Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-28-2009, 11:54 AM   #1

28 RT

We just started to look at Excel 28 RT floor plan - a perfect size unit for our travel style. We really like the floor layout which, with a few small modifications, would work for us while in Arizona for the winter. We also think that our present truck - 3500 Dodge Cummins with 4x2 would be sufficient for towing it. Noticed however a big discrepancy in weight (1000 lbs) between 28 RT and 28 Winslow. Why is that? Different construction methods? Lighter frame?

I would not like to compromise on integrity of the trailer. Our present Citation Supreme 26 RKS has been so good to us for the last three years and 30,000 miles that I'm afraid to make any changes. On the other hand, extra 50 sq ft of floor space would make our winters more comfortable.

Would appreciate comments on 28RT from other owners. Thanks in advance.
greg0rn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-28-2009, 10:58 PM   #2

Excel Owners Club
Greg,
I'm sure someone with a 28ft RT will come along and give you their opinion. Meanwhile, welcome to the forum. Good luck in your shopping.
Old 10-29-2009, 03:05 AM   #3

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg0rn View Post
We just started to look at Excel 28 RT floor plan - a perfect size unit for our travel style. We really like the floor layout which, with a few small modifications, would work for us while in Arizona for the winter. We also think that our present truck - 3500 Dodge Cummins with 4x2 would be sufficient for towing it. Noticed however a big discrepancy in weight (1000 lbs) between 28 RT and 28 Winslow. Why is that? Different construction methods? Lighter frame?

I would not like to compromise on integrity of the trailer. Our present Citation Supreme 26 RKS has been so good to us for the last three years and 30,000 miles that I'm afraid to make any changes. On the other hand, extra 50 sq ft of floor space would make our winters more comfortable.

Would appreciate comments on 28RT from other owners. Thanks in advance.

Greg0rn, Welcome to the Excel forum. You might PM Camperguy I think he owns a RT. I did ask this in another thread and didn’t get an answer. I don’t know what the total weight of the interior wood is for an Excel. Hickory is heavier than oak and that might make some of the difference, but I do not know how much.
BookIIRoadtrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 09:03 PM   #4

Excel Owners Club
Greg..We purchased our RT 28TRW in 2006. It is a double slide model. I'm not very familiar with the 2010 triple slide models. However I believe that the walls and floor are still built about the same on all models. A few things come to mind that may add extra weight to the Winslow. The change in roof design, heavier axles, 10" vs. 8" frame, hickory cabinetry, and possibly some interior furnishings such as glass shower door, etc. It can add up pretty fast.
If you are apprehensive about the construction of the Excel RT, I would suggest you visit the factory at Smith Center Kansas. It was a worth while trip for us.
We are happy with the construction of our RT. It is just the right size and weight for us and works well at all State and National park sites.
camperguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 10:59 AM   #5

I have a 2004 TRW I am single woman and this suits me perfectly.I am able to do everything myself it's comfortable and plenty of room.My change has been removeing a recliner for more entrance space.I also changed out the storage bed for a flexisteel bed/ couch as I have my grandchildren they need to sleep also.
diamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 03:12 PM   #6

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond View Post
I have a 2004 TRW I am single woman and this suits me perfectly.I am able to do everything myself it's comfortable and plenty of room.My change has been removeing a recliner for more entrance space.I also changed out the storage bed for a flexisteel bed/ couch as I have my grandchildren they need to sleep also.

Diamond, how about a photo of that new couch, we like photos here….
BookIIRoadtrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 04:49 PM   #7

Ok, I got a message from one of the dealers. RT models will be discontinued in 2011, which means that the latest for ordering them is April of 2010. It means for us that time schedule will be very tight, as we want to spend another winter in Arizona in our present 5th wheel, then sell it privately, then order new Excel.

That gives us two options: We may have to go with Winslow 28, or look for a used 28 RT (unless of course we meet the schedule.) One big problem with Winslows is that extra 1000 lbs of weight. I really would like to have about 20% of reserve capacity for our truck. Perhaps someone from Peterson Ind. will chip in on possibilities of lightening Winslow, without compromising on its integrity and options that we want.

From reference book, SG of maple is 17% less than that of hickory. So, here we are: special order brasilian cherry finish and the trailer will be lighter.

Of course, there is always third option: go with another brand. But my mind is so fixed on Excels! Perhaps I need a professional help. We'll see what will happen in the spring.
Old 11-23-2009, 09:16 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
From reference book, SG of maple is 17% less than that of hickory. So, here we are: special order brasilian cherry finish and the trailer will be lighter.
The question is, though...can you order different wood in the RT? As I recall from when we were looking to buy an Excel, the optional woods were available only in the Limited (the Winslow wasn't available then, so I don't know whether or not you can order optional wood in that model). I know that the trim around the slideouts are wood-looking plastic (or was when we were looking), so even if you could order the optional wood in the RT, it most likely would be heavier than the regular RT.
LindaH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 10:27 AM   #9

LindaH, I like RT with its plastic wood and weight the way it is.

Winslow comes with real hickory wood that is heavier by about 17% than maple. Maple option is available on Winslow. I do not know if it is available on RT.

In any case, that Brazilian finished cherry (on maple wood) looks soo good!
Old 11-23-2009, 05:00 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Maple option is available on Winslow. I do not know if it is available on RT.
As I said, when we were looking at buying an Excel, there were no optional woods available for the RT. Things could have changed by now.

We looked seriously at 30RKE in the RT and were *this* close to ordering it UNTIL we found out that we couldn't get the King Bed option in the RT. Since a King bed was on our "must have" list, we selected the Classic, instead.
LindaH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 08:10 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaH
As I said, when we were looking at buying an Excel, there were no optional woods available for the RT. Things could have changed by now.
Linda, no changes. Phoned factory on this issue - only plastic wood available in RT's. Too bad, as I like RT28 floor plan (at least on paper), but also cherry wood.

Time is flying fast and soon we'll be able to see Winslow 28 in reality - apparently dealer in Mesa has one on his lot. No one seems to have RT28 though.