RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-30-2020, 05:49 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigman1 View Post
Welcome to the Winegard tap dance. Have you gotten to the service/technical rep who reads you the same lines off their computer time after time regardless of what you ask them? A bit over 2 years ago I got sick of it and junked it. Bought a RF Mogul and haven't looked back. The mogul controller is faster, more accurate and has a wider tuning envelope than Trav'lers. In addition, you can get actual technical information over the phone, and they will furnish you parts rather than requiring you send the whole antenna back before they'll even tell you if they'll be able to fix it. When Winegard was the only game in town, you had no choice, but there are good alternatives out there now.
How was the RF Mogul install? Did you do it yourself? I looked at their website, read about it. Look like a possibility. It's between that and "backpedaling" sort of to a small one-LNB dome like I had on my last coach. The only DishNet choice other than Winegard appears to be King.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2020, 10:10 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpasetto View Post
How was the RF Mogul install? Did you do it yourself? I looked at their website, read about it. Look like a possibility. It's between that and "backpedaling" sort of to a small one-LNB dome like I had on my last coach. The only DishNet choice other than Winegard appears to be King.
Mogul is lighter and smaller than the Trav'ler and very easy to put up there and fasten down. I did it all myself. One drawback is that you're going to have to run the data cable (I think it has 12 lines) as well as use the current Trav'ler coax. Yeah, another hole in the roof and in mine it had to be run down into the bedroom slide so I had to get creative running it into a mid bath cabinet and then through a wall into the bedroom slide. When you call Mogul find out how long that cable is. I couldn't run it the same way Tiffin routed all the other entertainment cables because the one that came with the Mogul was too short. Two plus years on it now and still runs well. I'm in the process of changing over to Dish, so I have to change the LNB arm and heads. It'll go up next week, but a much simpler hookup than the DirecTV. I'm using a Hopper and Joey.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 10:49 AM   #17

Quote:
Mogul is lighter and smaller than the Trav'ler and very easy to put up there and fasten down. I did it all myself. One drawback is that you're going to have to run the data cable (I think it has 12 lines) as well as use the current Trav'ler coax. Yeah, another hole in the roof and in mine it had to be run down into the bedroom slide so I had to get creative running it into a mid bath cabinet and then through a wall into the bedroom slide. When you call Mogul find out how long that cable is. I couldn't run it the same way Tiffin routed all the other entertainment cables because the one that came with the Mogul was too short. Two plus years on it now and still runs well. I'm in the process of changing over to Dish, so I have to change the LNB arm and heads. It'll go up next week, but a much simpler hookup than the DirecTV. I'm using a Hopper and Joey.
Interesting. They show two DISH configurations, one with a 4-way splitter and Wally's and one with a Hopper2 and two Joeys using a "splitter-looking" thing called a "Hybrid solo Hub". Do you have to decide on which setup you would use or do both come with the Dish LNB's? I guess I need to learn a bit more about DISH receiver options; my last coach had a dome with one VIP211z. Wonder if I'd need to change receivers.

Cabling should not be a big a problem for you as I expect the smaller Eagle will fit in place of the Winegard Travler. How was installation of the RF Mogul Eagle on roof? Did you replace the old sat dish in the same location?
Old 07-31-2020, 06:38 PM   #18

Quote:
Interesting. They show two DISH configurations, one with a 4-way splitter and Wally's and one with a Hopper2 and two Joeys using a "splitter-looking" thing called a "Hybrid solo Hub". Do you have to decide on which setup you would use or do both come with the Dish LNB's? I guess I need to learn a bit more about DISH receiver options; my last coach had a dome with one VIP211z. Wonder if I'd need to change receivers.

Cabling should not be a big a problem for you as I expect the smaller Eagle will fit in place of the Winegard Travler. How was installation of the RF Mogul Eagle on roof? Did you replace the old sat dish in the same location?
Getting good info on Dish is tough. I called about 4 times and got a somewhat different story each time. They have a mobile program with a pay as you go plan, but to me it seemed as their way to sell drag out antennas. It wasn't what I was looking for. So I started at the house. I have 2 TV's I wanted to run with different programs on each set. I also wanted a recorder I hadn't had before with Directv. This led me to a Hopper 3 recorder/receiver and a Joey on the other TV. Since I had different coax runs from my antenna dish and mast, the installer put a Hybred Solo Hub, 203952, at the antenna. It's about the size of a deck of playing cards cut in half. Joey at one TV and Hopper at the other. I can record from either location and don't need to go through any gyrations to get it done. I'll take the Hopper and Joey to the RV when we travel and hook up will essentially be the same as the home setup. Down line from the RV roof to the splitter (installer gave me a second for nothing) inside, coax to the Joey and Hopper, this time in the same RV compartment, and then HDMI lines to 2 RV tv's. No additional equipment charges or service charges. When I'm set up wherever, I call Dish and get them to change my local channels to wherever I am and I get locals for that area. The only thing I lost was the Directv DNS channels from both coasts that I was receiving under grandfather provisions. However you set yours up, ask your installer how your setup will get you the most HD programming. It evidently matters, but I'm not sure of the exact in's and out's of the HD channels. There are other ways to set up with Dish and their mobile provisions, but these suited us best. Depending on where you spend the most time (east or west) you need to select the best LNB array for Dish's either west or east arc. Since I'm in the east, my house antenna setup is on the east arc and the RV (Mogul) LNB's are setup for the west arc. They tell me these switch over automatically, but I can't confirm that as I haven't tried it yet.

