Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-01-2014, 06:30 AM   #1
Jax

Thor Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
5th Wheel built for Nuwa

I have a 2012 Snowbird 34IK built by Excel. This 5th wheel was built for Nuwa. All of the frames that I can tell that Peterson Ind. builds seems to be tube frame. Mine was built with an I beam. With in 2 years from purchase I have had numerous cracks form along the I beam length-wise above the axles on both sides. We have always taken pains to make sure we never have gone off paved roads with it. Mike from Nuwa said that Peterson/Excel designed and built the unit frame up. My question is why would they just build a few Snowbirds with I beam frames and all of there's are built with a stronger type of frame? Also I think because of the frame is putting the equalizers in a bind, I break an equalizer quite frequently. Brought the trailer to factory for repairs and are going to be responsible for 50 percent of repairs, not something I'm very happy about! I hope that it can be repaired as we do love the hickory interior and trailer. Are there any identifying marks on the frame as to manufactured the frame? Any info would be appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Left side 6.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	171.5 KB
ID:	77973   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_5731.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	208.8 KB
ID:	77974  

Jax is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-01-2014, 06:50 AM   #2

Excel Owners Club
Interesting. When PI built the few early rigs for NuWa in 2012.....it looked like to me the main structure of the rig was a NuWa leftover (outside and main body). And the guts appear to be Excel style stuff.

I was told that on the newer built units, PI builds them and NuWa warranties them in Chanute, KS. Just my speculation. Would be interesting to hear an official word on this subject. Sorry to hear of your woes. rockin'
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 07:03 AM   #3
Jax

Thor Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Nuwa said they do not warrant it. Its PI that will do the warranty on it! Even tho my title says Nuwa!
Jax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 08:17 AM   #4

Excel Owners Club
Very unfortunate. Hope that you can get your issues solved to your satisfaction.
happy tails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 01:02 PM   #5

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
PI's new business model (whatever it is) does not seem to be turning out the quality product we all use to champion.
chief02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 09:17 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax View Post
I have a 2012 Snowbird 34IK built by Excel. This 5th wheel was built for Nuwa. All of the frames that I can tell that Peterson Ind. builds seems to be tube frame. Mine was built with an I beam. With in 2 years from purchase I have had numerous cracks form along the I beam length-wise above the axles on both sides. We have always taken pains to make sure we never have gone off paved roads with it. Mike from Nuwa said that Peterson/Excel designed and built the unit frame up. My question is why would they just build a few Snowbirds with I beam frames and all of there's are built with a stronger type of frame? Also I think because of the frame is putting the equalizers in a bind, I break an equalizer quite frequently. Brought the trailer to factory for repairs and are going to be responsible for 50 percent of repairs, not something I'm very happy about! I hope that it can be repaired as we do love the hickory interior and trailer. Are there any identifying marks on the frame as to manufactured the frame? Any info would be appreciated.
The underside of your Nuwa trailer appears to have very little in common with the two PI produced Excel rigs I've owned. Perhaps Mike was saying that everything above the frame was PI? Either way, the defects in your pics are pretty ugly and I wish you the best in getting the issue resolved. If the point of your post was to discourage people from buying Excel trailers, you're in the right place but consumers should understand that your pictures are not of an Excel trailer.
Old 11-03-2014, 09:42 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by chief02 View Post
PI's new business model (whatever it is) does not seem to be turning out the quality product we all use to champion.
Wow do I feel lucky My 2014 Excel has only needed a warranty replacement LED light cover in 7 months of heavy use. I'll admit that it hasn't been free of defects but all have been very minor and easily addressed using only basic mechanical skills. I'm only one consumer but my new Excel seems to be even better than my lovable old 2007 Excel
Old 11-03-2014, 10:03 AM   #8

Excel Owners Club
Yea my 2010 issues have not been like some of the major late model issues out there. Our trip to SC in August was an eye opener meeting all the new owners with very serious issues and with the layoff/firings that had just taken place things were very chaotic. I feel fortunate that I can fix and maintain most of the issues I run into. Only had to take it to Smith Center two time in four years. The rash of issues seem to be hit and miss. But that is industry wide with all other brands also.
Old 11-03-2014, 10:56 AM   #9

Excel Owners Club
Steve, I think it would be better phrased as a NUWA trailer built by PI. Clearly the I beam frame is a left over from NUWA....PI never used I beam frame on any of the Excel 5th wheels I've seen. rockintom
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 09:49 AM   #10
Jax

Thor Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
I am not trying to discourage anybody from buying Excel. In fact I think Excel builds an excellent unit, just frustrated that mine was built with I beam frame. I knew nothing about 5th wheels before we purchased this one. Education always cost in one form or another. Before we left Smith Center, we look at a new Windsor, yes the wife and I really got spoiled just looking at it. Of course we have the same Hickory cabinets in ours. Can't afford it now but maybe its in our future! I know know what kind of frame I want in a 5th wheel! I am just hoping that PI can repair ours so that we can return back to the road again! Remaining hopeful!
Old 11-04-2014, 12:18 PM   #11

Jack, from your picture it looks like there is a spacer between your spring hangers and the I-beam frame. I had a 2006 Cardinal (Forest River) trailer that also had a spacer between the hangers and the I-beam. It too developed cracks due to additional stress (leverage) caused by the additional distance from the hangers to the I-beam.
Rob17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 02:32 PM   #12

Excel Owners Club
Your frame and suspension does not look like any Excel I've seen.

Perhaps Tom is right (don't let it go to his SKIA head) that the frame was actually NuWa built and Peterson/Excel did the finish out.

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
drfife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 02:48 PM   #13

Excel Owners Club
Hard to imagine a heavy Excel built on a "I" beam. Excel sure wouldn't do that with there own name on it. Unless maybe they are building something way lighter under this agreement.
Old 11-05-2014, 02:20 PM   #14
Jax

Thor Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Correction, meant Winslow instead of Windsor! I agree, it does not look like anything Excel has built. Rob17, that makes alot of sense about leverage! Certainly with the repair that Ralph is going to do I hope that there is adequate bracing tied in to the other side. There is a tremendous loading right there at the axles when turning sharply. Thanks for all the encouragement! The data plate by the pin box does not say "Excel" It says Peterson Industries!

Tags
5th wheel