Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-21-2015, 06:58 AM   #29

Sure would like or hope that service dept. would stay open. Ralph and his staff were the best. Tough times still. Wishing all the staff and employees the best. Wish,somehow, that we could still stay in touch.
excel2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2015, 08:29 AM   #30

Excel Owners Club
Sad news. I feel sorry for all the owners and employees of Petersen industries.
But, where does this leave those of us with new 2015 models? I assume we now have no support or warranty ?
Good luck in the future to all the crew there.
Sdharleyride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 11:48 AM   #31

Excel Owners Club
Very disappointing news. Our thoughts are with everyone at Peterson Industries.

Scott & Mary
2015 Limited RDE
zipposrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 04:27 PM   #32

We finally made our decision to purchase a Limited 34 IKE and see that PI is no longer open for business. Any suggestions for a comparable 5th wheel so I can begin my research all over again. Thank you.
Gambino23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 04:32 PM   #33

Excel Owners Club
Gambino, Welcome to the forum. My next choice would be DRV for price/value points. rockin'
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 05:36 PM   #34

I do wish that someone will step in and buy Peterson as a whole entity and not be picked apart like Carriage was. While we love our Carrilite, finding Carriage specific parts is a pain in the rear.
Old 03-21-2015, 06:51 PM   #35
JDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gambino23 View Post
We finally made our decision to purchase a Limited 34 IKE and see that PI is no longer open for business. Any suggestions for a comparable 5th wheel so I can begin my research all over again. Thank you.
Not sure how they stack up against the rest but I was looking at Lifestyle who also builds their frames in house and uses a double stacked box frame. They were formed from the old Carriage/Cameo company. Kansas RV Center has some in stock along with some DRV Mobile Suites and Traditions.
JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 07:43 PM   #36

Winnebago Owners Club
Best wishes for a successful future. This is a sad setback but out of failure can come a stronger future.
Old 03-22-2015, 05:06 AM   #37

I had just talked with Ralph on the phone the day before. Everything was business as usual, so it was really a shock when I called the next day to get the message that they had ceased operations. We were early in our relationship with Peterson Industries and had chosen Excel because of the great customer service we have read about on this forum. They were living up to their reputation. I wish all of the employees best of luck. I don't know what the future of Nu-Wa holds, but if they plan to begin building their own units, then hopefully some of the Excel employees can go to work there.
KnightsWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 05:15 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gambino23 View Post
I would recommend buying a used Excel. There are plenty of Teton, Carriage, and NuWa owners out there that are still happy with their trailers. Take the money you'll save and buy some upgrades.

If you must buy new, you might check to see what NuWa's plans are for the future.

Unless things have changed from when I did my research, if you went with LifeStyle, you would be going from outstanding customer service with Excel to less than satisfactory with LifeStyle. Just my opinion.
KnightsWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 07:31 AM   #39

Prices for existing units will FALLLLLLLLL, now that service is unavailable. Even tho most of the Excel's out there are servicable by anyone. I remember when Monoco folded in 2008/9 and you could pick of a unit for almost half price off MSRP. The over all economy is better now, so it won't be that good.

My question is WHY wern't they selling enough of them to keep going when the market is in pretty good shape. Something must have been wrong over the past 7 years with their business model. Maybe the wood frame lost favor with the consumers with all the advertisment (not reality) on aluminum frames etc.

Hmmm. I didn't have an Excel by really considered them as a first class outfit and looked at the various models over the years. I kept getting small units , so the excel line became a remote possibility. Makes you wonder.
Old 03-22-2015, 07:40 AM   #40

Excel Owners Club
The employees of PI have set an excellent example for future RV manufacturers to meet regarding workmanship and customer service. We are proud to have called 2 Excel's home for 10 years. Prayers and best wishes to all in Smith Center.
Old 03-22-2015, 11:23 AM   #41

So now what happens?

with the NEW Excel units out there on dealer's lots. Are the dealers required to inform customers about the current state of affairs and warranty issues? Do they just sell them and not let the customer's know that "oh by the way the company is out of business"?

I wonder about these things. Not to mention those that are waiting for orders to be filled etc.?

Hmmm.
Old 03-22-2015, 12:13 PM   #42

While I do feel bad for the employee, does anyone know if the service department will remain open. I'm scheduled for some major warranty work to be done on my slide-outs in August.