Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-29-2010, 08:42 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Winter - Store It or Drive It

We live in Maryland and store our RV from Dec to Mar each year. During that time I take it out once a month for about a two hour highway trip to exercise the generator and engine. Lately have been receiving insurance advertisements that say to leave your RV in storage and reduce your premiums while it's stored. Taking this approach my options would then be to 1) start it up to exercise the generator and recharge the batteries (no electric at storage site); or 2) do nothing but let it sit until April and then jump start it. What's the preferred/recommended method:
1) drive it monthly during storage,
2) start it monthly during storage but don't drive it, or
3) do nothing while it's in storage.
Numbers 2 and 3 would reduce the insurance premium. Your thoughts ???
dmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-29-2010, 08:51 AM   #2

I dont know for sure but i cant help but think that the ins $ that you save will be spent on issues that arise from just sitting, G
GENECOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 09:06 AM   #3

We park ours winterized, battery switches turned off, and no power hooked up from Oct-April every year like everyone else up here in Canada, other than checking on it once in a blue moon for any variables such as rodents, break ins, etc we dont monkey with it a all. Come spring I turn battery switches back on, jump in, take it home, de-winterize, and were ready to go, we have had no issues with batteries dying nor needed to jump start come spring.

Tony2
Old 07-29-2010, 06:45 PM   #4

If weather permits:-

1. Drive the coach for at least 30 mins once a month.
This gets all the condensation out of the engine and burns
out all the particulates and protects all the seals by lubricating them

2. Generator - same as above - run for 2 hrs under half load
I turn on electric heaters to do that

3. Aqua Hot/Hydro hot- Turn on diesel burner and go through
one cycle.

4. Tires - By driving it once a month, you actually recirculate
the oils in the tire that help fight dry rot and increase life of your tire
as well as reduce chances of a blowout

I have never tried Tony2's battery idea. I keep my batteries
connected to the multi stage charger. Maybe i should try his idea
this winter.
caymann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 04:32 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Spartan Chassis
dmason -

It's not an issue here in the south since we use the coach twelve months a year. But having owned a coach (my first one) that sat around a LOT and learning first hand the problems that accumulate under those conditions, I agree with GENECOP's position that any savings from turning off the insurance will quickly be absorbed by maintenance issues. I would vote to keep on doing what you've been doing and exercise the coach and it's systems.

South Texas is sweet in January! Not so sweet right now, however.
2017 Dutch Star 4018 - Sold - Towing Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
deaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 05:58 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
We checked one of those "good deal" insurance policies and found far to many rules and regulations for the pittance saved.
Suggest reading and understanding the policy first, then determine the amount "saved".
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 08:18 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmason View Post
2) start it monthly during storage but don't drive it,
I think this is your worst option. If it's a diesel, and you aren't going to drive it long enough to get it up to operating temperature (say, driving at least 30 minutes) then don't start it at all. I hear that starting it, letting it idle, and then shutting it off is worse than just letting it sit all winter. A diesel won't get up to operating temperature without being under load, and getting it up to temperature is the goal. It really shouldn't hurt your diesel engine to stay shut down over the winter. Gas engines may benefit from periodic starting and idling, but not diesels.

The diesel engine in the generator is the same. However, the electricals and generator windings don't like sitting unused for long periods of time. There is some merit to starting up the generator periodically over the winter and running it under load long enough for the engine and generator portions to fully warm up. While it's convenient to do this while exercising the main power plant, you can still do it even if you're leaving the coach sitting for the winter.

What you decide is up to you. A lot of it depends on your winter conditions. If it's safe and convenient to take it out on the road to exercise it, that's your best bet. If not, then just letting it sit is your next best bet, a close second. Starting it and idling it without driving it is a distant third, and should not even be considered, from what I hear.

In my case, it would be a major effort to dig the coach out of the snow in order to exercise it. In addition, the road conditions are poor, and I think getting the underside and running gear covered in salt during an exercise session would be worse in the long run than letting it sit. So mine sits for the winter, but I still periodically go out and fire up the generator on a mild day, when I can run the heat pumps and put it under a load.
Home base near Buffalo NY, often on the road to a dog show
ShapeShifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 09:06 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I live in southern California and we camp at least once a month all year long. I like the winter camping because parks are less crowded.

2008 Monaco Cayman 38PBD
Up N Flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 04:45 PM   #9
SRT

Monaco Owners Club
Ours goes into it's garage late October and doesn't come out until early May (this year we had 4" of snow the 1st week of May). It's winterized, plugged in for the house batteries, and a trickle charger is put on the starting battery. It usually has the oil and oil filter changed and the chassis greased. The generator oil and filter get changed according to the accumulated hours.
SRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 05:18 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Just curious, does your home owners policy cover your MH if an ice/snow storm or other damage is incurred? What if an internal (MH) fire is started and causes damage? What covers that?

As for maintenance, it is understandable that some people live in areas they cannot just jump in the MH and drive it for 30 minutes or more due to weather/road conditions. However, the moisture that accumulates in everything from exhaust to air systems cause long term damage. In cold areas, fuel has a tendency to gell if you don't treat it or keep it circulating.

Just a few things to consider.

Dave
Old 08-05-2010, 05:18 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Drive it 40 miles and exercise the genset once a month. Lot of moisture in this part of the country and I think it's good practice to dehumidify some of the hardware. I also feel that it's a good thing to run the tires once a month.
Old 08-06-2010, 06:35 AM   #12
SRT

Monaco Owners Club
Oh, I should add that before I top off the gas tank before storage, I add a bottle of Sta-Bil and run the generator on the way home. This has worked for a number of years. No way am I going to drive the MH on any salt-laden roads unless I'm driving south for the winter.
SRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 08:20 AM   #13

I have read that it would be better to run the engine twice a month to lubricate all internal parts and keep rodents out. My manual states that I should run the engine periodically during storage.
Monacoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 09:17 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by denochs View Post
Just curious, does your home owners policy cover your MH if an ice/snow storm or other damage is incurred? What if an internal (MH) fire is started and causes damage? What covers that?

Dave
My insurance company, 'Country Companies', told me that there is NO insurance company that covers the RV while it is parked on house policy coverage. That was a MYTH!

Henceforth I have 24/7 insurance coverage.
OnJa is offline   Reply With Quote