Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-24-2020, 02:08 PM   #1

Winterizing a 2009 Camelot

This will be my first winter owning this coach and the chill is in the air. In the past with other RV's I've owned I always blow the lines out first - then add antifreeze.

With the 09 I'm not seeing a valve that will allow me to pull antifreeze via the water pump. Can someone direct me on where I can connect a garden house that the water pump will pull antifreeze?

Or - do I simply place the city water\tank valve into the "tank" position and connect the hose? Inquiring minds are wanting to know!

Thanks in advance!!
elnatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2020, 02:41 PM   #2

If you've emptied the tanks and blown the lines, only other things you need do disconnect and drain the pump, than pour some antifreeze down the drains. No need to put it into any of the lines once they're free of water.

There's the antifreeze type of RV'ers, and the blow the lines type of RV'ers, and blowing the lines is far superior IMO. Doing both is kind of over doing it.

About your question, if you siphon the pink stuff into the water tank and the lines and the pump, next spring you'll have all that work to do to get the taste out so I don't think you want to set it to Tank.

All I do is disconnect the pump and then blow drain the RV. Once the lines are clear, reconnect the pump or just leave it in the compartment, pour antifreeze in all the drains, done. The pumps not easily ruined by freezing as it is.

It is kind of strange that you have the water panel but no winterizing setting. Maybe they set it up for just blowing the lines? Have you checked the users guide?

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 02:55 PM   #3

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Don't know if they changed between 08' and 09', but mine has a clear plastic tube at the lower left corner of the wetbay for sucking plumbing antifreeze. Yours may have been pushed in to the hole in the panel, and no longer in sight.
To get at the valves I need to close/ open to winterize, I have to go through the storage bay ahead of the wetbay, and remove the hatch on the wall.
Old 09-24-2020, 03:36 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
My 07 Contessa has a clear hose near the water pump. There is a shut off valve on the suction side of the pump, and a tee after that with another shut off valve and a 5 foot clear hose attached to that.
If I wanted to use the pink stuff, I shut off the valve From the water supply, open the valve with the 5 foot hose and put that hose in the anti freeze and turn the pump on. You get to mine the same way 96 wideglide does.
Old 09-25-2020, 06:59 AM   #5

Thanks - still accepting advice!

The 09 Camelot doesn't appear to have a clear tube in the lower left corner of the wetbay. That's where my main water hose is located. I had taken that all apart in the spring to fix the electric take up reel the water hose is attached to and don't recall any clear hoses.

I use both the "blow the lines clear" - and antifreeze because of where I live. SD gets very cold and the winds drive the windchill to -50 sometimes. I don't want to leave anything to chance.

I'll go look for the water pump and see if there are any hoses attached for doing this exact work. You would think Monaco would make this process much easier. Keep sending solutions!
Old 09-25-2020, 08:30 AM   #6

RTFM

I of all people should know to first RTFM (Read the F--king Manual) before posting. On a 2009 Camelot you do indeed need to go through the access panel - switch the valves on the water pump to winterize (heck they are probably still in this position from last year LOL) and there should be a hose to put into the bottles of antifreeze. This will be my weekend chore.

What would it have taken Monaco to simply put a hose attachment in the wetbay and the valves as well - that is something I'm going to look at doing.
Old 09-25-2020, 08:57 AM   #7

Just a FYI, windchill only affects the living. Not inanimate objects or things. As far as your pipes and valves are concerned, the air temp is the air temp, it's not 'colder' if the wind is blowing.

I spent 5 summers and 3 winters in Fairbanks Alaska and just blew out the lines before putting the Bounder in storage and never had a problem with frozen plumbing. Even after weeks at -40 F days, nights at -55 F and a few nights at -70 F.

BUT...I discovered that Home Depot faucets for homes or apartments come with one way valves...tiny plastic things in the pipes. Most RV faucets didn't used to come with those...many do now. What that means to the RV'er is that they need to blow both ways when doing a blow out. Forcing the water that's still in the faucet out the spout and of course blowing out the pipes too. Not a big deal, just something to remember for any lurkers wanting to use the blow out method.

But I'm rambling. Anywho, good luck with your mods!

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 09:07 AM   #8

If your wet bay panel is the same as mine, your AF pickup hose usually comes thru the same hole as the hot / cold low point drains.
Old 09-25-2020, 09:53 AM   #9

My 2009 Camelot PDQ has a small tank behind the wet bay panel that your access from the neighboring bay. Select "winterize" in the wet bay panel and a solenoid will switch to the small antifreeze tank. Run the water pump while opening and closing the faucets, shower, outside shower, etc.
If you have a washer in your MH set it to fill until you see the pink stuff and then do a spin. This will add antifreeze to the washer pump.
If you have an AquaHot unit it will take a bit longer for the antifreeze to run through the unit and out the faucets.
Pour a cup or two in each of the sink and shower drains.

Hope this helps.

Rustygold
Rustygold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 10:01 AM   #10

Rustygold, that system was an option.

They didn't all come with it.
Old 09-25-2020, 03:02 PM   #11

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
Rustygold, that system was an option.