Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-24-2010, 05:17 PM   #15

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaH View Post
Me, too, Ken. But I doubt the OP will ever do that...he'd rather complain and if he took the rig to the factory to have everything fixed, he'd have nothing to complain about!
Good ol' Linda......you sure don't post much here, but when you do......you make it count!!! Welcome back!!
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2010, 03:10 PM   #16

Excel Owners Club
Linda,
Maybe a trip to Kansas for you is nothing more than a trip to the grocery for the rest of us. I don't think a trip to Kansas for repairs should be routine when paying a lot of money for something. Try to see it from their shoes. I know I am not happy with our unit and would hate to have to travel half way across the country for repairs. I have an '08 Silverado with 14K miles that I can't trust to get me anywhere either, but I can take it to a local dealer for repairs.
Ed

2008 Excel E33TKE,'08 K3500 DRW, B&W Hitch
evan0810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 06:27 PM   #17

Hello I work for a living I have time to post & read this forum & others as well seems like the the only one speading BULL IS JAMESHANCE.
Old 08-22-2010, 12:33 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by evan0810 View Post
Linda,
Maybe a trip to Kansas for you is nothing more than a trip to the grocery for the rest of us. I don't think a trip to Kansas for repairs should be routine when paying a lot of money for something. Try to see it from their shoes. I know I am not happy with our unit and would hate to have to travel half way across the country for repairs. I have an '08 Silverado with 14K miles that I can't trust to get me anywhere either, but I can take it to a local dealer for repairs.
Ed
Oh I agree Ed, My wife and I took the trip to PI and we live in Massachusetts for all four bedroom slides. We have a 2005 36RDE, I called last year and they fit us in in May (This past May) so we took the long trek out to the middle of the country, it was a nice trip with a few flat tires and well our Fridge died in there shop (2nd fridge by the way) so we had to buy a new one from them and had it installed. We had a big bill at the end but they worked out a deal that I thought was fair (if we brought it to them to have the rotted slide out floors (hopefully properly fixed) They was as nice as can be and we are still glad we chose Excel as our full time RV. As of now I/we would and will buy a new one when its time.

take care,
Eddie
Eddie & Renee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 09:57 AM   #19

Excel Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to KU9L
Quote:
Originally Posted by evan0810 View Post
Linda,
I have an '08 Silverado with 14K miles that I can't trust to get me anywhere either, but I can take it to a local dealer for repairs.
Ed
"Knock on wood", we haven't had a bit of trouble with our '08 Silverado with 36K miles on it, but we are pulling a 15K lb 33RSE RT which puts us right at the GCWR limit compared to a few full-timer Limited's we noted were 3.25K lb over GCWR when fully loaded. The specs are maximum towing limits and not what should be an everyday rating for 24/7 daily towing over 200K miles. Full-timers tend to bring it all with us, so being much lighter is not a normal option if we want to have it all. So we either have to get a bigger truck or stay with the same GVWR in the future or succumb to the philosophy of "I am not sure why I've had 3 breakdowns, I am only 3.25K lbs over GCWR of our truck!"

After a couple dozen Rocky Mountain passes this summer we are ready for a bigger truck and a nice exhaust brake indeed.

Dave
'93 Fleetwood Oak Park w/12'x34' lanai @ Pioneer Village in N. Ft Myers, FL
KU9L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 11:22 AM   #20

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by KU9L View Post
"Knock on wood", we haven't had a bit of trouble with our '08 Silverado with 36K miles on it, but we are pulling a 15K lb 33RSE RT which puts us right at the GCWR limit compared to a few full-timer Limited's we noted were 3.25K lb over GCWR when fully loaded. The specs are maximum towing limits and not what should be an everyday rating for 24/7 daily towing over 200K miles. Full-timers tend to bring it all with us, so being much lighter is not a normal option if we want to have it all. So we either have to get a bigger truck or stay with the same GVWR in the future or succumb to the philosophy of "I am not sure why I've had 3 breakdowns, I am only 3.25K lbs over GCWR of our truck!"

After a couple dozen Rocky Mountain passes this summer we are ready for a bigger truck and a nice exhaust brake indeed.

Dave
Dave, You gonna hafta jump into one of the new 2011 HD Chevy or GMC....lots more capacity (and money). We are thinking about one next year. BTW our little 33RSO is 16,400 lbs. fully loaded. Mama keeps the load to a minimum, and she's always on me to minimize our weight. If she keeps bugging me.......I'm gonna stop weighing it!!! Just kiddin'
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
Old 08-23-2010, 01:58 PM   #21

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockintom View Post
... If she keeps bugging me.......I'm gonna stop weighing it!!! Just kiddin'
Tom,

I'm not sure what you're gonna stop weighing - the rear end of the trailer or the rear end of SKIA.

