RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-20-2012, 08:40 PM   #1

winterizing and air brakes

this will be my first time winterizing with our 07 diplomat. had a gas HR before this use to blow out then use the pink stuff. i think i have the water system understood, the added part for me is the washer, electric toilet and maserator? what i don't know at all is wht to do with the air system... just open the drain valves till spring? i know you can't leave it pressurized as there is moisture in the air and will condence as temps drop

rstarny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2012, 09:18 PM   #2

Back in the old days, 25 years ago and more we had to drain our air tanks every nite in cold weather so the valves would not freeze up. Drained them weekly in all weather just to get the moisture out of the air system. But almost all modern air brake vehicles now have air dryers to remove the moisture before it enters the air system. So if I were leaving the rig sit in cold weather I might open the drains just to check for moisture and maybe bleed all the air off then shut the valve so it would be ready to go when you fire her up come spring. But you don't really have to worry about moisture as that's the air dryers job. Now there is a cartage in most air dryers that need changed about every 3 or 4 years or sooner if the dryer acts up. But they really very seldom give any problems!

KSCRUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:24 PM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Regarding winterizing the air brake/air system. If the temperatures are really, really cold, way below freezing. Trucks have a unit that feeds air line anti-freeze into the system.

Living in Canada, with temperatures getting down to -40 at times, I can tell you that the air dryer will not solve all the problems. A coach in storage at these temperatures, when the temperature 'warms up' to just freezing, when started, may exhibit symptoms of frozen air ride valves, frozen accelerator pedal valves, etc. This is due to condensation forming inside the air lines due to the changing temperatures that freezes in the lines.

Before storing my coach, I solve this by using the air chuck that's provided by the coach manufacturer to be able to push air into the air system. This is provided to be used by tow truck operators that have to pressurize the air system so they can tow the coach. I pour air brake antifreeze/lubricant into an air hose, then connect it to that air chuck, which pushes the antifreeze into the coach's air system. I do that several times.

This has solved my air system freezing problems. I am thinking of installing an air system antifreeze system like the trucks have.
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 05:25 PM   #4

The methanol injection systems like you are referring to went out in the seventies around here. That's when air dryers came in the picture. If you won't be using it at 40 below there is no worry if you run a air dryer during the use seasons. Better yet hop in that thing and head her south till you hit the gulf or Mexico. My trucks all sleep in shops with floor heat as does our motor home. No need to winterized anymore. We just got the motor home, but if we want to get away from the cold we fly to Vegas where we have a vacation home. Can't leave all winter as we still are stuck to our business in Kansas. We sure are jealous of all them snowbirds we have seen flying south as of late!W
KSCRUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 07:11 PM   #5

thanks for the responces, since it wont be moved till spring bleeding out the air system sounds like the answer. It does have an air dryer. we just got the coach about 2 weeks ago so i'm trying to learn fast and sqeeze a couple short trips in before the snow fly's here in buffalo. theres alot to learn coming from a gas MH and this site has tons of great info

Thanks again
rstarny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 07:19 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Is there an upcoming episode of Ice Road Motor Coaching in the works?

chuckinthebus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brakes