RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-18-2020, 03:56 PM   #1

Wiring schematics for head lights

I have a 2011 holiday rambler endeavor and am having trouble with the head lights. I need the schematic diagram for the head lights but can not find them. if anyone has them I would appreciate letting me know as my mechanic need them very badly

Gmb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-20-2020, 10:53 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmb1 View Post
I have a 2011 holiday rambler endeavor and am having trouble with the head lights. I need the schematic diagram for the head lights but can not find them. if anyone has them I would appreciate letting me know as my mechanic need them very badly
I'm not sure exactly what you need in the way of wiring diagrams, but the headlight wiring on most Monaco's is similar. All of the power goes through the headlight switch, which is known to be a frequent failure item. I don't know why that would be, except that there are quite a few extra loads on the switch that might not be on the average automobile--like all the clearance lights and usually larger taillights. The same is true for the ignition switch--frequent failure item.

A fairly common modification to the headlight circuits (because of heavy loads and long wiring runs) is to install relays in the Front Run Bay (FRB) to handle the headlight loads, and use the output of the headlight switch to operate the relay coils. That can sometimes increase headlight brightness, in addition to making the headlight switch last longer. And since headlights on most motor homes seem to be inadequate brightness, if your coach is one that turns off the low beams when the high-beams are on, you can change the wiring so that both low beams and high beams stay on in the high-beam position. Yes, I know someone may chime in that having all headlamps on is illegal in some states, but HID headlights have been wired that way since the beginning.

I'm not sure this helps you with your particular problem. Perhaps if you gave a bit more detail about what your problem is, we might be able to better assist you. There are many good-hearted helpful folks on this forum.

https://www.danielsternlighting.com/

Old 05-20-2020, 04:15 PM   #3
src

headlights

Hi,vanwill do you have the wiring diagram to put the low -beams on with the high beams
Old 05-20-2020, 05:19 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Not sure about your unit but my 2007 knight has headlight relays from the factory, mine are in the front elec compartment
Old 05-20-2020, 05:45 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
OP, do you have a smart steering wheel?
Old 05-21-2020, 10:51 AM   #6

High and Low beams on together...

Quote:
Originally Posted by src View Post
Hi,vanwill do you have the wiring diagram to put the low -beams on with the high beams
Actually, my old 2000 Dynasty was originally wired to have the Low beams stay on when I switched to High beams. If you already have relays for the High and Low beams, you could just run a diode from the coil of the High beam relay to the coil of the Low beam relay to keep the Low beam relay energized when the High beams are on.

I only added relays to lessen the load on the headlight switch and gain a bit of brightness from the headlights by reducing the voltage drop through the long run of wiring. The increase in brightness of the headlights was minimal in my case, but I've read of folks adding relays and getting a significant increase in brightness.
Old 05-21-2020, 02:15 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivylog View Post
OP, do you have a smart steering wheel?
yes
Old 05-21-2020, 02:19 PM   #8

Yes
Old 05-21-2020, 02:24 PM   #9

My headlights come on when the key is off and go off when the key is on.
Old 05-21-2020, 04:12 PM   #10
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Welcome to the forum:

Strange symptoms. However often fixing something such as replacing a blown fuse will solve weird issues.

I don't know how much the fuse panels changed from 08 to 011 but maybe not much.

The little fuse block in the front run bay (below the driver outside compartment, holds two major fuse panels for mine. The smaller one has fuses associated with the headlights as well as some small relays. I keep a sack of those relays on hand.

Use a simple 12 volt test light to touch each side of the little fuses. Do not pull them out for inspection. Just test them in place. If the test light comes on touching one side, it should when touching the other.

Once all fuses are tested, pull those relays associated with the lights, one at a time of course and note any symptom changes.

You could have a stuck relay that is back feeding things. It is kind of hit and miss this way but without the exact schematic it could take a lot of hours to sort.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Front Distrubition Panel Harness.pdf (107.2 KB, 2 views)
File Type: pdf Front lights (headlights etc).pdf (92.9 KB, 3 views)
File Type: pdf Front Roadside Panel.pdf (527.2 KB, 3 views)
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 04:22 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
The VIP smart wheel controller is in the front run box, probably on the left wall. Check for a burnt plug on it.
Old 05-22-2020, 05:36 AM   #12

Smart Wheel Problems?

I have never had problems with my Smart Wheel, so I have no diagnostic experience with it. Perhaps Myron (YC1) does. There are three things involved in that system--the steering wheel switches, the "clock spring" electrical connector, and the Smart Wheel control box.

What you are describing sounds like a logic failure in the headlight control circuit due to a failure of one of those three items. I hope Myron can help you.

Tags
light, lights, wiring, schematics