Jim
Jim & Bona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 03:28 PM   #22

Excel Owners Club
There has been a big discussion on the Escapee forum about the new 2011's and there is very little physics to back up their claims of increased hp, tq, GVWR, & GCWR. The bottom line is that there are going to be a lot more component failures and people put into danger when the big 5er's push them right through an intersection in a panic stop. Once the 5er weighs 2x the LDT, all of the technology in the world cannot overcome the laws of physics ... unless of course I start believing the commercials, LOL!

Dave
Old 08-23-2010, 03:45 PM   #23

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by KU9L View Post
There has been a big discussion on the Escapee forum about the new 2011's and there is very little physics to back up their claims of increased hp, tq, GVWR, & GCWR. The bottom line is that there are going to be a lot more component failures and people put into danger when the big 5er's push them right through an intersection in a panic stop. Once the 5er weighs 2x the LDT, all of the technology in the world cannot overcome the laws of physics ... unless of course I start believing the commercials, LOL!

Dave
Guess I don't understand your comment highlighted in red. All the literature I've read, explain it clearly. Full box frame, 14" disc brakes, variable control turbo exhaust brake, etc. etc. So I don't understand your statement. Please help me understand. Here are just a few bits of info. that GM is making.

The fully boxed frame and all-new front and rear suspensions are the biggest reasons for the huge increases in Gross Vehicle Weight Ratings:
  • Massive components include three-inch-wide rear leaf springs and precision-forged upper control arms
  • The new independent front suspension allows each front wheel to react independently to rough terrain, helping keep each wheel in a vertical position and more firmly planted on the road
  • To better manage larger capacities, the steering knuckle is taller and 66% heavier than before
  • The rear suspension includes 20% wider leaf springs with an asymmetric design that reduces wheel hop on acceleration and better handles increased payloads
  • Our all-new chassis features a high-strength, fully boxed steel frame that's five times torsionally stiffer than before and lets Silverado 3500HD shoulder up to 6,635 lbs. of payload(5,9) - more than Ford F-350 or Ram 3500.
    The suspension got a complete redesign with bigger, stronger components engineered to handle increased loads and improve ride quality over the previous generation.

For heavy-duty trucks, torque is king. And the legendary, available Duramax 6.6L Turbo-Diesel V8 engine wears the crown:
    • More maximum hp and torque than any competitor - 397 horses and 765 lb.-ft. of torque - the most powerful heavy-duty ever made
    • 21,700 lbs. of maximum towing(4,6) - more than Ford or Ram
    • More than 11% improvement in highway fuel economy(7) over the previous generation
Old 08-23-2010, 04:12 PM   #24

Excel Owners Club
Those are all impressive specs and I appreciate all of the research that goes into technology improvements, but reading the LDT forums you'd think miracles have been performed when essentially we are still talking about a basic 1T pickup truck pulling a 21K lb 5er. What happens when an 8K lb pickup truck pulling a 21K lb 5er hits an oil slick while making a panic stop at a stoplight? ... let alone throw in curve balls like losing the 5er brakes or any number of other possibilities. One thing is for certain, 5er's are going to get larger and the big 3 are going to publish bigger and bigger specs for their Class 3 haulers.

Dave
Old 08-23-2010, 04:29 PM   #25

Excel Owners Club
I guess I see your point....which is no matter how big a truck you have....folks are gonna go beyond the capacities. Frankly I'm impressed with the new capacities....it would actually make me legal. I don't plan on getting bigger or heavier. What I'm alway amazed by is these folks with triple axle units trailers about 40ft long and pullin it with 3/4 truck! H-E-L-L-O Ask them about their weight.....and they say it pulls fine!!!

Here a while back.....saw a young teen aged gal pulling what looked about to be a 30 ft horse trailer loaded with horses and pulling it with a 1500 Chevy truck....Lord have mercy....had a goose neck hitch and the truck looked like a low rider all the way around. Where's my camera when I need it!!! rockin'
Old 08-23-2010, 08:44 PM   #26

Excel Owners Club
Yeah, seen a couple 40' toyhaulers being pulled by 1/2 ton trucks recently.

We will see which of the specs turn out to be real from the big three as radical improvements like that tend to come with complications on the hardware until all of the bugs are worked out. Turn up the hp, tq, & MPG's too much and the results can vary radically from user to user. One or two or three of the big three are lying to cover what they are trying to match with the others.

Dave
Old 08-24-2010, 04:48 AM   #27

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockintom View Post
I guess I see your point....which is no matter how big a truck you have....folks are gonna go beyond the capacities. Frankly I'm impressed with the new capacities....
Rockin,

I don't think I've yet seen the RV trailer that can cause me to exceed BigBit's capacities. Right now we're just over 50% on GCVW. There's plenty of room to grow. It's easier for me to exceed legal length. It's time for you to quit breakin the law and get with the HDT program.
Endeavor2BnC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 08:21 AM   #28

Excel Owners Club
Good one Tim, but SKIA will never listen to us.

I just used my 3/4 ton Ford to move the Wild Cargo off the drive, I didn't like that let alone the pickup. So I'll stick to using the HD MULE to move the Wild Cargo from now on.
Still Working "NOT" is offline   Reply With Quote