Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-08-2010, 05:00 PM   #1

Excel Owners Club
5th Wheel/TT and The New Home Tax Break 2009

I bet many folks wonder about the new tax credit break for 2009 on a new home purchase. Did some research and won't get into detail, but found out that a non motorized trailer DOES qualify for this tax break, but only IF it is permanently AFFIXED to land (you don't have to own the land) and is your main residence. If you move it to travel then it doesn't qualify. I called the IRS answerline to confirm. My TurboTax program lead me to believe I could take the tax break. There's alot more to it, but won't get into it here.
Dawg Gone It!!! rockin'
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-08-2010, 06:16 PM   #2

Excel Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to KU9L
#%^&*$@!!!!!!!!!!!!
'93 Fleetwood Oak Park w/12'x34' lanai @ Pioneer Village in N. Ft Myers, FL
KU9L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 07:50 PM   #3

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockintom View Post
I bet many folks wonder about the new tax credit break for 2009 on a new home purchase. Did some research and won't get into detail, but found out that a non motorized trailer DOES qualify for this tax break, but only IF it is permanently AFFIXED to land (you don't have to own the land) and is your main residence. If you move it to travel then it doesn't qualify. I called the IRS answerline to confirm. My TurboTax program lead me to believe I could take the tax break. There's alot more to it, but won't get into it here.
Dawg Gone It!!! rockin'
This is copied directly out of the IRS website.

Q. If a taxpayer purchases a mobile home (manufactured home) with land and qualifies for the credit, is the amount of the credit based on the combined cost of the home and land?
A. Yes. The first-time homebuyer credit is ten percent of the purchase price of a principal residence. The total purchase price (mobile home and land) is used to determine the amount of the first-time homebuyer credit.
Q. Is a taxpayer who purchases a mobile home and places the home on leased land eligible for the first-time homebuyer credit?
A. Yes. A mobile home may qualify as a principal residence and it is not necessary that the taxpayer own the land to qualify for the first-time homebuyer credit.
Q. Can a taxpayer who purchases a travel trailer qualify for the credit?
A. A travel trailer that is affixed to land may qualify as a principal residence.
Q. Can an individual who has lived in an RV qualify for the credit?
A. For purposes of the first-time homebuyer credit, an RV with a built-in motor is personal property that is not affixed to land and does not qualify as a principal residence. Accordingly, someone who has owned and lived in an RV within the past three years may still qualify as a first-time homebuyer.
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
Old 03-08-2010, 08:07 PM   #4

Excel Owners Club
So much for the little guy getting a break in this ...Argh!
Old 03-09-2010, 06:10 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockintom View Post
This is copied directly out of the IRS website.

Q. If a taxpayer purchases a mobile home (manufactured home) with land and qualifies for the credit, is the amount of the credit based on the combined cost of the home and land?
A. Yes. The first-time homebuyer credit is ten percent of the purchase price of a principal residence. The total purchase price (mobile home and land) is used to determine the amount of the first-time homebuyer credit.
Q. Is a taxpayer who purchases a mobile home and places the home on leased land eligible for the first-time homebuyer credit?
A. Yes. A mobile home may qualify as a principal residence and it is not necessary that the taxpayer own the land to qualify for the first-time homebuyer credit.
Q. Can a taxpayer who purchases a travel trailer qualify for the credit?
A. A travel trailer that is affixed to land may qualify as a principal residence.
Q. Can an individual who has lived in an RV qualify for the credit?
A. For purposes of the first-time homebuyer credit, an RV with a built-in motor is personal property that is not affixed to land and does not qualify as a principal residence. Accordingly, someone who has owned and lived in an RV within the past three years may still qualify as a first-time homebuyer.
Notice that throughout the rules is the key operative word "MAY" . They WILL always use their subjective opinion to make the final judgement.
Endeavor2BnC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 07:05 AM   #6

Excel Owners Club
I'm glad you researched this our tax preparer told us to do the research since it was something he had never dealt with but didn't think it would apply to us. So thanks for saving us some time on the internet.
janieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 07:28 AM   #7

Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
However, I think you can deduct the interest on the loan.
Old 03-09-2010, 10:22 AM   #8

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by janieD View Post
I'm glad you researched this our tax preparer told us to do the research since it was something he had never dealt with but didn't think it would apply to us. So thanks for saving us some time on the internet.
Your welcome Janie...hope to meet in person someday soon when you guys "get with it"? rockin'
Old 03-09-2010, 10:24 AM   #9

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynnvt View Post
However, I think you can deduct the interest on the loan.
You're right! We didn't do a loan. Some states allow registration tax and fees deductions....our state TX is one that doesn't! rockin'
Old 03-10-2010, 04:34 AM   #10

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by janieD View Post

Janie, With you going into retirement and needing to have one’s ducks in the proper order. I think I would be looking for a new Tax Person., that is what you hire them for is their knowledge. If mine told me to research an issue I’d tell them “I’d be researching a new Tax Preparer.“. Just m2c...
BookIIRoadtrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 07:24 AM   #11

Excel Owners Club
Actually, he has been very good but we are his first client that were buying an RV for their primary home so he was doing the research but also wanted John to so he didn't miss anything. So they were double teaming it. He knew that John and I are on forums specific to this issue and so may find out something that he hadn't found yet even though his first thought is that it wouldn't fit the criteria.
janieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 10:18 AM   #12

Excel Owners Club
I wonder how long they require to be "fixed to the land" to qualify? I can't see them being able to deny it if we changed our minds a couple years later?
Old 03-12-2010, 07:46 AM   #13

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by KU9L View Post
I wonder how long they require to be "fixed to the land" to qualify? I can't see them being able to deny it if we changed our minds a couple years later?
I thought the same thing.....doubt if they would send someone to our "permanent address" in Livingston, TX to check and make sure we were "affixed" there!

My bride used to teach business ethics in her former life and actually believes what she teached. So we didn't take the deduction......this lady is one that finds a penny on the street and trys to finds the rightful owner!! If that's not possible she'll donate it to a good cause. I get in trouble with her for tasting a grape in the produce section of the store. The way I look at it....they should take in consideration how much wine I buy there!!