Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-09-2020, 07:03 PM   #1

Wiper motor 2004 Beaver

Does anyone know the wiper motor used in a 2004 Beaver Monterey Huntington. My wiper work perfect until I go over 50 mph then the driver side wiper goes too far left to the point it hits the left side windshield support column

I have tightened all the linkage so I assume it must be the motor

Any idea where to purchase

Thanks for your help

Bill
jbesdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-10-2020, 05:31 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbesdale View Post
Does anyone know the wiper motor used in a 2004 Beaver Monterey Huntington. My wiper work perfect until I go over 50 mph then the driver side wiper goes too far left to the point it hits the left side windshield support column

I have tightened all the linkage so I assume it must be the motor

Any idea where to purchase

Thanks for your help

Bill
That seems to be a common problem. Mine does this too but I have not investigated fully yet. however I don't think the problem is in the motor (I suspect worn out or loose linkage parts.

When you said you tightened the linkage - were you referring to the exterior wiper arm retainer nuts or did you get to the "backside" of the linkage and check the mounting plate and linkage arm pivots?

If you find the source of the problem, let me know. Thanks

The Wiper assembly should be the same as mine. made by "AM Equipment". https://www.amequipment.com/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Wiper Motor _2005 Beaver_AM model 238-1002.jpeg
Views:	45
Size:	187.9 KB
ID:	284878   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wiper Assembly on 2005 Beaver Monterey.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	151.6 KB
ID:	284879  

Attached Files
File Type: pdf Wiper Motor _AM model 238-1002 electrical print.pdf (1.77 MB, 22 views)
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 06:50 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Jbesdale, I agree with CountryB as it is not the motor. Mine did the exact same thing and I took the coach to Elite RV Repair in Oregon and he took the wiper arm off with a small puller. He took pic and cleaned the groves inside the arm. They were full of the soft material from the cone that is designed to grip the wiper arm. As the arm is TIGHTENED the cone grips the arm groves. As he tightened the nut that holds the arm on the pivot shaft he tapped it with a hammer to set the arm in the groves. He tightened the nut so tight I thought it was going to strip. AM Equipment has everything you need and pics too. Look in parts for "pivot shaft" and you can see the softer cone part.

Good luck
Dave
Old 05-10-2020, 10:44 AM   #4

Dave

If it was slipping on the spine would it return to the correct position on the right side? Mine returns to the right bottom position each time after going too far left. If it was slipping I would expect it to only return half way to the home position. Did your do that.

Thanks

Bill
jbesdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 12:03 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbesdale View Post
Dave

If it was slipping on the spine would it return to the correct position on the right side? Mine returns to the right bottom position each time after going too far left. If it was slipping I would expect it to only return half way to the home position. Did your do that.

Thanks

Bill
Mine slaps the left windshield pillar, like yours, and returns to the correct parking position. Mine is not slipping on the wiper arm splines.

I think the entire mounting bracket may be shifting/flexing when in high speed mode or under heavy loads (at highway speeds). it works fine in the driveway. I need to crawl up there and check the mounting bolts. Unfortunately to get to the mounting location there is a lot of stuff in the way. And it's dry to today, so no hurry

Another issue I see - At highway speed with wipers off, I can see the wind lifting the arms a little, so they are probably lifting in rain too. Maybe a set of those "wiper arm wind deflector/spoiler" is needed to provide some more down force.
Old 05-11-2020, 06:51 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Jbesdale, yes mine did just that. The soft cone with splines has a flat spot in the hole that goes on the pivot shaft so it can't slip but the wiper arm could slip on the up stroke and slip back on the down stroke on a wore out section of the soft cone. Hard to describe in words. I noticed I forgot to add the web site for "AM EQUIPMENT" They are very helpful on the phone.....

Parts:
https://www.amequipment.com/shop Scroll down to "PIVOT SHAFT"

Home:
https://www.amequipment.com/

Good luck
Dave
Old 05-11-2020, 07:52 AM   #7

Sounds like what my 06 was doing when I picked it up. The original owner said it had been crap from the beginning at higher speed. One arm wasn’t holding so I changed the whole system out to what was described as a better stronger one. Works good was about $700 complete and I installed it. Complete old system is laying in my shop. Can you get a better picture. May be the same unit. Would suspect the linkage or gear box before the motor. I know it’s hard to see when mounted but my complete unit came out fairly easy
kenwyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 08:38 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Can you provide a closeup photo of where yours failed (what was sloppy)?
was it loose in one place/joint or the cumulative effect of multiple worn/sloppy parts?
Old 05-11-2020, 09:44 AM   #9

Guess you were asking me. The passenger arm was slipping on the spline. Could have been fixed or just the arm or pivot replaced. Went with a new set as the OP said it had been weak from the beginning at higher road or wind speeds. Will lay it out in the yard and get some pics.
Old 05-11-2020, 01:24 PM   #10

A couple of suggestions. First, get your phone in under the motor and get a picture of it so you can see the manufacturer and the part number.

If it is AM, call them, they were responsive to me even though they were able to tell me to do what I suggested, and and before they told me to do that they said mine probably came from Wiper Technologies, part of Diesel Equipment in Greensboro NC.

It may be that the splines are not properly tightened into the lead cone on the opposite side, but if that was the case they would not return the the same stop position.

It is more likely that the bushings in the arms have worn, or the connections in the arms are worn letting it stretch when wind presses on the arm.

Mine used to wrap around the A pillar at speed, and I ordered a whole new (and much better) assembly from Wiper Technologies who supplied the original assembly.

When I was discussing it with the guy at Wiper Tech he told me that back in the day they had told Monaco NOT to use the ones they selected, but Monaco went with them because they were cheap.

$600 and a couple of hours of work and my new ones work very well. AM can either provide you advice and parts, or sell you a new system that will fit.
distaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 06:42 PM   #11

Here are some pictures. Nothing failed other then the arm on th passenger side dropped down. May have been able to reuse or rebuild but was told the system wasn’t the best from the beginning.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	710B86C7-2850-49B0-82BB-92F49FA55476.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	339.4 KB
ID:	285068   Click image for larger version

Name:	9BE9CFBA-E430-46B2-AF88-9D855C9B0BA3.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	477.7 KB
ID:	285069  

Name:	E4A6255F-C082-4CAC-95B2-1C5A025CBC09.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	311.3 KB
ID:	285070   Click image for larger version

Name:	ECBB5AED-9B25-4772-87A8-6CD8F0C2FD80.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	311.3 KB
ID:	285071  

Name:	5C410148-5975-492A-A4D8-2BB62B26E553.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	316.0 KB
ID:	285073   Click image for larger version

Name:	28ABAFB5-F204-4BB8-8806-27A974A2C0B1.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	316.0 KB
ID:	285074  

Old 05-12-2020, 05:40 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for the photos.
Being able to see the mechanism close up helps me visualize the potential places (to check) are for slop/movement (i.e. bracket mount to body, motor to bracket mount, pivots in arms, shaft to wiper arm, etc.).
Old 05-12-2020, 07:31 AM   #13

Hard to see but look at the last picture. There is a jam nut on the back side of the wide heavy bar. Believe it works with the large nut that is on the outside. If it’s backed off the pivot piece may rock back add forth. Can get a close up if it will help
Old 05-12-2020, 10:31 AM   #14

Ken - just found the picture of my motor. Ten after yours.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3644.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	234.3 KB
ID:	285128  
distaff is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beaver