Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-22-2020, 05:39 PM   #1

Winterizing 2000 Diplomat

I recently purchased this unit and will be going from warm New Mexico to cold South Dakota. I read how to winterize in my manual. I followed them and was using the little attachment to blow the remaining water out of the lines. It looks like there is still water in the bottom of the big water tank. Is this normal? Will it cause me trouble in freezing weather?
map747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2020, 07:57 PM   #2

Hi Map747; Even if you try to drain all the water out of the tank, it is my opinion that you cannot get it bone dry but it has a huge surface on the bottom and even if a small amount was there and froze it should not crack anything. Again, my opinion. I am here in western Washington and we usually don't get hard freezes, but I still take precautions. I pump a very small amount of the pink stuff into the bottom of the tank just incase. I have also found just using the compressed air in the city water hookup sometimes cannot get 100% of the water out of that uphill line. On my 01 Windsor the fresh water/ city water line goes uphill to the fill valve and one year when it did get cold here I had some water drop back down into the fill line and it froze and pushed the threaded connection apart. I was lucky and all I had to do was tighten the connection. Now I always introduce some pink stuff up into that line to keep anything that did not get blown out from freezing. I put 2 cups of pink in the gray and black tanks and about a cup into the P traps. Don't forget about the shower drain.

Hope this info helps and have a great weekend!
8.3Oilbuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 09:27 PM   #3

My friend modified his RV water pump with a second pick up line, he valves off fresh water tank and attaches secondary line to RV anti freeze gallon bottle, then pumps coolant thru all faucets, hot water heater etc. until he sees lines are clear of water, also empties water tank pours solution into tank.
Outbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 05:35 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
When water freezes it expands and if this expansion happens in a confined space (i.e a water line) it will cause damage. A little water in the bottom of you tank has plenty of room to expand. It should not be a problem. Don't forget to pour RV water antifreeze in your P traps.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Super-Tec...RoCkDsQAvD_BwE
Towing 2014 Ford Explorer
veraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 06:09 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbound View Post
My friend modified his RV water pump with a second pick up line, he valves off fresh water tank and attaches secondary line to RV anti freeze gallon bottle, then pumps coolant thru all faucets, hot water heater etc. until he sees lines are clear of water, also empties water tank pours solution into tank.

Hope this helps https://www.amazon.com/Camco-36543-C.../dp/B0006JJ588
Old 10-23-2020, 06:42 AM   #6

Lots of ways to skin a cat and my way sometimes gets criticized, but here goes.

I dont like to take chances, so I drain my fresh water tank, open the low point drains. Add 10 gallons of -50 RV antifreeze to the Fresh water tank and then cycle everything thu the coach until I see pink ...job done...all the plumbing and drains are winterized to -50 .... ( dont forget to cycle the washing machine if used ) now for sure now there are no low points hold water and the likes there of to worry about freezing and breaking

The critics of this process say the down side is the taste of the water afterwards.

That said, when Im ready to hit the road, I drain the RV coolant from the freshwater tank fill it with fresh water add 2- cups of household bleach and cycle it thru...... job done.

I dont worry about taste of the water because I dont drink it, I have always used bottled drinking water .... that said I do smell a bit of bleach smell from the first fresh water fill afterwards when showering but after that no problemo and I just disinfected the water system at the same time.

Many of the critics of this process do use air to winterize and that have have Aqua-Hot units but yet they prefer to cycle RV coolant thu the Aqua-Hot to be safe ....if that if concerned about low points in the Aqua-Hot and it freezing? ..... why not the rest of the coach? ...perhaps maybe the co$t of replacing the Aqua-Hot unit and that is the determining factor.?

ps: I also go to my coach and cycle everything including the water supply @ 2-months ( if stored) to keep all the seals and the likes lubricated ( might be overkill but it's only 27 steps for me to walk to my coach in it's garage )

Again lots of way to do this and you will see many good methods posted here ..."pick your poison"

Happy Trails

Tags
diplomat, winter