Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-02-2014, 11:38 PM   #1

2006 30RSO Tail Lights

I'm updating all the interior lights with LEDs and was eyeballing the tail lights on this rig. The tail light assemblies are all round with a soft rubber gasket on the outer rim. I assume the way in is just grab the rubber and work the assembly out of the fiberglass hole. Does that sound about right? I don't want to damage anything.

Brad
BradBev is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-03-2014, 11:54 AM   #2

Excel Owners Club
Gently pry the sealed light from the rubber holder. They are standard 4" plug in units. I replaced mine with LED units from Signal-Stat. Part no. SS4050 for the Red, Truck-lite 4060C for the white back-up.
Old 09-04-2014, 05:35 PM   #3

Excel Owners Club
Am I missing something here? I thought Excel had all LEDs on the exterior on all their units since SOP 2005. (except back up light which is an old incandescent bulb). And JB is right on the replacement procedure. After you do the first one it's easy peasy. rockin'
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 06:50 PM   #4

Excel Owners Club
My '13 EL Winslow has incandescent tail and running lights.

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
drfife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 07:11 PM   #5

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by drfife View Post
My '13 EL Winslow has incandescent tail and running lights.
If I'm gonna be a SKIA.......I better be lookin' at something other than the top of the line Limited!!!! Just funnin'. Thanks for settin' me straight there Doc. rockin'
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
Old 09-05-2014, 12:49 AM   #6

Rockintom, You built up my hopes then dashed 'em on the rocks. Pulled one of my reds tonight and from the ohm meter reading looks like not LED. :(

Another disappointment is the Apollo microwave/vent fan. Looks like the light and fan are 120 vac units, not 12 vdc as I expected. I'm a boondocker at heart and don't want to run a generator or inverter to cook an egg.

JBTAZ - Thanks for the links.

Brad
Old 09-05-2014, 06:43 AM   #7

Excel Owners Club
Your rig must be a "classic" model.

Regarding the stove issues, I guess I've never seen a over the stove light or fan with 12V. Mine has a fluorescent light under the cabinet next to the stove. I never use it though. rockin'
Old 09-05-2014, 02:50 PM   #8

Yep, 30RSO Classic (2006 model). The 120 vac fan and light over the stove was a surprise. Been through 8 RV's over the years, from popups to 37' diesel pusher and this was the first time I've seen this. Oh well, just another "mod".

The tail lights were new to me, but with you guys support, I've found they are quite common especially on over the road trucks and trailers. I'm betting I find them at truck stops. I will be passing several on my way to Gallup, NM next week.

The Command 003-5300 incandescent units are still shown on the Command website for about $7 each but an LED upgrade would be nice and they're everywhere. I kind of thought these units would be upgradeable by replacing bulbs but they are sealed units.
Old 09-05-2014, 06:17 PM   #9

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I had to replace a LED taillight on my 2010 rso limited because the LEDs started to go out a few little ones at a time. I popped it out unplugged it and off to Auto Zone were a found a prefect fit replacement with new tighter fighting rubber for $16. I'm going to replace them all because the OEM rubber shrinks and become very loose and potential place for water infiltration.
chief02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 07:30 PM   #10

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by chief02 View Post
I had to replace a LED taillight on my 2010 rso limited because the LEDs started to go out a few little ones at a time. I popped it out unplugged it and off to Auto Zone were a found a prefect fit replacement with new tighter fighting rubber for $16. I'm going to replace them all because the OEM rubber shrinks and become very loose and potential place for water infiltration.
I replaced a couple of mine for internal moisture intrusion (not like water infiltration!!!) under warranty. Now that the rig is getting some whiskers....I've got more that got the moisture inside them too....but still work.....maybe one of these days they'll fail and I'll hafta replace....just sayin' rockin'
Old 09-05-2014, 08:05 PM   #11

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Sounds like ur ready to trade-up....aaaaaagain
chief02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 08:21 PM   #12

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by chief02 View Post
Sounds like ur ready to trade-up....aaaaaagain
Chief,

What you talkin' 'bout Willis? Yourn is 2 years older than mine. The museum is gonna give you a call soon!!! rockin'

PS....don't take much to entertain us anymore.....

Tags
lights