RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-02-2013, 09:05 AM   #1

Wrecked my 97 Endeavor 365 WGS-le

On Friday, I got up against a concrete barrier in a extremely narrow cattle chute in a construction zone in PA. There was a lot of damage for the entire length of the passenger side of my rig. All of the compartment doors are creased except for the 2 ones that are missing. The rear bumper cover was broken in the middle and pulled away from the vehicle. The rear steel bumper beam was bent in the middle and pulled away from the vehicle.The ladder was ripped off. The rear cap was torn in several places where the bumper cover was pulled away. The steps were bent. The fiberglass around the wheel wells were damaged. The Front bumper cover was damaged. The fiberglass piece around the steps was lost.

My insurance company is not that adept at dealing with RVs. The adjuster seemed very surprised thta my repair shop would not handle the repair. They do mainly mechanical work. They have recomended a dealer who used to be a Holiday Ramblem dealer to do the repairs. The adjuster called this morning and emplained that that dealer would be trying to get an estimate on the parts from a third party that still makes some HR parts. Has anyone heard of them? My mechanic seemed to think that the parts would be extremely hard to get. He also told me to expect that any repair would likely take at least 6 months.

I am hoping that the insurance company decides to total the rig at this point since there seems no other way to salvage this camping season. Has anyone else had a rig totalled? The NADA value for my righ seems to be about 18k. Is this a reasonable amount to expect if it is totalled? The repairs seem that they could really add up when painting and installation is figured in. At the least the entire rig would need to be painted below the waist line.

I am left in jeopardy wondering what will happen.
AWMIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-02-2013, 09:12 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Sorry to hear about your mishap. I got up against a concrete barrier while crossing an old bridge into Cape Cod last year. Made me sick to see the damage along the entire length of my 40DP.

With a book value of $18K, I would think that totally it would be a no brainer. From the damage you describe, it sure sounds like it would exceed that figure. I would expect to be paid book value if my rig were totaled.

Best of luck.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:44 AM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Man that's a bummer for sure! Sure hope you get it resolved to your satisfaction!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 03:37 PM   #4

Well, its been a week since the adjuster visited my rig. No estimate yet. I believe that he is waiting for a dealer to use his photos to estimate the repair. I wonder how long that should take?
Old 05-07-2013, 07:45 AM   #5

How long to get an estimate is a fair question, one of the factors to consider when selecting a repair shop? Understand sourcing parts for an older MH takes considerable time (try it some time!). My guess is the shop is not being paid to provide you with that estimate. It could be happening on a time permitting basis.....

From you're description, I'd also be willing to bet they'll total it. SOMEBODY has to justify that with some numbers though? The shop is likely going to have to go through all the same processes it would as they would when going through with the repairs to maintain good relations with the insurance company, which means a fully detailed, itemized repair estimate will have to be produced....

You're very likely spot on assuming the adjuster is clueless regarding motorhome repairs. They will very nearly ALWAYS accept the repair shop's estimate.

Be patient, but asking your adjuster for a status update every few days might allow you to better understand what's going on?

Best of luck!
Old 05-07-2013, 07:48 AM   #6

I think for a total the repairs have to exceed some percentage of the value, which isn't that high. I'd bet you're looking at over $10 grand in damage which would total the vehicle. I replaced one basement door on my old Holiday Rambler a few years ago and the door alone had to be custom made at a cost of $450.00, then painted and installed. Steps alone are going to be another $400.00. Then there's labor, paint, etc.

Wow
2006 Jeep Commander
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 10:07 AM   #7

Thumbs up

I figure:
6 doors at 1K each installed and painted 6k
Replace/Repair rear bumper fiberglass 3K
Repair fiberglass around rear wheels 1K
Repair tears to rear cap and paint cap 2K
Repair fiberglass around steps 1K
New steps with install 1k
Repair or replace section of banks exhaust 1k
Paint below waist on driver's side to match new paint of Passenger side 2-3k
Tow to repair facility 1k

Grand total 19k

NADA Average Retail Value ~ 19k
Old 05-07-2013, 10:28 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Assuming you are not "full timing" in your rig:
If your insurance company gives you a check, then one alternative for getting it repaired is to be inventive. Example: use surplus parts and a motivated back-woods mechanic or body shop. You'll need to get involved in finding replacement parts at sites like this:
Visone RV, RV Salvage Parts, Motorhome Repairable Wrecks, Used RV Parts Monaco, Prevost, Allegro, Holiday Rambler, Alfa, RV Junk Yard - Dismantler | en.visonerv.com
or
RV Salvage/Surplus Yards (List) Updated 5/5/13 - RV Forums - myRVparks.com

This "path to repair" is not for the faint-of-heart. I do wish you the best.
Robi.1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 10:55 AM   #9

Assuming the check is for what I expect it to be, I think I will take the check.

I just go off the phone with the Adjuster

5 compartment doors at 1200 6000
Fender flare 1500
Rear Bumper Unknown availabity still working on it

"I could easily see this getting to be 12-15 with paint and everything"
"I better check to see what I can find on a value for this. We might be getting close to a total"

Wouldn't you think that would be one fo the first steps for the Adjuster? It seems like a lot of running around can be prevented by first seeing what the value is.

He was headed back out to "measure the doors" for the shop that is estimating the work.
Old 05-07-2013, 12:39 PM   #10

The cost of the repairs is added to the salvage value (50-60% of NADA?) to see if it's totaled. Many times if it's close the owner will have some say in which way the insurance company goes.

Before you settle on the NADA value, something to consider. You're likely insured for what they call LKQ, like kind and quality. Consider what it's going to cost you to:

1. Find a coach comparable to yours.
2. Put it into the condition yours is in (in other words, prices for coaches on the market with ceiling that are caving in or sides that are ready to fall off don't count - and remember how many you looked at that were just that way!)
3. The coach you do find that's comparable to yours, where is it? 7 states away? Who pays to go check it out, and if it's OK, bring it back?
4. If you have recent tires, make sure you are compensated for a coach that will need replacements....
5. Any other options on it that might be difficult to duplicate?

Point being, think about this. Don't grab at the first offer you get. You are in the driver's seat here. That claim is not settled until you sign that check.... -Al
Old 05-08-2013, 10:45 AM   #11

Well, it is totalled. I am being paid NADA high retail plus $500 for the new floor and new tires. I am no longer an RV owner as of this morning when I put the title in the mail.
Old 05-08-2013, 11:06 AM   #12

That should give you some options. Congratulations!