Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-28-2009, 05:56 AM   #1
dmc

Excel Owners Club
Need opinions. Is a 2nd A/C a must have on A 33 Limited. Would have dual pane windows and be used FT.
dmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-28-2009, 06:14 AM   #2

Excel Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
I think it depends where you are traveling and what time of year it is. We bought our 35MKE without the front a/c, but soon learned life was much more pleasurable in the Texas heat once we installed a 2nd unit in the bedroom.
M&S Norrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 06:35 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
dmc-- we have a 33RSO live in Texas and travel in the Southwest alot, have never felt like we needed a 2nd A/C, there have been times when we will close a couple of vents in the living area so more air goes to the bedroom. Also a small desk top fan will help move the air around in real hot weather, if you feel that you need it. Maybe some of the longer units need it but not the 33, IMHO.
Old 01-28-2009, 08:04 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
With the 35 TKE, we also close the front vents before bedtime and send the air to the bedroom. I bought a very small circulation fan and put it on the desktop, works great.

We had a '05 35' MKO w 2nd A/C and it was nice but really I think it was overkill. Never had to run it through the night.
Endeavor2BnC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 08:52 AM   #5

Excel Owners Club
We FT too with our '05 35FLR. We find the one unit as sufficient. We rarely got caught in very hot or cold conditions for long at all. Having said that, were were in San Antonio in July the first year to close out some stuff for retirement and got caught in some 100*F+ days. If you can get the A/C on early you can keep it pretty cool inside....say 85*F for the rest of the day with one unit. If you come home mid day and haven't had the A/C on...it is just too much to get the rascal cooled down to be comfortable that afternoon.

Soooo if you're fussy get two...if not one works pretty well on an Excel(well insulated). Remember that you lose the light out of the hole you plug up with the front A/C unit. I also think the front unit looks kinda weird on an Excel from the outside...sits at an downslope angle. Look at one before you pull the trigger. May consider a low profile unit, also. HTHs rockin'
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 09:32 AM   #6

Excel Owners Club
This is my second Excel and I have had two airs on both. I never really know what weather conditions I will be living in, last summer in the Mojave it was 115. In my latest unit I went the extra mile and had double pane windows installed too. The advantages I have are each unit has it’s own wall mounted thermostat and they are vented together allowing me the freedom to run either one at any time. I like to use the bedroom one during the day so I do not have to listen to an air conditioner when I am in my living quarters and the opposite at night. If I decide to separate them, all I have to do is put some hand towels in the venting to stop the air flow. I like the benefit of altering the units, so all the work is not put on one.
To me time is money and I do not want to have to worry about an air burning up and finding a shop on the road to get a new one installed or deciding I want the second. Get it in stalled before you start using you’re unit. Yes, it does raise you’re clearance, make sure when you are hooked to you’re tow truck that you measure you’re new height. Also I do not care what it looks like on the roof , in fact when ever I buy a new truck or car I get what I like to see from the drivers seat , the dash! I could care less what people are seeing when they meet me. But yes a second air conditioner fits my life style in this unit!!! Book2
BookIIRoadtrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 09:51 AM   #7
dmc

Excel Owners Club
Thanks for the help
dmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 02:44 PM   #8

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
I also think the front unit looks kinda weird on an Excel from the outside
We added a 2nd AC and are very glad we did. Despite what RockheadTommie says, I think it looks "cool".
Old 01-28-2009, 02:52 PM   #9

Excel Owners Club
Virg,
It ain't me you gotta worry about....what do the alligators think???
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote