Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-17-2008, 07:54 AM   #1

Excel Owners Club
Say I read the post of the pro's and con's for each one. Let me put my two cents worth in.
I figured that I really didn't need a 4wd to do what I wanted to do (camping in good areas) I realize that a 4wd is good at times. Also they cost more to purchase and sit up higher and are harder to get into. Also extra weight plus more to keep up. I am a very practical person. I don't like to pay any more than I have to for anything. I figure that I can purchase a 2wd for less (purchased my 03 dodge 3500 diesel Ho engine with the 6 speed with 48k for 17k which is under half a new one. Laramie package also. I realize that when I sell it may be harder to sell, but have no plans to sell anyway. It will do what I want it to do. Since it was cheaper than a 4wd I can save money. Maybe also better gas mileage.... What are your thoughts... Ted from Seattle.
Ted Thurlby is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-17-2008, 07:54 AM   #2

Excel Owners Club
Say I read the post of the pro's and con's for each one. Let me put my two cents worth in.
I figured that I really didn't need a 4wd to do what I wanted to do (camping in good areas) I realize that a 4wd is good at times. Also they cost more to purchase and sit up higher and are harder to get into. Also extra weight plus more to keep up. I am a very practical person. I don't like to pay any more than I have to for anything. I figure that I can purchase a 2wd for less (purchased my 03 dodge 3500 diesel Ho engine with the 6 speed with 48k for 17k which is under half a new one. Laramie package also. I realize that when I sell it may be harder to sell, but have no plans to sell anyway. It will do what I want it to do. Since it was cheaper than a 4wd I can save money. Maybe also better gas mileage.... What are your thoughts... Ted from Seattle.
Ted Thurlby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 09:13 AM   #3

lots of people think 4X4 is the only way to go. I like you found that I never used the 4X4 on my last truck and so when it was replaced it was a 4X2. Don't get me wrong, Wife has a 4X4 and I would take it in 100% of the bad weather situations, but I do not plan to tow in those situations ever again.
Old 11-17-2008, 09:22 AM   #4

Texas Boomers Club
I've been towing 5th wheels with 4x2 duallies since 1996. I guess it all depends on where you go and what you need, but here in the South, 4x2 works just fine for us.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 09:41 AM   #5
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
It sounds like a 2 wheel drive suits your needs just fine.

If you don't need 4WD or want it, then save the money, IMHO.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 11:21 AM   #6

Thor Owners Club
A 4x4 is nice, when you need it, which really isn't very often. Love it for moving around in snow, but so far haven't used it towing.

A few years ago we had a 2WD at a campground which began to flood from heavy rain. Had it not been for 8-10 helpful people to push us up out of the muddy campsite, we might still be there Then the 4x4 would have been nice!
Dick & Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 11:42 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
We have been using a dually to puu with since about 2000 any I have never had the need for a 4-wheel drive, with our without the trailer. We lived in NE Oklahome for a bit over 2 years and never had any issues with winter driving either. I did keep about 400# of sand in plastic bags over the rear axle during the winter.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 02:49 PM   #8

I have to agree with you about the expense, MPG, height and less GVWR of a 4X4. It is not necessary. That is especially true with a LWB or SWB dually. There is a part of me that likes the SWB, Non-dually, 4X4, to off road but there is a lot of compromise in that. General towing without intent to explore off road would make the 2WD more sensible in my book.
Phil
motojavaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 05:09 PM   #9

Excel Owners Club
I have a six speed manual 4x4, I use four low whenever I am backing my trailer, I feel it is easier on my clutch and I like backing at a slower speed. Do you need 4x4 probably not, with all that weight over you’re rear axel you can go through a lot. I have been in wet conditions where my trailer was sinking in about 4” to 5” and was real glad to have 4x4. Book2
BookIIRoadtrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 06:41 PM   #10

If ya need it, you'll already know. I live in a rural part of E. WA and along about January, it is a rare day that I don't use 4x4 at some point getting somewhere. My wife's car is a Subaru, the ATVs are 4x4. I have chains for all four truck tires which are gnarly snows with studs. Chains for the plowing ATV. (got it stuck last winter anyway) Even the tractor is 4x4. (almost got it stuck trying rescue the ATV) I have 67K on this truck and have not seen any increased maintenance because of the 4x4, except for two quarts of ATF every other year for the xfr case. I purposely ordered the truck all manual so I could leave the hubs disengaged and use 4 low for backing the TT into spots.

Added: Also, while a 2x pickup might get sold around here, I wouldn't want to try. Fullsize 2x4s are uncommon enough to draw minor attention here. Back when dealers used to sell trucks, It was unusual to see a 2x on a lot. The additional cost of 4x4 is largely offset at selling time. I haven't done the math myself, but it is a matter of faith in these parts that 4x4 is just about "free." Cost is not important to me as I simply would not be able to move on several days each year without it.
ATVr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 08:59 PM   #11

Send a message via ICQ to Steve Rankin
For those that never drive in off-road situations, then getting a 4x4 more about pride and ego than utility. It's not a secret that most 4x4's never get further off-road than the local mall.

However, if you live on a hilly dirt road like we do, it sometimes takes a 4x4 just to leave the house. We have 2 pickups, 2 are 4x2 and one 4x4. When the ground is wet the 4x2 won't move more than a couple of feet before getting stuck. We can't even get our TT up our road in 2Hi when it's dry--pulling a heavy TT up a 12% gravel grade takes 4WD.

Or if you like to drive the RV in other challenging situations, then a 4x4 can be indispensable.

Then, there are times when a 4x2 could get the job done, but having the 4x4 simply makes it easier. We've been in several situations where our campsite was on top of a rise and being able to back up slowly on grass in total control in 4Low was a piece of cake while a 4x2 would have spun the wheels.
Steve Rankin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 03:50 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
There was an article in the paper here a few years back about 4-wheel drive vehicles that said, something like 80 or 90% of the 4-wheel drive vehicels are never taken into conditions where 4-wheel drive was necessary.

If you need 4-wheel drive, you need it. Otherwise it is an expensive item to buy and maintain.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 04:07 AM   #13

Texas Boomers Club
As I said, if you live or travel where you need 4x4, then by all means get it. If you don't, it's a needless expense, maintenance item and complication (if it's not there, it can't fail).

I've pulled 5th wheels with 4x2 duallies for 13 years. I've never been stuck. I've never been unable to get into or leave a campsite because of lack of 4wd. I've always gotten where I'm going and gotten back home. 4x2 works fine for me and offers a lot of advantages of its own.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 06:18 PM   #14

Excel Owners Club
In our case the only reason we bought the 4X4 was because the local dealer had a demo on the lot which he really wanted to sell. I didn't want 4 wheel drive due to the added weight and maintenance/reliablitly. However, the price was too good to pass.

Since we bought the truck I have been glad we have the 4X4 option due to my inclination to "explore" once we've set up the trailer. I tend to get into some nasty spots which require 4X4. As to towing, I can't really remember a time we needed it.

Oh yeah, 4-5 weeks back we found ourselves unexpectedy snowed in out in western South Dakota. I needed 4 WD just to get the truck out of the campgound to get some groceries. We waited a few days for the roads to dry off before we moved on. No need for 4 WD to tow.
Jim & Bona is offline   Reply With Quote