Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-11-2013, 04:35 PM   #1
JDT

Air Bag Suspension

I know this is not necessarily Excel related but I tend to trust the answers I get here more than I would elsewhere.

We are camped at a local lake this week and a guy parked next to me with a new Redwood was raving about his Air Lift suspension and how they helped smooth out the ride while towing. We do have a Glide Ride pin box and I have a set of Tembrin rubber suspension springs on the truck but they are not adjustable. There are times I think the ride could be better on rough roads. We do get some jerking on occasion when the going gets rough. For the most part it is pretty smooth and the bumps have to be a pretty good ones to give us a jolt. We got a lot of help in this area when I changed the shocks on the Winslow to Monroe's and maybe it doesn't get any better. Wondering if any of you Excel folks have any experience with the Air Lift, Firestone Ride Rites or similar products.
JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-11-2013, 06:21 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDT View Post
I know this is not necessarily Excel related but I tend to trust the answers I get here more than I would elsewhere.

Wondering if any of you Excel folks have any experience with the Air Lift, Firestone Ride Rites or similar products.
When I had my Excel, 33RLE, I installed a set of Firestones when I bought the F350 DRW. Didn't need them for the extra capacity but to level the truck. With a #3050 pin...it dropped the rear down to where it made the truck 'look' high in the front. With a level on the bed rails it was level by the 'bubble'.

I would add 40# to the bags to give the 'no trailer' look and drop the air down to 10# when I was back from a trip. I didn't notice much difference in ride with the bags @ 40# with the trailer. Without the trailer it was a rather harsher ride.

I did notice with the bags on the F350 that I didn't have the wheel hop when starting from a stop as other on the ford forum referred to at times.

With the Alpenlite, I might run 15-20# if I run anything above the minimum.
Old 06-11-2013, 07:30 PM   #3

Excel Owners Club
Air ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDT View Post

We are camped at a local lake this week and a guy parked next to me with a new Redwood was raving about his Air Lift suspension and how they helped smooth out the ride while towing. We do have a Glide Ride pin box and I have a set of Tembrin rubber suspension springs on the truck but they are not adjustable. There are times I think the ride could be better on rough roads. We do get some jerking on occasion when the going gets rough. For the most part it is pretty smooth and the bumps have to be a pretty good ones to give us a jolt. We got a lot of help in this area when I changed the shocks on the Winslow to Monroe's and maybe it doesn't get any better. Wondering if any of you Excel folks have any experience with the Air Lift, Firestone Ride Rites or similar products.

Jim, I run Dexter AirFlex 8000 lb axles and have had them on my 2005 and now on my 2008 Excel after May 2010 they changed them to Airflex on the torflex system after that date. The Airflex have 4 firestone airbags and the amount of air in the bags is controled by a scissor joint on one axle and adds air( from a onboard pump in the trailer) based on the weight of the trailer. I put gauges in for the air tank and air bags in and the tank keeps about 100 psi and the bags around 85 lbs( just like tractor trailers) The trailer ride is very nice. When you get to a Campground you can flip the pump switch off and open the dump valve switch and lower the trailer by 3 inches and you don't get the bounce like on springs. I also run a Easy Rider 20K air hitch in the truck with 4 firestone air bags and run about 30 lbs in them. The bumps in the road are almost nonexistant. When you hit the bumps with the truck the trailer doesn't transmit them back to the truck. I was at the redwood factory last fall and if I remember they were not a air ride but Falcon Brand Suspension which is like a torflex between the springs like More Ride. Was this on his pickup?and yes that would help with the ride.

