Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-10-2007, 09:26 AM   #1

Excel Owners Club
Does anybody else have problems with their Westinghouse 32" LCD TV. When I ordered my 5er I ordered with the optional 32" TV. This has got to be the biggest piece of garbage TV I have ever seen. When I use it to scan for stations when setting up it gets up to 91% complete and then justs sets there and will not complete the scan process. In order to get it do anything I have to hold down the power button on the remote to shut it off. Then when I turn it back on I have only gotten about 10 or so channels programed into it. Yet when it was doing the self program it showed 145 channels. Now I know that some of the channels are only slightly off the normal channels for supposedly better reception (like 74.1 and 74.2) but this is just terrible. It never finishes its program. When I set down to write this post it was sitting at 91% and it is still at 91%. It also takes forever to turn on. You use the remote and push the power button and you have no way of knowing from the TV if it is on yet or off. There are no light on the front to tell you this. I also get better performance out of the remote when I aim it at the slide out room frame (I get a bounce out of it to the TV) than when I point it directly at the TV.

If I ever order a new trailer again I'm going to leave out the TVs as I think there much better TVs for the money out there than they put in them from the factory.

I think I'm going to start looking for a TV to fit the opening that work worth a dam.

Ok I'm through with my rant does anybody else have this same TV and the same troubles with it that I'm having?
Butch50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-10-2007, 09:26 AM   #2

Excel Owners Club
Does anybody else have problems with their Westinghouse 32" LCD TV. When I ordered my 5er I ordered with the optional 32" TV. This has got to be the biggest piece of garbage TV I have ever seen. When I use it to scan for stations when setting up it gets up to 91% complete and then justs sets there and will not complete the scan process. In order to get it do anything I have to hold down the power button on the remote to shut it off. Then when I turn it back on I have only gotten about 10 or so channels programed into it. Yet when it was doing the self program it showed 145 channels. Now I know that some of the channels are only slightly off the normal channels for supposedly better reception (like 74.1 and 74.2) but this is just terrible. It never finishes its program. When I set down to write this post it was sitting at 91% and it is still at 91%. It also takes forever to turn on. You use the remote and push the power button and you have no way of knowing from the TV if it is on yet or off. There are no light on the front to tell you this. I also get better performance out of the remote when I aim it at the slide out room frame (I get a bounce out of it to the TV) than when I point it directly at the TV.

If I ever order a new trailer again I'm going to leave out the TVs as I think there much better TVs for the money out there than they put in them from the factory.

I think I'm going to start looking for a TV to fit the opening that work worth a dam.

Ok I'm through with my rant does anybody else have this same TV and the same troubles with it that I'm having?
Old 10-10-2007, 10:27 AM   #3

Excel Owners Club
A suggestion is to contact Westinghouse from the lititure that came with the TV. They may have a couple troubleshooting Ideas for you, or may send someone to handle the issue. Suggestion # 2, is have you possibly contacted your dealer for service on the issue. They maybe able to contact Excel and get some answers for you.
With amount of units that we have placed in the market with this TV we have not had one negitive comment about them.

Now I will say that we have several issues with Flat Screen TV's in other units, but not with the Excel lineup.

Hopefully a couple of phone calls will assist you. OR maybe some ideas for others on here may help.

I also just got off the phone with Excel and according to them, they have not had any complaints against the TV.

It is an Electronic piece of Equipment, made overseas and things can or cannot go wrong with this equipment.

Good Luck.
wrongway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 02:08 PM   #4

Excel Owners Club
Wrongway,

Thanks for your response.

Now Folks I have to tell you this is one of the reasons I wanted and bought an Excel after having many other brands before. After posting this I got an email from Bryan and he has already contacted the people that they get the TV from. The supplier has alreaqdy called me and left me a message that he wants to talk to me and thinks I need a new TV. Thanks for your attention after the sale Bryan, this is great customer service.

I guess I need to retract some of the harsh words I posted earlier it is just that I had quite a bit of trouble with mine and I thought it was just the TV but after Bryan's email it appears it probably just mine.

Thanks again

ON EDIT: Now I just need to convince Bryan to get in his plane and fly out to Oregon to replace the TV.
Old 10-11-2007, 05:27 PM   #5

Excel Owners Club
Hi Butch,

I see you still have that F550. Just couldn't part with it?

My 27" failed. Peterson is taking care of me quite satisfactorily.

So I guess that size doesn't matter after all.
Bruce and Jenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 12:57 AM   #6

Excel Owners Club
Until now I thought it was just my ineptness with electronic devices. I have the same 91% hangup when programming channels on my 32" Westinghouse LCD TV. I'll be calling PI on this later today.
Jim & Bona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 05:49 AM   #7

Excel Owners Club
Hi Bruce,

Yea, I still have my F550, just can't quite let it go yet.

How are you guys doing are you enjoying your fulltime lifestyle?
Old 10-12-2007, 09:37 AM   #8

Does this happen only on cable or on the air also?

2007 Excel RT 30RKE
hotair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 11:46 AM   #9

Excel Owners Club
hotair,

I have only had mine hooked up to cable when I tried it, but just for you I just went over and tried it. It worked fine off air programing. So it appears to be just the cable
Old 10-12-2007, 11:59 AM   #10

Excel Owners Club
Same as Butch, works fine off the antenna (air). Problem is with cable only.
Old 10-12-2007, 12:30 PM   #11

Excel Owners Club
Same here: Antenna channele scanning works, cable scanning works for conx with small number of stations. It gets stuck in the 90% range on cable hook-ups with a large number of stations.
Old 10-12-2007, 02:06 PM   #12

Excel Owners Club
I spoke with Westinghouse customer service this afternoon. While they acknowledged that this is not normal performance, the customer service rep almost immediately told me about the workaround which I had discovered on my own: Once the progress bar reaches 80-85% stop the scan by exiting (hit the menu button). This works. I pushed back and said I expect to have my new TV work normally without employing any workarounds. The Westinghouse rep then told me to disconnect the power to the TV for 1-2 minutes, plug in, and do the "factory reset" from the settings menu. "If this doesn't fix the problem call back." It didn't work and I will be calling back.

Old 10-14-2007, 06:04 AM   #13

Excel Owners Club
Jim & Bona

Piease let us know what the customer service tells you the next time you talk to them. Ya know it sounds mighty strange when the customer service rep tells you this is not normal but they have a work around. It would appear that this might be more wide spread then they are letting on. Otherwise why would they know about a work around already? This is something I figured out just messing with it numerous times figuring I couldn't mess it up anymore than it already was.
Old 10-17-2007, 11:12 AM   #14

Excel Owners Club
Just to let everyone know I have received my new 32" replacement TV yesterday. Now just need to get it installed and check it out. This was a quilck turn around on getting a new one that is for sure.