts from others now I'm second guessing myself.
Old 10-06-2021, 10:40 PM   #66

Consistently only issues I've read ...even where owners combined due to issues with a jumper or such even large solar array, was the inverter or charge controller charging higher than the alternator. It's resting and kicking low charge lamp . if you sort through Bluesea manufacture vids.... maybe I seen on Utube ...they even kicked in a large LA battery bank that was pretty low and it didn't pull massive amps at all like cranking a motor.
Old 10-07-2021, 05:09 AM   #67

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
This all interesting conversation but I’m not quite getting it. Maybe one of you could explain what I have and what would be better if your going to be at LZD in Feb?
Old 10-07-2021, 07:00 AM   #68

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmw188 View Post
This all interesting conversation but I’m not quite getting it. Maybe one of you could explain what I have and what would be better if your going to be at LZD in Feb?

There will be a number of people at LZD to show you the mod.

I replaced my Lambert maintainer, BIRD, and Isolation Solenoid (all of which you have) with the Bluesea ML-ACR.
It will combine both battery banks is if senses a charging source. Driving down the road it senses the alternator charge and combines. Parked and plugged in it senses the inverter charge and combines.

Some people have posted about the option to isolate the banks under certain conditions. While starting for instance, and once the alternator starts charging it will combine but you can isolate it for ~2 minutes so that it gives the alternator a chance to stabilize, this is good if you were boon docking and house batteries are down.

Other option is to isolate if you are running generator while driving.

This was my question. But now I'm questioning this as if I wire it to isolate while driving it will also isolate while parked boondocking and running the generator and it won't charge the chassis battery.

One option is to just isolate manually using the switch at the dash. I can do this but my wife doesn't understand they system and has no interest in learning.
Old 10-07-2021, 07:30 AM   #69
YC1

Well done sir! You just needed some moral support and aspirin for the aching muscles and probably some band-aids.

I too used a conduit to run some of my own wiring. Cat 5 actually.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 07:53 AM   #70

Quote:
There will be a number of people at LZD to show you the mod.

I replaced my Lambert maintainer, BIRD, and Isolation Solenoid (all of which you have) with the Bluesea ML-ACR.
It will combine both battery banks is if senses a charging source. Driving down the road it senses the alternator charge and combines. Parked and plugged in it senses the inverter charge and combines.

Some people have posted about the option to isolate the banks under certain conditions. While starting for instance, and once the alternator starts charging it will combine but you can isolate it for ~2 minutes so that it gives the alternator a chance to stabilize, this is good if you were boon docking and house batteries are down.

Other option is to isolate if you are running generator while driving.

This was my question. But now I'm questioning this as if I wire it to isolate while driving it will also isolate while parked boondocking and running the generator and it won't charge the chassis battery.

One option is to just isolate manually using the switch at the dash. I can do this but my wife doesn't understand they system and has no interest in learning.
Just curious, why would you have a BIRD and a Lambert maintainer ?

The Lambert does what a Bi-Directional control does.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
install