Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-28-2017, 03:45 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Zerks Won't Take Grease

I cannot get the zerk fittings to take any grease out of my grease gun. The tip is very loose and the grease just comes out around the fitting, even if I hold it hard against the zerk. Is this a common problem?

I ordered this tip hoping it will do the trick:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If that doesn't do the trick I'll replace the zerks.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-28-2017, 03:55 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by barmcd View Post
I cannot get the zerk fittings to take any grease out of my grease gun. The tip is very loose and the grease just comes out around the fitting, even if I hold it hard against the zerk. Is this a common problem?

I ordered this tip hoping it will do the trick:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If that doesn't do the trick I'll replace the zerks.
Most Ends of the Grease gun will screw tighter - turn the tip it should lock on the Zerk, so much so that you will likely need to unscrew it to get it off.

If the gun is good and the grease has become solid - remove the zerk - use a wire /drill/small phillips head screw driver to clean out the hardened grease then - spray WD-40 or something that will soften an break down the clot - Screw in the Zerk - apply grease. Not the normal 3 pumps but 6-8 to get all the hard grease out.

Don't go so long next time before you Grease the Fitting.

JMHO,

Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 03:58 PM   #3

X2, if they haven't been greased in awhile you may need to clean them out. I had several to do when I first purchased the coach.
Old 04-28-2017, 03:59 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I have had the problem where the zerks would not take grease in off road vehicles. In my experience it occurs when the tip of the zerk is not wiped off before trying to inject grease. The dirt on the end winds up getting shoved inside and then clogs the tip. You can take the zerk out and clean it from the inside, but it is usually faster to just replace the zerk and make a point to clean the tip before adding grease.
Old 04-28-2017, 04:03 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Just replace the zerk fitting's that are giving you trouble, they are cheap......
Old 04-28-2017, 06:56 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busskipper View Post
Most Ends of the Grease gun will screw tighter - turn the tip it should lock on the Zerk, so much so that you will likely need to unscrew it to get it off.

If the gun is good and the grease has become solid - remove the zerk - use a wire /drill/small phillips head screw driver to clean out the hardened grease then - spray WD-40 or something that will soften an break down the clot - Screw in the Zerk - apply grease. Not the normal 3 pumps but 6-8 to get all the hard grease out.

Don't go so long next time before you Grease the Fitting.

JMHO,

I didn't know that. Thanks
barmcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 07:29 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Agree on the comments, if in the end the zerk doesn't take grease replace it.

Also, on the drive shaft slip yoke mine has a plastic cap that I unscrew before trying to pump grease, after I add a liberal number of pupms I screw the cap back on. Seems to help it take grease.

Also, don't forget the U-joint grease fittings on both the drive shaft and steering column. One of them on the steering column is only accessible by removing the plastic shroud on the steering column from inside the cab.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 07:43 PM   #8

If grease is coming out around the zerk, the zerk is worn out or has being damaged, just change it.
oldguy70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 07:54 PM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Zerks are cheep and easy to replace. Might even consider replacing with angled zerks if the necessary.
Sweetbriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 10:43 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I got back under the coach and gave it another try. I bought one of these fittings that grab the zerk:

I was able to lube everything but the u-joints. I took out one of the zerks and there was plenty of new red grease in the joint, I guess they lubed it well when they replaced the front u-joint in March. The zerk will pass grease so here's the question--shouldn't I be able to push out the old grease with new? It seems like its just full and won't take any more.
Old 05-13-2017, 11:13 AM   #11

[QUOTE=Busskipper;3572584]Most Ends of the Grease gun will screw tighter - turn the tip it should lock on the Zerk, so much so that you will likely need to unscrew it to get it off.

Thanks a bunch for that info!! I've been greasing my own vehicles since the '50's and didn't know that.

Probably explains why I ended up breaking the Zerk off at the threads trying to get tip of my new HF pneumatic gun off the first and only time I used it. I got the pneumatic gun because I thought it would make it easier to grease the many Zerks on the P30 front end that are difficult to get to. I'll give it a second look.

I always wipe off all Zerks before greasing and generally apply grease until it starts coming out. I don't know if that's correct or not, it just made sense to me and that's the way I do it. There are a few exceptions where I just give a pump or two. One of these is the Bearing Buddies on the boat trailer, and I seem to remember some ball joints I did that with.

There were some issues about the compatibilities of grease that used different base components some years ago. I don't know if that is still an issue or not. Perhaps someone with more current info can comment on that. I bought a case of grease tubes back then and it is still about half full. Since I use the same grease all the time compatibility isn't an issue for me.

Also thanks for sharing the info about the fitting that grabs the Zerk, I didn't know about that either. I may get one.

Steve
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 06:38 PM   #12

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Yes!!

New grease should just push existing grease out from each of the 4 caps.
Old 05-13-2017, 06:58 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Probably not the zerks. Most likely the end on your gun. They are not real long life.
stuhly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 07:58 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuhly View Post
Probably not the zerks. Most likely the end on your gun. They are not real long life.
The end is brand new. It'll push grease through the zerk when the zerk is out of the u-joint, but not when its screwed into the u-joint.