I took the Trav'ler off, plugged the holes and installed the Mogul in the same location, but did not use the same screw holes.

Hope this helps.
Old 07-31-2020, 07:07 PM   #19

Took the entire Travler dish assembly off today. Plan is to check wiring inside dish, make sure there's no internal corrosion and see if I can get a part# on the motor they told me was bad. Ran into an older thread where one person had a problem sent it back for $$$ repairs and came back with same problem; it turned out the control cable. Another had a problem which turned out to be the control box. There's little technical info and no easy way to get real diagnostic info... or parts. But I'll give it a try before tossing it out.
Old 08-01-2020, 11:55 AM   #20

Update: started to test the Trav'ler Dish. Disassembled the base. The AZ (azimuth) motor looks OK; removed it and applied 12vDC and it seems to run fine, reversed leads and again runs fine in opposite direction. Tested EL motor same way and it appears to be OK also.

I think the control board in the turret may be bad but I cannot find anything to diagnose it. Part number of control box is "SK ODU".
Old 08-05-2020, 07:36 AM   #21

Quote:
Welcome to the Winegard tap dance. Have you gotten to the service/technical rep who reads you the same lines off their computer time after time regardless of what you ask them? A bit over 2 years ago I got sick of it and junked it. Bought a RF Mogul and haven't looked back. The mogul controller is faster, more accurate and has a wider tuning envelope than Trav'lers. In addition, you can get actual technical information over the phone, and they will furnish you parts rather than requiring you send the whole antenna back before they'll even tell you if they'll be able to fix it. When Winegard was the only game in town, you had no choice, but there are good alternatives out there now.
Yep. One thing I learned after taking the cover off the control board is that thee's a 3amp fuse inside. I didn't see that in their "diagnostics". Wondering how many were told to send it back when it was only a fuse problem.
Old 08-05-2020, 07:42 AM   #22

Update: Opened the system up and tested the motors independently using a 12v battery. Motors all work. The only other possibility seems to be the control board in the turret base. I decided to sell it for parts and also the "accessory" stuff like the SWM and a DirecTV Wireless video bridge.

Now it's a choice between going with an RV Mogul Eagle system or "downgrading" to one of the domes which can be roof-mounted. Shying away from Winegard, it seems the only alternative is King.
Old 08-05-2020, 08:46 AM   #23

Quote:
Update: ...

Now it's a choice between going with an RV Mogul Eagle system or "downgrading" to one of the domes which can be roof-mounted. Shying away from Winegard, it seems the only alternative is King.
And you discarded the Mogul system because?? Not being critical here, I'm just interested in your reasoning.
Old 08-05-2020, 09:36 AM   #24

Quote:
And you discarded the Mogul system because?? Not being critical here, I'm just interested in your reasoning.
Not "discarded", just have to choose between an RV Mogul Eagle system and a dome system, probably a King Dome system, at less that 1/3 the price. There's no question that the RFM dish would give better signal than a dome. Not being full/most timers any more, my wife and I need to consider how often we watch TV, what we watch and other things like if we'd ever get a third receiver.

The only thing I've discarded is being able to rely on Winegard. That's based on past experience & past performance.
Old 08-05-2020, 05:06 PM   #25

Quote:
Not "discarded", just have to choose between an RV Mogul Eagle system and a dome system, probably a King Dome system, at less that 1/3 the price. There's no question that the RFM dish would give better signal than a dome. Not being full/most timers any more, my wife and I need to consider how often we watch TV, what we watch and other things like if we'd ever get a third receiver.

The only thing I've discarded is being able to rely on Winegard. That's based on past experience & past performance.
Hey, different strokes for different folks. If your decision works well for you, that's great. As I said, I wasn't criticizing, just curious.

Tags
motor, travel