Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-15-2007, 07:47 PM   #1

Dryheat,

I noticed that you have a 5th Airborne pin box. I asked our Excel dealer recently about it since I have a shortbed TV. They said that Excel initially OK'd the use of it, but have now rescinded that endorsement. In fact, the use of it may expressly void the warranty. Evidently, they are concerned about the forces applied to the coach when hooking up at an angle instead of straight back.

Have you gotten an OK from Excel to install the 5th Airborne?

A comment from ExcelRVGuy would also be very much appreciated here.

Arizona
Greenthumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-15-2007, 07:47 PM   #2

Dryheat,

I noticed that you have a 5th Airborne pin box. I asked our Excel dealer recently about it since I have a shortbed TV. They said that Excel initially OK'd the use of it, but have now rescinded that endorsement. In fact, the use of it may expressly void the warranty. Evidently, they are concerned about the forces applied to the coach when hooking up at an angle instead of straight back.

Have you gotten an OK from Excel to install the 5th Airborne?

A comment from ExcelRVGuy would also be very much appreciated here.

Arizona
Greenthumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 07:54 PM   #3

Excel Owners Club
This is news to me. My Excel dealer installed a 5th Airborne Sidewinder combo upon my taking delivery on 4/5/07.

I hope there are no serious safety concerns.
Old 05-16-2007, 03:52 AM   #4

Our Excel salesman insited we get one installed prior to us leaving the lot. In fact he is going to install it. Keep ya posted.

Auto and Jake Brake
Dryheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 04:38 AM   #5

Excel Owners Club
Dryheat, you have a superglide AND you are getting the sidewinder pin box?? I didn't think you could double articulate like that.

Or are you getting the regular 5th pin box?

Maybe Excel isn't liking 5th Airborne because Excel is selling Demco?? (I have, and love the Demco!)

2005 Forrest River Charleston 400TS DP
D and J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 09:10 AM   #6

yes, it the rigid 5th airbotne and not the 5th airborne sidewinder.

Auto and Jake Brake
Old 05-16-2007, 09:54 AM   #7

To All,

Just spoke to our dealer, and he assured us that the 5th airborne is an authorized hitch. He stated that a goose neck hitch is not authorized by excel. The fact that an authorized excel dealer installed or installs the hitch is covered by excel. Thanks for the heads up. Anxiously awaiting!!

Auto and Jake Brake
Old 05-16-2007, 10:22 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
That sounds more reasonable "Dryheat" -- I couldn't think of a reason for PI to ban a certain manufacturer's 5th wheel hitches. The gooseneck issue was in the last "Excel Extra Newsletter".
Old 05-16-2007, 12:11 PM   #9

Excel Owners Club
since the 5th Airborne has a built in shock system and is "rigid", we have no issue with it. However, the "Sidewinder" pinbox (with the pivoting mechanism) extends too far forward and the leverage is too great for Peterson Industries to feel comfortable endorsing.
ExcelRVGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 12:25 PM   #10

Excel Owners Club
Hi Bryan,

Now that I have had a 5th Airborned/Sidewinder installed by RV Sales NM, what are my options to maintain my warranty?
Old 05-16-2007, 02:15 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
ExcelRVGuy,
This is the type of "news items" that your folks could post in the 'Peterson Industries News Corner'. Our forum is visited by hundreds of folks everyday and offers a way of getting the PI news out to owners. The gooseneck hitch is another example.

How do the dealers get the news? Are they sent a group email with updates? If so, include my private email and I'll extract the information and post on the forum. Just a suggestion.
John