Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-29-2012, 03:18 PM   #1

Age old debate - Which toilet paper?!

As a fulltimer for the past 6 years (with a minor 2 year break in the middle), I've always used Scott's single ply paper and forgone the paper dubbed as RV paper because 1. I'm cheap and 2. Often times it's hard to find if you're not near a camping supply center or Walmart. Keep in mind I always use black tank chemicals. As I'm sitting here doing work, I decided to take a break and Google "Single ply toilet paper vs RV toilet paper." I came across this interesting blog:

Toilet Tissue Issue
Dear Joe and Vicki: What kind of toilet paper should we use in our RV?

Joe: When we were RVing novices we never gave a thought to the toilet tissue issue. Then we heard someone say they disposed of their used toilet paper in a plastic trash bag rather than flush it down their RV's commode. Seems they were concerned the toilet paper would clog their holding tank. I haven't gone dumpster diving in a campground ever since.

When campfire conversation gets around to toilet paper (as it occasionally does), someone is bound to mention the "toilet paper test". You re not considered a "real" RVer until you have conducted , or at least witnessed, a toilet paper test. The test is conducted by placing a couple of squares of toilet paper in a container of water to see how long it takes for them to dissolve. Generally, two or more brands or types of toilet tissue are placed in separate containers and submitted to the same treatment at the same time. One of the brands in the comparison test is usually one that is advertised as "RV safe" and has been purchased at an RV accessory store. A lot of "RV safe" toilet paper gets sold just for comparison test purposes.

There are no scientific controls or guidelines for conducting the toilet tissue test. You just put the squares in a container of water and see how long it takes them to dissolve, if ever.

Some folks will try to simulate actual RVing conditions. They put the toilet tissue in secure containers and shake them for a minute or so. These folks apparently drive over a lot of rough roads (I-10 across Louisiana, for example). Others will just let the containers sit for a given amount of time. Their RVs, I suppose, have a tendency not to go anywhere. Our RV lifestyle keeps us on the go. We placed our test containers on the shower floor of our RV and drove from one campground to another. That was as close as I wanted to come to simulating actual holding tank conditions.

The results of our toilet tissue tests (yes, we've done more than one) indicated that the relatively inexpensive toilet tissue we normally use dissolves just as quickly as the one advertised as "RV safe". So, you can imagine our joy when, some time ago, Scott Toilet Tissue (our single-ply tissue of choice) not only advertised itself as acceptable for RV use but put money-saving coupons in the RV magazines. Now, we take a lot of RV magazines and Vicki is an avid coupon clipper; it didn't take long before our supply of toilet tissue far exceeded the demand.

We have never had a problem with toilet paper (or anything else) clogging the outlet of our RV's holding tank. After flushing the toilet our habit is to fill the bowl with water and flush again. The valve of our black-water holding tank remains closed until the tank is at least half full. After dumping the black-water holding tank and closing the valve, we add a few gallons of water to the tank. My guess is that all that liquid combined with the agitation of our frequent travels has a tendency to liquify the contents of our holding tank and prevent clogs from occurring. Or maybe we have just been lucky.

In any case, we will continue to flush our toilet tissue down the commode and if the "right" toilet paper is not available, we'll use whatever is handy. But that's us.

How you handle the toilet tissue issue in your RV is a judgment call. And if you choose to dispose of your used toilet paper in the campground dumpster – well, I don't want to go there.

Vicki: Please notice that I did not contribute one word to this answer.