Dick.
Rsteabag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 07:48 PM   #4

Excel Owners Club
OMG.....that is so weird.....I read this post and thought......I bet the "teabag" will chime in here. Dick goes by teabag......cause het drinks tea like I do wine....but his name should be "airbag" cause he is the king of anything to do with air suspension or anything....he's the guy. I once got to sit in on one of his lectures....and again I still think he should be "airbag". End of raving about Dick! rockin' babbling on....
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 09:40 PM   #5
JDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsteabag View Post
Jim, I run Dexter AirFlex 8000 lb axles and have had them on my 2005 and now on my 2008 Excel after May 2010 they changed them to Airflex on the torflex system after that date. The Airflex have 4 firestone airbags and the amount of air in the bags is controled by a scissor joint on one axle and adds air( from a onboard pump in the trailer) based on the weight of the trailer. I put gauges in for the air tank and air bags in and the tank keeps about 100 psi and the bags around 85 lbs( just like tractor trailers) The trailer ride is very nice. When you get to a Campground you can flip the pump switch off and open the dump valve switch and lower the trailer by 3 inches and you don't get the bounce like on springs. I also run a Easy Rider 20K air hitch in the truck with 4 firestone air bags and run about 30 lbs in them. The bumps in the road are almost nonexistant. When you hit the bumps with the truck the trailer doesn't transmit them back to the truck. I was at the redwood factory last fall and if I remember they were not a air ride but Falcon Brand Suspension which is like a torflex between the springs like More Ride. Was this on his pickup?and yes that would help with the ride.

Dick.
Yes, the air bags were on his truck and that is what I was thinking. I did not even know you could put them on a fifth wheel. Very interesting and thanks for the info. I'm just thinking about a couple for the rear axle.
Old 06-12-2013, 11:23 AM   #6

Excel Owners Club
Jim,
I have a TrailerSaver air hitch with a Glide Ride pin box and the ride is very smooth. I also have the E-Z Flex and monroes on the trailer....nothing moves around when travelling. The truck also has air suspension/cab/seats.....air is the way to go.

RickS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 11:56 AM   #7

Official iRV2 Sponsor

If you need help finding an Air Lift kit for your application, I'd me more than happy to help. Thanks!
AirLift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 02:14 PM   #8
JDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirLift View Post
If you need help finding an Air Lift kit for your application, I'd me more than happy to help. Thanks!
Already called and already ordered the 5000 and WirelessOne inflator. Got the regular kit, not the Ultimate. I forgot to ask but I do have a B&W Companion hitch which has side plates mounted to both sides of the frame. I saw in the instruction manual that there is a way to mount the bags working around the plates. Certainly hope that is the case with the B&W.
Old 06-20-2013, 09:44 AM   #9
JDT

Got the bags on yesterday and what a difference it makes in the way it rides empty. Prior to installing the bags if I didn't lower the rear tires to 60 psi it would jar your teeth on some roads. I guess the Timbrin's just didn't have enough give like the bags with 5 psi in them do. The real test will come Monday when we go to Branson with the Winslow in tow. Anyone have any idea where I should start pressure wise? I'm thinking I'll start with 40.

It did take me most of the day instead of the 1.5 hour estimate shown in the manual. I had issues with getting the upper mounting bracket on the driver's side to fit because of the space taken up by my 57 gallon Titan replacement tank. Had to do some engineering with my saws all and trim a little off the bracket. Also had a hard time finding a place for the on board compressor and wound up fabricating a bracket.
Old 06-20-2013, 02:22 PM   #10

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I fill mine until I see the truck just barely move. For me thats about 30lbs. I air them up after the 5er is hitched up. Each vehicle combination will use differant pressures to achieve what you want. I just want some bounce and body roll stability and my Firestones work great.
chief02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 02:35 PM   #11
JDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by chief02 View Post
I fill mine until I see the truck just barely move. For me thats about 30lbs. I air them up after the 5er is hitched up. Each vehicle combination will use differant pressures to achieve what you want. I just want some bounce and body roll stability and my Firestones work great.

Do you have an on board compressor? I mounted mine under the bed of the truck but I am worried about road grime and water. Airlift said they prefer to have them outside because of the heat that can build up inside the truck on hot, sunny days so that is what I did. Guess I'll have to watch it.
Old 06-20-2013, 02:45 PM   #12

Excel Owners Club
No compressor
Old 06-20-2013, 03:45 PM   #13

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by chief02 View Post
No compressor
Good Lord Jim, Chief sure doesn't need any help in the "hot air" dept!! Sorry.....I couldn't resist!

He don't need no stinkin' compressor!!!
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 09:08 AM   #14

Excel Owners Club
22 years in the firehouse one does accumulate some "hot air"

Tags
suspension