Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-26-2010, 02:47 AM   #1

Thor Owners Club
A couple of "uncategorized" questions

For those who do not know of me yet, you can check me out HERE

I need some direction here. If these questions can be answered elsewhere, please point me there. I did not have any luck using the "search" feature.

I am looking for some info on the following subjects...
  • Installing a powered vent fan in the living room of my trailer, more specifically if PI has a 12 volt unswitched line and ground in the ceiling close by.
  • Is there a thread somewhere that deals with the "gelcoat" delaminating? I have a could spots under windows that are not too bad now and I want to try to repair them. (Workshop??? )
  • Is there a glossary somewhere that explains the suffix that is the end of the model number of my 5er? I have a E 345 TRJM. I know the 345 is 34.5 feet, but I have no idea what the TRJM means, or the "E" for that matter.
This is the "new to me" 96 Excel 5er and my 98 Dodge / Cummins truck.
We bought it last fall, and only had it out once before winterizing it!

Sorry for the poor picture quality. Only one I could find one and it is from my phone!

Full disclosure here... I bought the truck 6 years ago from a good friend of mine who used to pull a '96 Excel 34-5 RGR with it. When I bought it, I talked him into leaving the graphics on the truck! Ever since then I have wanted an Excel with those graphics to make up a matched set again!

Thanks in advance for any direction!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-26-2010, 06:41 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbkerk View Post

I am looking for some info on the following subjects...
  • Installing a powered vent fan in the living room of my trailer, more specifically if PI has a 12 volt unswitched line and ground in the ceiling close by.
  • Is there a thread somewhere that deals with the "gelcoat" delaminating? I have a could spots under windows that are not too bad now and I want to try to repair them. (Workshop??? )
  • Is there a glossary somewhere that explains the suffix that is the end of the model number of my 5er? I have a E 345 TRJM. I know the 345 is 34.5 feet, but I have no idea what the TRJM means, or the "E" for that matter.
___Power vent...can't say for sure without seeing your unit. But would guess there might be. On my unit, using the diagram below, L4 and L6 at the rear of the unit have unswitched wires (hot) running to the lights as does L2, L9 and L13 in the kitchen area. The 12vdc supply lines are hot and the light is switched at the unit. The L1 lights are overhead ceiling lights and are controled by switches at the door. For me using L4, mounted under the rear cabinet would be my best power source.

It would be where your lights might be, for power, the location of the vent opening and whether a 'fish tape' can make it there.

___"gelcoat" delaminating...would need to see a picture of that. Have repaired four areas on my unit there moisture has caused serious damage to the wood behind the fiberglass and the areas rebuilt. In each case there was little evidence that a problem to that extent existed. Below is a photo I posted earlier of the cross section of the fiberglass on my unit. It was from under the bumper. The side wall areas have a plywood/sheet, maybe +1/8, thick as part of the sidewall. The fiberglass is 1/8" thick with a thin "white gelcoat" on the exterior.

If you have a 'bump out' in an area...would guess there might be damage in the wall...and the ply backer is bad and it's separated from the framing. As strong as the 'glass' has been on my unit, would guess it's a backer problem, which is fixable....

Have no idea on the lettering.

workhorse
Old 02-26-2010, 09:15 AM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workshop View Post

___"gelcoat" delaminating...would need to see a picture of that. Have repaired four areas on my unit there moisture has caused serious damage to the wood behind the fiberglass and the areas rebuilt. In each case there was little evidence that a problem to that extent existed. Below is a photo I posted earlier of the cross section of the fiberglass on my unit. It was from under the bumper. The side wall areas have a plywood/sheet, maybe +1/8, thick as part of the sidewall. The fiberglass is 1/8" thick with a thin "white gelcoat" on the exterior.

If you have a 'bump out' in an area...would guess there might be damage in the wall...and the ply backer is bad and it's separated from the framing. As strong as the 'glass' has been on my unit, would guess it's a backer problem, which is fixable....

I could have phrased that better. I suspect what is wrong is that the plywood behind the gelcoat is delaminating. In one area, (under the right front bedroom window) there is an area about 18" square that is soft on the outside, as well as the inside of the trailer. If you look close you can see a "bubble" on the outside, however the gelcoat remains intact.

If you have worked on any issues like this, I would sure love to see that thread if you posted it here!
Old 02-26-2010, 09:38 AM   #4

Mark...wasn't able to see the damage, tried opening in my photo program and get to grain-ie.

Go to page 2, post 18 in '101'. I repaired the wall below the window on the sofa/dinette slide that should be simular in problems. How is the floor below the damage area? I was lucky and had no floor problem, just wall. Check for the seal around the window between the window's frame and body. Believe that could have been an area on water entry on my unit..just not sure.

workhorse
Old 02-26-2010, 08:38 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
I saw your repair Chris... That is what I need to do. Will have to wait for warmer weather!

As soon as I can get the trailer out and opened up (snow!) I will get some pictures of the damage up so I can get some more direct advice!