Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-18-2015, 10:26 AM   #15

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by drfife View Post

Using this logic, we should all tow with HDT's.
Your finally coming around Doc.

Rock. I see you called in the troops to help you out. .
Still Working "NOT" is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-18-2015, 12:45 PM   #16

Excel Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
I hope nobody minds me throwing my hat into the ring also...

When I first started looking for an Excel, weight was my primary reason for choosing the one I did... We first looked at a 2005 33RSE. Unloaded weight is 12,520lbs. Well-within my truck's 14,400lb fifth wheel limit. That gave us 1,880lbs of "Stuff" that we could pack into it and still be within our weight rating for the truck. The GVW for the '05 33RSE is 17,500lbs. That is 3,100lbs more than our truck's rated 5th wheel towing capacity. I'm sure we could have just gone without that extra 1,220lbs of "Stuff"

We ended up going for a 2007 30RKE. It's unloaded weight is 12,200lbs. Only 320lbs less than the 33RSE. However, the '07 30RKE's GVWR is only 15,000lbs. in 2008, the 30RKE went to 17,500GVWR.

The Excel we went with, most closely matches our truck's limitations. Do I want to run the truck at it's limits? No. Do I feel safe, towing the rig the way it is? Yes. I have free access, to a truck scale and can weigh the rig anytime I want. I will try to stay as far from the trailer's GVWR as possible. I'll just be my own weight police.

As long as you don't load up your trailer, you can to a 17,500lb GVWR trailer and stay well-within your truck's ratings. Just because it says "17,500lb GVWR" doesn't mean you have to run it that heavy!
EMD_Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 06:16 PM   #17

Got to give my 2 cents worth for dually. We've always had one, use it w/o RV also. It is awkward sometimes to park in the "parking lots" but we just head for outer edge, we need the exercise anyway. I drive it sometimes & have to admit I have trouble judging the rear dually (I know there is no dually on the front-Tom) which the boss doesn't understand at all. HA Story-I tried to move from driveway to front curb. Ended up going in the house & saying okay you park it. I was only a foot from the curb. It's always a matter of choice & comfort.
Old 01-18-2015, 06:17 PM   #18

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMD_Driver View Post
I hope nobody minds me throwing my hat into the ring also...

When I first started looking for an Excel, weight was my primary reason for choosing the one I did... We first looked at a 2005 33RSE. Unloaded weight is 12,520lbs. Well-within my truck's 14,400lb fifth wheel limit. That gave us 1,880lbs of "Stuff" that we could pack into it and still be within our weight rating for the truck. The GVW for the '05 33RSE is 17,500lbs. That is 3,100lbs more than our truck's rated 5th wheel towing capacity. I'm sure we could have just gone without that extra 1,220lbs of "Stuff"

We ended up going for a 2007 30RKE. It's unloaded weight is 12,200lbs. Only 320lbs less than the 33RSE. However, the '07 30RKE's GVWR is only 15,000lbs. in 2008, the 30RKE went to 17,500GVWR.

The Excel we went with, most closely matches our truck's limitations. Do I want to run the truck at it's limits? No. Do I feel safe, towing the rig the way it is? Yes. I have free access, to a truck scale and can weigh the rig anytime I want. I will try to stay as far from the trailer's GVWR as possible. I'll just be my own weight police.

As long as you don't load up your trailer, you can to a 17,500lb GVWR trailer and stay well-within your truck's ratings. Just because it says "17,500lb GVWR" doesn't mean you have to run it that heavy!
Very well put. At the time I bought the HDT I was pulling a 30' RGE. My F250 handle well but when I put a 19' Bass boat behind I was overloaded. I looked at F-350 but did not feel like I was gaining enough to handle it like I wanted. The HDT allowed me to pull safely and the cost was the deciding factor that I went with the HDT.
Still Working "NOT" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 08:55 PM   #19

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by copilot View Post
Got to give my 2 cents worth for dually. We've always had one, use it w/o RV also. It is awkward sometimes to park in the "parking lots" but we just head for outer edge, we need the exercise anyway. I drive it sometimes & have to admit I have trouble judging the rear dually (I know there is no dually on the front-Tom) which the boss doesn't understand at all. HA Story-I tried to move from driveway to front curb. Ended up going in the house & saying okay you park it. I was only a foot from the curb. It's always a matter of choice & comfort.
Oh come on Co.....my bride handles the "little girl truck" better than I do!!! You can do it, you know what I mean? She's gettin' a bit spoiled in driving the Chase (Cappy) car though. rockin'
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 07:52 AM   #20

