Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-23-2014, 06:04 PM   #1

31IKE On the Line Next Week

We nailed down the last few details and gave up the credit card for our post order additions yesterday. PI says they'll start building our 31IKE next week and we're expecting to take delivery by the last week of August after dealer install of our solar/inverter system and slide toppers.

The customer service we've received from Bryan and the Smith Center crew has been outstanding, especially since we've got a very long list of options and custom stuff. We got everything we wanted from standard options like dishwasher and auto leveling to custom items like the center rear window with TV Lift and a 3 camera backup system.

With helpful suggestions from forum contributors we really dialed in a lot of little things to make this coach outstanding. That useful second See Level monitor in the utility bay would be a good example. The final details were pre-wiring for cell and wi-fi booster antennas. I did plenty of research including very good info from Technomadia.com and RV Dreams.com and also got some help from Jack Mayer, so we've got a nice plan for the antennas/boosters and clean internal wiring.

Ready to hitch up and roll by Labor Day!
BRS50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2014, 08:29 PM   #2

That sounds awesome! We are looking closely at Excel for a fulltiming rig, and may need some pointers if you would be so kind. We'd love to see pictures when she comes off the line!

Enjoy!

Roy
HighwayRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 08:46 PM   #3

Excel Owners Club
Congrats. I'll be in Smith Center 8/21. If your 31IKE is still there I'll take and post a picture.

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
drfife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 08:59 PM   #4

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRS50 View Post
We nailed down the last few details and gave up the credit card for our post order additions yesterday. PI says they'll start building our 31IKE next week and we're expecting to take delivery by the last week of August after dealer install of our solar/inverter system and slide toppers.

The customer service we've received from Bryan and the Smith Center crew has been outstanding, especially since we've got a very long list of options and custom stuff. We got everything we wanted from standard options like dishwasher and auto leveling to custom items like the center rear window with TV Lift and a 3 camera backup system.

With helpful suggestions from forum contributors we really dialed in a lot of little things to make this coach outstanding. That useful second See Level monitor in the utility bay would be a good example. The final details were pre-wiring for cell and wi-fi booster antennas. I did plenty of research including very good info from Technomadia.com and RV Dreams.com and also got some help from Jack Mayer, so we've got a nice plan for the antennas/boosters and clean internal wiring.

Ready to hitch up and roll by Labor Day!
Great! Sounds like you've really thought this thing thru! Keep us posted and look forward to see this beauty when it's done. rockin'
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 06:15 AM   #5

Roy,
I'd be happy to share and help others, we got plenty of assistance here. Rockin' I think our unit will be at the dealer by 8/21, my wife thinks PI needs a production line web cam. We'll be sure to post some pictures after we take delivery.
Old 07-24-2014, 08:04 AM   #6

Excel Owners Club
Brad- this sounds like a beautiful rig. Where do you live? I'd like to view it sometime. Are you planning on going to any ralleys in the future?
Old 07-24-2014, 10:17 PM   #7

Don,
We're in SE Pennsylvania near Philadelphia. We'll check the rally schedule and try and make it to one in the future.

Brad
Old 07-25-2014, 11:19 AM   #8
JDT

Congratulations. We got to see ours when it was far enough down the line that there was only one ahead of it and it was mostly finished. We got to make some last minute changes some of which were suggested by the employees.

One question and I kind of hate to ask, but has PI changed their position on slide toppers? I see your dealer is doing them so maybe not, just curious.
JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 12:37 AM   #9

Bryan and PI still are not big on the slide toppers but as I told him Kansas isn't big on trees and leaves. Here in Pa and the East in general wooded campsites are the norm and so are leaves and debris on top of the slides. I was determined to reduce the work quotient that's a part of RVing with options like auto leveling and frequently climbing up to clear that junk off the slides manually had little appeal so we're adding the Carefree toppers. Closing a slide with tree debris on top can be a real mess when is gets under the slide seal. I had one on our single slide FW for years and the only issue was the one time I left the slide out in winter prepping for Florida when it snowed then froze. My light sleeping wife also likes the fact the noise from rain on the slide roof is eliminated. Our dealer gave us a good price, under $2k for all three installed and they're the nice ones not the base model.
Old 07-26-2014, 06:07 AM   #10

Excel Owners Club
I had slide awnings on my previous trailer.

I thought I would miss them on my Excel.

Not having them has turned out to be a non-issue.

I do not miss them and it's one less thing to maintain and replace.

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
drfife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 08:08 AM   #11

I went without a topper for the first couple years in our previous FW but found myself clearing junk off before many campground departures. If I pulled the slides in without clearing them off I'd frequently find leaves and twigs inside the coach and even clearing them left small stuff we'd find inside after the ride home. Also the slide roof got pretty dirty from the wet stuff sitting up there and you're pulling that inside your coach too.

I'd thought of going without and looked into the Rhino roof on the slides only but that was going to cost more than toppers and wouldn't solve the debris on the roof issue. Location has something to do with it too. If I lived in the land of wide open spaces and big sky I'd probably do without them but here in rainy, heavily wooded NE US we find they're worth it. I see in Russell's signature pic he's in the trees so Texas has some but it's probably less of an issue out in the Lone Star state.

I also considered the Rhino over fiberglass on our Limited for weight savings but Bryan said the difference would be minimal and the solid fiberglass roof is reassuring for leak prevention with a wood framed trailer. My rubber roofed FW did end up leaking in a couple tough to detect spots after a number of years of service.
Old 07-27-2014, 08:19 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRS50 View Post
Don,
We'll check the rally schedule and try and make it to one in the future.

Brad
Hi Brad, where would I find the rally schedule?

Rob
Rob17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 01:13 PM   #13

Excel Owners Club
Here's one way....State Clubs - Excel RVs

Many rallies are mentioned on this forum too. HTHs.
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 11:42 PM   #14

Thanks, it looks like the closest club for me is Colorado.

Rob
Rob17 is offline   Reply With Quote