RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-19-2020, 07:04 PM   #1

Wipers aren’t working

I have a 2001 Monaco dynasty and my wipers haven’t worked since the day I purchased it!! I have checked fuses and they are good!! Does anybody know where the wiper motor is? I was also told that it could be a bad clock spring in my steering wheel!! Any help would be appreciated
Turbo chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-19-2020, 08:11 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Since you mention smart wheel I assume you have a VIP smart wheel. Here is a link to a trouble shooting guide.
https://www.vipwheels.com/sites/defa...OUBLESHOOT.pdf

Do the rest of the functions work such as lights, cruise control etc. If they do it might rule out the clock spring.

The motor and drive linkage is all mounted on the inside of the front cap, probably accessible from your generator compartment. You could try and check the motor to see if it is OK.

Second thing I'd do is find you smart wheel controller and pull and reset all the wiring harnesses.

Third thing would be to pull the plastic cover off the steering column and check the wiring harness, there is a coupler that could loosen.

Attached is a parts list for my windshield wiper mechanism, yours may be the same. If not at least it will give you an idea what to look for. I check an the motor is still available, Denso 159100-7370 ~$115
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 1 Wiper motor dirve assembly.pdf (92.9 KB, 4 views)
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 08:45 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I was on a trip and had my wiper fail. As a temporary fix, I stopped at an auto parts store and bough a container of RAINX. Put it on the windshield and it was good for two days driving in the rain.
super_rep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 10:13 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
First, do you have buttons on your steering wheel? If so, follow the ^^^^ above advice. If not then you should have labeled fuses in the front run box.
Old 01-21-2020, 12:28 PM   #5

Turbo chris - given your question I am assuming you are not experienced at fixing things automotive. I say this because in pretty much ALL automotive applications the wiper motor is behind where the wipers mount. There is a full assembly behind them including arms that cause them to move back and forth.

Given this assumption, I'm further going to guess that you probably don't have a lot of experience with a multimeter. A multimeter is your friend in sorting out all kinds of motorhome problems.

And finally, given that wipers are something of a safety issue for you and for the rest of us sharing the road with you, you need to get the coach to a qualified repair facility near you and have it looked after by a mechanic.

Once you have had it diagnosed, come back here if you need to find parts because the typical repair shop have a small number of places where they search for parts, and they are very unlikely to have the contacts that this group of users have for all kinds of really hard to find stuff.

Information required will include the current make and part numbers from your wiper assembly. There are two main suppliers - AM on the west coast and Wiper Tech in Greensboro NC, but you need to know which type you have.
distaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 08:47 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
I would only add to the ^^^^ that a 12V test light may be easier to use than a multimeter. A multimeter can detect voltage that cannot light a test light...giving you a false positive.
Old 01-22-2020, 06:58 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivylog View Post
I would only add to the ^^^^ that a 12V test light may be easier to use than a multimeter. A multimeter can detect voltage that cannot light a test light...giving you a false positive.
That is absolutely true, and it is why I travel with both. Test light is also a lot easier to use to just detect power.
distaff is offline   Reply With Quote