Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-14-2020, 05:33 AM   #1

Winter camping

We plan on camping in Maine this winter and would like to know if anyone else has done this with their Monaco Dynasty. I plan on getting the underside of the coach spray foamed and also install some maybe mineralized insulation bats on the underside of the floor/top of storage bays. And shrink wrap the windows but the biggest heat loss will be the windshield. I think building some sort of clear covering on the outside with an air gap is the way to go but not sure yet.
I plan on having two small dehumidifiers and some damp rid containers in the closet all being monitored with remote thermometers/hydrometers in the bays.

Also will get a 275 gallon fuel oil tank to feed the aqua hot system.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Brad
2pilgrims is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2020, 06:43 AM   #2

We spent 2 months in Colorado Springs 2 winters ago. I came to the conclusion that RV'ing in the deep cold is no fun.

The full timers all seal the bottom of the RV with boards or anything available to keep the cold and wind from circulating under the rig. You will need a heated hose to provide you water.

The coach itself was plenty warm. We have the 2 heat pumps that would run during the day, but the night depended on the furnaces, as the temps would go down to 0-10 deg every night. It snowed half the days we were there, so most mornings I was on the roof shoveling snow to clear the heat pumps, vents, antennas, and get the snow off the slides.

One night we ran out of propane. The gage still said we had 1/3 of a tank, so spent all day trying to figure out what was wrong with the rear furnace. It would light for a minute and then cut out. About the time I concluded it had to be the controller, the front furnace acted up...we were totally out of propane and it was 7PM. I could not sleep the entire night...not because of the cold which was absolutely bitter, but because of the fear of bursting water lines and tanks. There was nothing to be done until the propane supplier opened at 9AM.

I also lived in fear that the belly heater would not cut in. The snap switch triggers at 35 degrees, so not much of a margin to freezing. I spent most of the nights rolling over to check the indicator light that showed the heat was triggered.

In conclusion, it is doable...but a real PITA. I decided RV'ing is supposed to be fun, so deep winter trips are out for me. I still don't mind trips in mild winters, though, where the only problem is winterizing the rig before you put it back to bed.
Cj D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 11:41 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Hay bales around the perimeter instead of extra underbelly insulation. Keep as many slides is as possible, especially when it gets really cold. Reflective bubble wrap on the outside of the windshield...silver side in and tape it on with plenty of gorilla tape. If you still have a NoCold refrigerator a lightbulb in the back will keep it warm enough to work and may keep the ice maker water line from freezing. You can buy 14X14 vent insulation or make your own out of styrofoam. Might want to do the A Hot service before it stops working in the middle of the night.

Good Luck!

A couple extra 1500W electric heaters BUT you cannot use your existing outlets... run separate extension cord from your power supply or you’ll be finding the hard to find breakers on your inverter... go ahead and find them now while you can open the basement door without shoveling snow.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping, winter