Here's the link: Joe and Vicki's Blog: Toilet Tissue Issue

Let the debate begin!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-29-2012, 03:39 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Kirkland brand for Costco for years with no troubles. Before that it was anything we had in the house, again, no troubles
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 03:57 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
sort of a no brainer now days as almost all tp is septic safe. which means it breaks down into small pieces pretty quick

we have lived in houses with septic systems for over 20 years and always used charmin or northern....depending on the price at the time it was also used in the rv's never had any issues with the holding tanks or stoppages?

our home base has a 250 gallon holding tank with a maceration lift pump that pumps into a 2" high pressure sewer line
its pretty close to the same setup in a rv. has worked just fine for 10 years

think of it like all other makers of goods, they want you to use their brand of parts/stuff, sure its making them a profit on something that was re branded for them
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 03:58 PM   #4

Good to hear about Scott, as I have always used the cheap Scott one ply both at home and in the RV. Never have had a minute's prob with it clogging the black tank.
JadedDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 07:49 PM   #5

Excel Owners Club
After 7 years of FTing......we have used Scotts Extra Soft single ply. I've found many TPs that work fine, as long as you use lots of water on the flush. Not rocket science. Scotts has lots of coupons on the website (and Sunday paper) and if you do it right, it's actually cheaper than the Sam's club and Costco zillion roll pack which we can't find room for in the rig. Keep it simple use what brand you like....watch for coupons and use lots of water on the flush.

Some of our friends don't put paper in the tank and I have done this as a test and it really makes the black tank go a day or two longer......but not worth the hassle of emptying the trash can every few hours.....know what I mean? rockin'
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 08:06 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I use Scotts Rapid Dissolving TP. Works great for my needs.

Here is a pick of what Chuck Norris uses, not sure it is good for the black tank though:

2003 Winne Adventurer, Ford F53 V-10. Toad:1992 S-10, Road Master Falcon 2 Tow bar, Blue Ox Patriot brake system and Protect-a-Tow. Right is right even if no one is doing it; Wrong is wrong even if everyone is doing it--St Augustine of Hippo. Navy (ret).
navychaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 08:15 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by navychaps View Post

Here is a pick of what Chuck Norris uses, not sure it is good for the black tank though:

I've been looking for coupons for this brand, but no avail, thus I guess I will have to simply settle for Scott's. Dang!
Old 01-29-2012, 08:15 PM   #8

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by navychaps View Post

Now we know why Chuck was so tough!!
Still Working "NOT" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 08:16 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockintom View Post
Some of our friends don't put paper in the tank and I have done this as a test and it really makes the black tank go a day or two longer......but not worth the hassle of emptying the trash can every few hours.....know what I mean? rockin'
I'm not European and therefore will always flush my TP. Waste basket method is too stinky for me.
Old 01-29-2012, 08:32 PM   #10

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by timbuktu78 View Post
I'm not European and therefore will always flush my TP. Waste basket method is too stinky for me.
You gots that right!!! And we are pretty conscientiousnessabout the environment around here, but......we ain't recycling used TP!! There is a line you have to draw!!!! rockin'
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 08:32 PM   #11

Just as politics and religion are taboo conversations I've determined that the following should be taboo for RV folks:
  • What oil to use.
  • Drinking from the holding tank.
  • Proper air pressure.
  • Brand of tires.
  • MPPT vs. PWM
  • Toilet Paper.

Any of those topic starters will bring about some very strong opinions. Worse if around a camp fire with adult beverages.

BigV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 11:43 PM   #12

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV View Post
Just as politics and religion are taboo conversations I've determined that the following should be taboo for RV folks:
  • What oil to use.
  • Drinking from the holding tank.
  • Proper air pressure.
  • Brand of tires.
  • MPPT vs. PWM
  • Toilet Paper.

Any of those topic starters will bring about some very strong opinions. Worse if around a camp fire with adult beverages.

Don't forget these two also:
  • Ford vs Chev vs Dodge trucks
  • Miles per gallon.
And the worst:
  • Fifth wheel vs motor home
Bruce and Jenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 03:24 AM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
A White Paper on Toilet Paper?

I can go gently into that good night now---I've seen it all.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 04:23 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
There are way TOO many threads on this issue on the Internet already. All you have to do is Google them and read.

For information purposes, I use Member's Mark Sam's Club TP. Plenty of layers and soft for the derriere.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote