Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-28-2015, 05:06 PM   #1

A&E WeatherPro Awning

I have a A&E WeatherPro Awning on my '09 30TKE. One support arm's pivot holes broke and I need to locate parts.

Of the two support arms (left near the door and right near the nose), the left side has a spring loaded component that allows the awning to "dip" when water builds up. This is the section I need to replace.

Since it's not really secure, I hate to run it out to see if there is a serial number, etc. Anyone know where to find a parts breakdown? PPL in Houston said they'd need more info.

Brad
BradBev is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-29-2015, 07:31 PM   #2

Excel Owners Club
Brad,

My experience with getting the RIGHT part for the Dometic is to have the model and serial #. Here's mine and a pic of the part you described. Mine's a 2012 model.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Weatherpro Arm for A&E Dometic Awning 002 (Copy).jpg
Views:	549
Size:	168.1 KB
ID:	108393   Click image for larger version

Name:	Weatherpro Arm for A&E Dometic Awning 003 (Copy).jpg
Views:	230
Size:	150.6 KB
ID:	108394  

2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 10:05 PM   #3

Thanks Tom. That's the part. Mine is white whereas looks like yours is black.

I can't really get the thing extended to read the model and serial numbers with the broken link, so I've followed support's instructions and emailed pictures. I thought I'd hear back from them today but "no joy".
Old 10-07-2015, 01:13 AM   #4

Thought I'd post a note about my trials trying to find parts for the A&E awning. I finally figured out a way of running the awning out so I could get a model and serial number. Then I called Dometic (A&E) customer service and was told the lower support arms are not sold individually, but has to be purchased as part of either the complete left or right arm set (for between $500 and $600).

At that point, I decided I would try to repair the spring arm or fabricate a straight arm like the one on the right. Less expensive A&E awnings use the straight arms on both sides of the awning. This means it doesn't have the feature of automatically dumping the water but if you look at the thickness of the aluminum channel, you will see the straight arms are more rugged.

Since Beverly and I needed to run to Albuquerque, I stopped in Moriarty to see Kay of Kay's RV located next to NM RV Sales that use to be the Excel dealer. (Kay had moved next door and started her own business several years ago.)

When I told Kay what I needed, she said check with the repairman and we found exactly what I needed out in the junk pile that would have eventually ended up in the dump. I even found a 5" cap for the swing out sewer line. It will need some cleanup but will replace the one I lost around Skagway Alaska.

Kay was very helpful when I purchased this used Excel 6 months ago, and continues to help after the sale.

So, my advise, if you own the WeatherPro, take a look at the lower spring loaded arm, the lower aluminum channel is thin compared to the top of the arm (and both ends of the right lower arm). Since I was able to salvage a straight arm (right) and a spring loaded left, I am initually installing the straight arm until I can figure out a way to strengthen the thin aluminum section on the left arm.

I'll post a picture when I have a chance to tackle it.

(FYI, when the left arm fails like mine did, you loose the compression spring inside, so try to catch it before it fails.)

I'd post a picture of the failed part but I can't remember how to post a picture right now.
Old 10-07-2015, 09:19 AM   #5

Excel Owners Club
Brad,

Thanks so much for taking the time to post this info. When we run into things like this, sharing sure helps others. rockin'
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning