Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-02-2010, 07:02 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
WOOOO-HOOOOO!!! IT is almost here!!!!

SacsTC & I were recently in contact with Source (aka Source1 Manufacturing) about a new product they were going to introduce at the FMCA Convention in Redmond, OR.

It was actually introduced at the “Chassis on the Green Rally” in Eugene, OR last month to a select group of Monaco Coach owners. They then had it on display at the FMCA rally in Redmond. SacsTC traveled to Vancouver, Washington where this kit was installed on our MH after the rally by Roadmaster, Inc.

The kit consists of 1-5/8” front and rear sway-bars (Did you all know that there are none on the RR8R chassis?? ) along with 4 new front airbags (they are larger and have a new shape to the bag) plus a “Return To Zero” steering stabilizer and finally 8 new Bilstein Gas Charged Shocks. (All brackets, bushings, nuts, bolts and whatever else needed are also included in the installation kit).

The kit has not yet been released to the general public because we are still doing testing and working with Source & Bilstein on the final tube diameter and valving for the front shocks.

Testing has been done under many different conditions…including 2 lane windy back roads, the Oregon coast highway and the infamous Interstate Highway I-5 in Northern California. Most motor-homes are still considered “bread trucks in disguise” to most folks and we don’t expect the jarring ride to totally disappear, but Source has definitely made an extremely large improvement in the ride and handling of this MH.

You all ask how it is so far?? Well I am quoting SacsTC as he said “I can honestly state that after approximately 1000 miles traveled so far, it actually exceeds my expectations.” Myself...well...I am quite excited at the thought of having a coach that protects my sensitive tush from the rough jarring of the California highways!!

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2010, 10:16 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
MM

Any ideas yet on the cost??? Gotta know how much to work to pay for it.

Thanks
Dennis
DennisZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 10:29 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
would love to find a swaybar kit and return to zero kit for my 93 Gasser! oh what a dream that would be!!
ChrisNiemann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 10:41 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisZ View Post
MM

Any ideas yet on the cost??? Gotta know how much to work to pay for it.

Thanks
Dennis
DennisZ... I am not sure yet what the cost will be. I think they are waiting to see exactly what parts they end up using in the kit.

I would say you need to keep working just so you can keep adding all the toys that we all want on our coaches. I know I am still finding things that I think I must have!

Old 09-02-2010, 10:45 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisNiemann View Post
would love to find a swaybar kit and return to zero kit for my 93 Gasser! oh what a dream that would be!!
You may want to check this link for what you are looking for...

Old 09-03-2010, 12:27 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
This sounds like a very nice but also expensive kit.

Changing air bags and shocks is probably not the simplest job you can find, but adding the rear sway bar doesn't look all that diffucult (or costly).

I wonder how much of a difference it will make just adding this bar? Did any of you do this to your Monaco coach?

danes-on-tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 08:43 AM   #7

Nor'easters Club
I have switched to Bilstein shocks all around and a Steer-Safe and cannot say that there is an amazing difference. There is less side to side wobble and I do track a little better though. I would be willing to bet the sway bars would make a major difference in handling, but I would wait to see what others have to say about the reshaped and larger airbags.....but it sounds good.
2019 Ford F150 Limited 450hp

RVRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 10:53 AM   #8
JDT

I too wonder if they will sell the individual parts. I already have a Safe-T-Plus and one year old Koni FSD's. That equates to about a $1600 investment (probably not a good word to use in motorhoming). I don't think I could stomach that again.
JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 12:38 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
JDT -- Source had the Bilstein Shocks valved for this application -- Don`t think Koni`s would work -- I was at the Rally On The Green, & that was what I understood -- All the components in the package are designed to work togeather -- It`s a shame Monaco engineers didn`t design the chassis so that the customer didn`t have to buy expensive ride enhancement kits & trailing arms, just to have a decent ride, & not kill themselves in a wreck because of faulty trailing arms -- There may be such kits for Spartan, & Freightliner Chassis`, but I`ve never heard of any -- Bill Willard
William Willard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 02:14 PM   #10
JDT

Bill, it would be my guess also that it is a package deal designed to work together. I have no experience driving any other motorhomes other than the 2 we've owned. The first one was an 03 Vacationer 36' on an Workhorse W22. It was a white knuckles driver all the way, wandering all over the road. Workhorse replaced the shocks under warranty and I added a Blue Ox TruCenter which calmed it down enough to sell it.

After driving it for 2 years getting in the RR8R under our Ambassador was a real treat. I probably should have compared more but it was and still is the coach we wanted. It drove like a dream compared to the Vacationer but after a while I realized it could be better. The Koni's helped a lot. Better tracking, less dipping and jolting, and smoother riding. The Safe-T-Plus was put on after a left front blowout. I know it's there but I didn't think it made a huge difference in tracking, etc. I also got rid of the Goodyear 670's and put Firestone FS560 Plus on the front in May and Continental HSR1's on the rear in July. (The Firestone's were on a long backorder so went with the Continentals). The new tires made a really big impact as they are quieter, track even better and seem to be smoother.

Not much point to this, other than to say I agree, Monaco could have put some of these things on to begin with. I'm sure it was a cost issue and I bet they were not the only manufacturer who did it the minimal way.
JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 12:06 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
JDT -- Perhaps I shouldn`t have flamed Monaco so much about poor engineering of the Roadmaster Chassis -- I have a 42' with tag & 10 air bags, so I don`t have the ride or trailing arms problem --The ride wasn`t all that good, until I got rid of the Goodyear tires, & replaced them with Michelin -- My problem has been with most of the other componets that make up the coach, but I carry alot of spare parts, & help from some members of this forum (Sacs & Happycarz) been able to keep trucking without major cost, so far -- This is our 8th motorhome since 1980, & have had Fleetwood`s, Safari's (Magnum Chassis) Winnebago's ( Chevrolet P30) Newmar's (Spartan Chassis) & by far the worst was the Safari, Magnum Chassis, & it had Koni Shocks OEM -- But it didn`t have air ride, so that was a big difference -- Bill Willard
William Willard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 03:25 PM   #12
SRT

Monaco Owners Club
Geeze, wish they would come up with something to soften the front suspension of the F53 chassis under my motor home. The state of many of the U.S. highways really pound the heck out of our HR.
SRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 10:21 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonacoMama View Post
You all ask how it is so far?? Well I am quoting SacsTC as he said “I can honestly state that after approximately 1000 miles traveled so far, it actually exceeds my expectations.” Myself...well...I am quite excited at the thought of having a coach that protects my sensitive tush from the rough jarring of the California highways!!
How about an update?

danes-on-tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 10:33 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
A trip up I-80 into Reno and back would be a real test.......:B......Dennis
Executive is offline   Reply With Quote