Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-01-2007, 08:49 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Robin_M:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by CoolJourney:
We had this same problem on our '07 Diplomat during its maiden voyage. The wipers worked fine at regular speed, but during a torrential downpour we switched them to high speed and after a few swipes the driver's side wiper flipped past the left edge of the windshield and stayed there. Vision reduced to near zero, nowhere to go, quite scary (see our website for more detail of this event).

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I am continuing to have this problem with my '07 Dip. Has anyone found a true solution yet? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Robin, our fix (noted in my previous post) has continued to work for us. Although as I mentioned before I avoid using the high speed wiper setting as much as possible, so I haven't had a lot of opportunities to test it.

Bill
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-01-2007, 05:11 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by CoolJourney:
Robin, our fix (noted in my previous post) has continued to work for us. Although as I mentioned before I avoid using the high speed wiper setting as much as possible, so I haven't had a lot of opportunities to test it.
Bill </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Bill,

Are you saying that just replacing the original linkage arm fixed your problem for good? Did that also correct the problem of the Driver's side wiper seeming to go too far to the left (off the glass)? That's when mine pops off the knuckle.
Robin_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 01:31 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Robin_M:

Bill </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Bill,

Are you saying that just replacing the original linkage arm fixed your problem for good? Did that also correct the problem of the Driver's side wiper seeming to go too far to the left (off the glass)? That's when mine pops off the knuckle. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Basically yes. However, in my case the driver's side wiper goes too far to the left off the glass *because* the arm comes off of the knuckle. Don't know if that nuance is important, but I thought I would point it out.

When we brought the coach back to the dealership after losing the use of the wipers in a storm. They kept trying to reseat the existing arm over the knuckle. They would spray water on the windshield, run it them on high and the driver's side wiper would take maybe one or two swipes and launch itself over to the right (as you are facing the coach from the outside. They were getting quite frustrated and finally just grabbed an arm off of a new coach on the lot (I think it might have been a 2007 Endeavor) and after installing it that seemed to correct the problem. I theorize that the fitting that snaps over the knuckle is not too great and the new one they put on our rig has just enough holding power to keep the arm on and in place.

Bill
Old 11-02-2007, 01:54 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Does anyone know who makes the wiper assembly? May be worth a call to their tech support if we can find out from Monaco or looking at the assembly. Most of my dealings with RV dealers remind me of Mo, Curly and Larry.

06 HR Endeavor 40 PET
Sixpack98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 04:22 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks Bill,

Your wiper was doing exactly what mine is doing. We did pull into a friendly RV dealer called RV SuperStore, in Mocksville, NC during last weekend's rain storm. They didn't have a replacement arm, but they were kind enough to jury rig mine. They cut up a razor blade and lodged the little metel pieces in around the parimeter of the knuckle fitting. That made it fit on the knucker more tightly. After that they couldn't make it fail with the hose test. Monaco paid the bill.

We had had enough rain by then and stayed overnight at a campground 10 miles down the road. Next morning the sun was shining and it hasn't rained since, so I haven't had time to test how successful their "fix" was. But it's only temporary, of course. Monaco has to correct this problem the right way.
Old 11-02-2007, 06:47 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Your wiper was doing exactly what mine is doing. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
AAAHHHHHHHHH ...DON'T SAY THAT ROB.... I DON'T WANT TO THINK OF HAVING WIPER PROBLEMS!!
Let us know what you find out!!

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 02:43 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
For what it's worth I found out who provides the wiper assembly for Monaco. The company name is:

AM Equipment
http://www.amequipment.com/index.html

On our 06 Endeavor the following part numbers apply.

main assembly 238-1882
Cross bar 306-1219
Motor assembly 238-1002

I'm going to call them to see what I can learn about the assembly as provided to Monaco and what can be done to make it more reliable. I think they will be motivated to learn THEIR assembly almost cost someone their life. Will keep everyone posted.
We have used our wipers numerous time and they have not malfunctioned but worried they will - at the wrong time.

mark

06 HR Endeavor 40 PET
Old 01-15-2008, 08:59 AM   #22

I had wiper failure with my 2007 Diplomat several times always at low speed. The linkage popped off at the "knuckle" and the wipers slapped off the windshield on the driver's side. Guaranty RV in Junction City, OR ordered new parts. I picked up the parts at the manufacturer, AM Equipment in Jefferson City, OR. The new parts lasted 15 miles when they failed in the exact way. A truck repair facility noticed that when the wipers were operating the motor and supporting bracket were flexing slightly. They attached an additional bracket of heavier metal and added two more screws to the motor bracket that attached to the fiberglass front of the coach. They also drilled, tapped and threaded through the ball that the linkage snapped on to and added a screw and washer to ensure the linkage would not come off this was what kept popping off. My last words to them were that I hoped that they had not made it so strong that it would fail in a different place. This fix lasted 237 miles through rain and snow with the wipers running constantly at low speed. Then the linkage popped off on the passenger side. Another trucking repair facility replaced both of the arms of the wiper assembly with steel tubing and welded four steel spherical ball joints on the ends of the two linkage arms and bolted them together with steel bolts. I'm confident that the problem is resolved although I have not had an opportunity to use my wipers since this last repair.
My Monaco is still under warranty so I've submitted my bills to Monaco. I've also copied the manufacturer. It's a bad design made worse by mounting it on flexible fiberglass. Driving in Oregon in January didn't help either! I noticed in the other blogs the problems occurred at high speed mine was always at low speed.
Pam and Bud Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 09:18 AM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> I had wiper failure with my 2007 Diplomat several times always at low speed. The linkage popped off at the "knuckle" and the wipers slapped off the windshield on the driver's side. Guaranty RV in Junction City, OR ordered new parts. I picked up the parts at the manufacturer, AM Equipment in Jefferson City, OR. The new parts lasted 15 miles when they failed in the exact way. A truck repair facility noticed that when the wipers were operating the motor and supporting bracket were flexing slightly. They attached an additional bracket of heavier metal and added two more screws to the motor bracket that attached to the fiberglass front of the coach. They also drilled, tapped and threaded through the ball that the linkage snapped on to and added a screw and washer to ensure the linkage would not come off this was what kept popping off. My last words to them were that I hoped that they had not made it so strong that it would fail in a different place. This fix lasted 237 miles through rain and snow with the wipers running constantly at low speed. Then the linkage popped off on the passenger side. Another trucking repair facility replaced both of the arms of the wiper assembly with steel tubing and welded four steel spherical ball joints on the ends of the two linkage arms and bolted them together with steel bolts. I'm confident that the problem is resolved although I have not had an opportunity to use my wipers since this last repair.
My Monaco is still under warranty so I've submitted my bills to Monaco. I've also copied the manufacturer. It's a bad design made worse by mounting it on flexible fiberglass. Driving in Oregon in January didn't help either! I noticed in the other blogs the problems occurred at high speed mine was always at low speed. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

'08 MCC coaches went to a totally different system that uses bolts to hold the circular linkage arms to the wiper assembly and motor assembly. It also has a much stiffer motor support assembly and stringer as well as larger wiper shafts and bearings It sounds like the repair facility did the right thing and MCC should pay for it. it is a known problem by both MCC and AM Equipment on '06 and '07 MCC coaches. I think MCC tried to retrofit a 28" wiper assembly to work on the new Panaview windshields and it has problems moving a 32" blade. Very poor engineering, very dangerous and potentially a huge legal financial liability for MCC and MCC should replace every delivered assembly with the '08 assembly which is a drop in replacement.

06 HR Endeavor 40 PET
Old 01-15-2008, 09:21 AM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Pam & Bud,
Welcome to iRV2! One of our faithful site moderators will be along soon to officially welcome you and ask if you would like to become a member of the Monaco Owners Forum. I have found this to be a very helpful and friendly site.

Please ask if you have questions about the site or RVing, and especially if you have answers or suggestions! Your first post was very informational and I'm sure others will find it helpful. Welcome!
GoneFishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 11:27 AM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Hi Bud,

Welcome, and thanks for sharing your experiences with this problem. AND thanks, too, for pressing Monaco about it. The more people that do that, the easier it should be for everyone with the problem to get the proper resolution. As you know, just replacing the actuator arms with their silly plastic ball and socket ends is NOT doing the job. I, like Mark, consider this to be a serious safety issue that Monaco should address properly.
Old 01-15-2008, 06:38 PM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
I couldn't agree more. This is a very serious issue. Good luck to all... it is way too dangerous for Monaco to ignore.

Brenda, of...
Old 01-15-2008, 09:22 PM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Pam and Bud Williams..
I must be one of the "faithful site leaders/moderators" previously mentioned by GoneFishin! (She is a jewel...isn't she! )

She is right..I would truly like to welcome you to iRV2 ...and hopefully have you ask for some "Monaco Karma" so you are easily reconized as one of the elite "Monaco Owners Forum" members! (This will show up under your log-in name showing on the left!) We would love to have you become a regular contributing member her on the Monaco Forum...as it looks like you may be able to contribute some great information.

Again...welcome to iRV2 and thank you for your post! PLease visit and post as often as you can!!

MM

PS... just say "Karma Please" ...and one of us will get you signed up ASAP!

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 08:41 PM   #28

New to this site. But one of my many problems with my 2007 Dip is the same wiper issue. Diamond point said they fixed it my last visit there, in Dec. Then they broke several times while driving Hwy 101 Oregon with 24ft trailer in tow and hard to find a place to pull over. Will Monaco wait to solve when suit over a death? Very disappointed with Monaco over several issues. My coach has had over 100 items in first 9 months of owning is this typical?
rv rookie is offline   Reply With Quote