Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-30-2018, 11:22 AM   #29

You don't pass the whole 30 amps thru it or even one leg of the 50 amp service thru.

The main panel has a breaker that supplies the inverters pass thru or transfer switch ( same thing ).

From the inverter transfer switch, the power goes to a sub panel that handles the inverted circuits. When on shore power, the inverter lets the power thru.
When there is NO shore power, the inverter creates power and transfers it to the sub panel.

You can see that in the diagram, above.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-31-2018, 06:51 AM   #30

BMK vs Tri-Metric

Dennis,
I have only limited experience with the Magnum BMK, but that experience has been that it is not as reliable and accurate as the Bogart Engineering Tri-Metric TM 2030A, which I installed when I installed the new inverter. The Tri-Metric is the favorite of serious solar installers. Although I do not have solar at the present, I wired in 2 AWG cables into the fridge compartment when I installed the Samsung RF-18 fridge.

Yes, my inverter is mounted to the floor in a compartment adjacent to the water lines, water pump, water filters, etc. Using the terminal strip, so that you can bench-wire pigtails onto the inverter before installation is a HUGE help in installing it. The position you must assume to connect the Romex is difficult for even a contortionist.

I did not choose to install any type of auto gen start, and still think it is something I really have no use for, although I have dry-camped much more than I expected. Watching the Tri-Metric has educated me on what I can expect under most circumstances, and the auto gen start is something I just don’t need. I think that is just a matter of personal preference, however, and I know of nothing negative about installing one.

Prior to Quartzsite this year, I added (4) more T-145 size 6-volt batteries in the upper tray previously occupied by the huge 8D chassis battery. I installed (2) Group 31 batteries in the left side of the engine compartment for the chassis. The extra 6-volt batteries are a huge plus.

As many have said, being able to use your same telephone-style cable can be HUGE deciding factor. I was able to run the Ethernet-style cable the new xantrex inverter required while installing the fridge, but now I need to relocate my Dometic thermostat, and finding a way to snake that cable to another location is proving to be a daunting task.

2012 vs 2812? Personal preference. The 2812 will operate fine with whatever battery cables you now have, but to get the max performance from it, you would likely have to change to 4/0 cables. Voltage drop in 2/0 cables at a 150 amp load is too large, and the inverter will complain when trying to run your microwave.
Vanwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 02:45 PM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
That'll teach me to contemplate doing something, after 18 years, the trace inverter failed. You can read about it here: http://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/no-1...ch-419618.html

I ordered a Magnum MS-2012 inverter along with the ARC50 remote and BMK battery monitor kit. I think I'll need the auto generator star, but I'll get that next year before hot weather travels.
Old 11-17-2018, 10:18 AM   #32

Monaco Owners Club
Dennis, I wrote a detailed thread on how to swap a Trace Xantrex for a Magnum inverter.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/swap...re-386835.html

I installed a Magnum Hybrid inverter which made it slightly more complicated. Yours should be fairly easy. I also added the wiring details for the auto gen start (AGS-N).
I now have the inside coach temp sensor installed.

Two issues we need to work out.
The first is the battery temp sensor. The Magnum inverter receives the wrong input from the Trace battery temp sensor. We have two choices: Splice the Magnum temp sensor onto the Trace RJ11 cable inside the battery box. Or just pull the new Magnum temp wire all the way through to the inverter basement compartment.

The other issue is the "Solar Pos" input wire to the old Trace inverter. The old inverter had a dedicated input for the Solar Pos wire and the Magnum does not. I have not figured out how to reattach this wire and as a result I don't think my Aladdin solar readout is working.
vito.a is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 04:06 PM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vito.a View Post
Dennis, I wrote a detailed thread on how to swap a Trace Xantrex for a Magnum inverter.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/swap...re-386835.html

I installed a Magnum Hybrid inverter which made it slightly more complicated. Yours should be fairly easy. I also added the wiring details for the auto gen start (AGS-N).
I now have the inside coach temp sensor installed.

Two issues we need to work out.
The first is the battery temp sensor. The Magnum inverter receives the wrong input from the Trace battery temp sensor. We have two choices: Splice the Magnum temp sensor onto the Trace RJ11 cable inside the battery box. Or just pull the new Magnum temp wire all the way through to the inverter basement compartment.

The other issue is the "Solar Pos" input wire to the old Trace inverter. The old inverter had a dedicated input for the Solar Pos wire and the Magnum does not. I have not figured out how to reattach this wire and as a result I don't think my Aladdin solar readout is working.
Thanks Vito. I wondered if I could use the old temp sensor, I think I'll pull out the old one and run the Magnum sensor through the basement wall. I don't have solar so that won't be an issue. I'll check out your other thread.
Old 11-21-2018, 12:13 AM   #34

I went to the Magnum MS2812 from out ME2012-20B which had built in 20 Amp breakers on the output. I had to installk a small breaker box for the MS2812 outputs. My microwave us sure a lot happier with true sinewave and a bit more start up power available.
Gregs4018 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter, xantrex