Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-26-2015, 06:35 PM   #1

Winegard Rayzar Automatic OTA Antenna

Does anyone have any experience with the Winegard Rayzar Automatic OTA antenna? It is approximately $350. It includes an automated signal search feature that physically rotates the internal antenna through 360 degrees, then orients the antenna initially to the “best compromise” position to receive the largest number of stations.

I have abandoned my project to upgrade the Braund motorized antenna originally installed on my 2000 Dynasty, and I’m seeking some kind of powered PHYSICALLY ROTATING directional antenna. Although I have a very knowledgeable friend who says the omnidirectional Winegards are as good as the directional ones like the Rayzar Automatic, from my old ham radio days I remember that even a poor directional antenna had greater range than any omni.
Vanwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-26-2015, 09:59 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Van, I'm interested in the Rayzar too but don;t know much about it. We have a Batwing Sensar Pro now but it has to be manually aimed and sometimes conflicts with the dish if it is up too. I am curious about whether the Rayzar really pulls in the channels as well as the Batwing. I have been told that almost nothing will pull the channels as well as it. I'll be interested in seeing how this turns out.

Roy
Old 03-27-2015, 08:57 AM   #3

Roy, I may have to be the guinea pig for this antenna. Can't find anyone who has tried it. If I choose a rotating antenna, I need something powered, so Sandy can operate it. There are not many options out there.

BTW, thanks again for the Marinco plug. Made up the new power cord, and it is SUPER flexible.
Old 03-27-2015, 06:51 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanwill View Post
Roy, I may have to be the guinea pig for this antenna. Can't find anyone who has tried it. If I choose a rotating antenna, I need something powered, so Sandy can operate it. There are not many options out there.

BTW, thanks again for the Marinco plug. Made up the new power cord, and it is SUPER flexible.
Van,

I was not familiar with the Winegard Rayzar Automatic OTA antenna so read over the description on the Winegard site. My impression is that it would be an excellent choice for Sandy. It sounds like it works similar to Winegard's satellite antenna system and does a 360 degree sweep for usable over the air signals. Its not cheap but it must have a microprocessor based control board with software and a motor.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 08:44 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
But does it actually get better reception? Pretty skeptical here. Hopefully someone on the forum has bit the bullet and can give some real world advice.
fastcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 04:30 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
This one looks interesting too.

AntennaCraft Programmable Direction Mini-State TV Antenna (HDMS9100) from Solid Signal
scep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 04:42 AM   #7

I installed the standard Rayzer on my MH last year and I think it pulls in a signal better than the bat wing I had before.

But I have to turn mine manually..Sorry I can't help any further..

Mike
Lincolnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 05:29 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastcat View Post
But does it actually get better reception? Pretty skeptical here. Hopefully someone on the forum has bit the bullet and can give some real world advice.
Van is in need of an over the air antenna that does not have to be rotated manually that he can replace his existing electrically rotated antenna with. That antenna is no longer manufactured and has problems. The Rayzar Automatic has the additional advantage that Sandy does not have to run a software application to locate local stations. The Rayzar Automatic does a sweep and presents a 360 degree pattern of Red LED's indicating usable stations. The Rayzar will align with the strongest but can manually be overridden to advance to the next group of stations. The stations are grouped by signal strength. It is not unusual to be in a location where one station is offset 90 to 100 degrees from the other major stations. When we camp in Tampa or Orlando we aim the Batwing in the direction of CBS and the other major networks come in fine on the back side of the antenna. If we aim the antenna at the major group then CBS will be to weak to watch.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 07:08 AM   #9

I just ordered the Winegard Rayzar Automatic. As Bob stated, it indeed has a "real" motorized directional antenna inside the protective outer casing. I'll report back when I get it installed and tried out. Thanks for everyone's replies.
Old 03-28-2015, 01:19 PM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Just read an independent test of the Rayzar automatic.. Did not do bad... The basic Batwing did better though.

A Batwing with Sensar Pro and Wingman... Now that is the combo to beat (I know,,,,,, I am watching via that path just now... NOT possible without the wingman and sensar pro)
Old 03-28-2015, 07:39 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Just read an independent test of the Rayzar automatic.. Did not do bad... The basic Batwing did better though.

A Batwing with Sensar Pro and Wingman... Now that is the combo to beat (I know,,,,,, I am watching via that path just now... NOT possible without the wingman and sensar pro)
Well, I'm not ashamed to admit when I've made a mistake...or a bad purchase. I'll let you all know how it works when I get it installed. I don't really have a basis to compare it to, but I'll try to find someone in a park somewhere with a batwing and compare.
Old 03-31-2015, 05:26 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Old 04-01-2015, 08:03 AM   #13

I have a terrible Jensen omni that this looks like it would be a easy replacement for since were it is located I can't have a crank handle. Best of luck to you and I really hope it's performance is decent. Keep us posted. Thanks
hondavalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 10:29 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Van, I had one installed about a month ago. Park, push the start button, it rotates around, and in about two minutes shows you how many channels it found. Usually the number of channels it shows is less than what you can actually see / receive. You can override it's pointing choice / selection if you prefer. Reception and number of channels seems to be comparable to old Braun motorized that it replaced. I poised the question to Winegard before I purchased it on what was better: the Rayzar or Sensor Batwing with the wingman. They stated, " the ability of the Rayzar to point / aim would be better than a human could point / aim for best signal. Batwing with wingman might have slight edge in distant / fringe ares. I am well pleased with it, basically automatic, hit the button,....wait two minutes, then scan your channels in with TV tuner or digital tuner box and you are watching tv. A little more dollars, but for me it was worth it. Hope your results are good as well! OKDynasty

Tags
antenna