Tom sent e mail about procedure here, do I have address wrong ?
Old 01-19-2015, 01:03 PM   #21

Thanks for all your help and info. Looks like opinions are divided on how much truck we need but also seems clear that a long bed 350 dually would probably be the safest way to go. Wife and I looked at trucks yesterday and she can't see a dually in our future. I understand her reasoning that it's just too much truck for the majority of the time we would use it (2-3 months towing). So, we are now in search of a lighter weight but same quality 5th wheel. Thanks again.
Bob
RJEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 01:29 PM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJEV View Post
Thanks for all your help and info. Looks like opinions are divided on how much truck we need but also seems clear that a long bed 350 dually would probably be the safest way to go. Wife and I looked at trucks yesterday and she can't see a dually in our future. I understand her reasoning that it's just too much truck for the majority of the time we would use it (2-3 months towing). So, we are now in search of a lighter weight but same quality 5th wheel. Thanks again.
Bob
This sounds like a rational decision. There are a number of threads about this topic. Several of them have links to websites that help you calculate the correct unit combination.

Too many times subjective rather than objective information is portrayed as being correct. The term "towed good" does not mean it is right, just means they think their setup is "good".

When questioned or challenged to use the numbers as specified by the manufacturers the response is labeling. It took all of 14 posts before the 'weight police' label was used. Poor form and very defensive.

If you check the manufacturers they will say the towing capacity depends upon options and accessories selected. They will also say that towing capacity and GCWR is limited by the GVWR and GAWR of the TV.

Good luck in finding the optimal combination. I am sure you will enjoy whatever you purchase.
Old 01-19-2015, 02:43 PM   #23

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
This sounds like a rational decision. There are a number of threads about this topic. Several of them have links to websites that help you calculate the correct unit combination.

Too many times subjective rather than objective information is portrayed as being correct. The term "towed good" does not mean it is right, just means they think their setup is "good".

When questioned or challenged to use the numbers as specified by the manufacturers the response is labeling. It took all of 14 posts before the 'weight police' label was used. Poor form and very defensive.

If you check the manufacturers they will say the towing capacity depends upon options and accessories selected. They will also say that towing capacity and GCWR is limited by the GVWR and GAWR of the TV.

Good luck in finding the optimal combination. I am sure you will enjoy whatever you purchase.
How right you are Gordon. Well said. rockin'
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
Old 01-19-2015, 10:10 PM   #24

Excel Owners Club
It's insulting when DRW drivers chastise me for being unsafe and foolish towing with my SRW truck. I've received nasty PM's to this regard.

I'm no fool. I know the requirements I have for a truck. I know the ratings for my truck. I know my trailer weight loaded for travel.

I don't tell DRW owners they should drive a SRW.

Why do they feel compelled to tell me I'm a fool and a hazard to society?

End of rant.....

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
drfife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 10:42 PM   #25
JDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by drfife View Post
It's insulting when DRW drivers chastise me for being unsafe and foolish towing with my SRW truck. I've received nasty PM's to this regard.

I'm no fool. I know the requirements I have for a truck. I know the ratings for my truck. I know my trailer weight loaded for travel.

I don't tell DRW owners they should drive a SRW.

Why do they feel compelled to tell me I'm a fool and a hazard to society?

End of rant.....
Russell, you'd be last guy I would chastise. Some folks get their dander up when this subject comes up for some reason. Your set up is very good for what you have. The ones I get a little concerned about is like the guy I saw in Branson pulling a 38 foot Mobile Suites with an F250.
JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 04:25 AM   #26

RJEV, you might want to check out Northwoods. They make the Artic Fox campers and they make 5th wheels of the same quality. Northwood Manufacturing
When I was looking I was impressed with them. Good luck. I will say I have found towing with a Dually a much better experience than SRW and it's easier than most people think to drive around town.
Old 01-20-2015, 07:19 AM   #27

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDT View Post
Russell, you'd be last guy I would chastise. Some folks get their dander up when this subject comes up for some reason. Your set up is very good for what you have. The ones I get a little concerned about is like the guy I saw in Branson pulling a 38 foot Mobile Suites with an F250.
X 2. I think there are some folks that just want to get a rise out of you. rockin'
Old 01-20-2015, 07:54 AM   #28

I remember being a little apprehensive concerning the size of a dually when I bought mine. After a week or two I was over it. The bed is no wider than my mirrors.

I have much more difficulty with the length of the truck, being it is a crew cab with long bed. Makes it hard to maneuver around some parking areas.

Trucks do seem to getting larger though.