Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-04-2009, 06:45 PM   #1

Excel Owners Club
Air Bubble When Toilet is Flushed..Help!

recently when wife has flushed toilet an air bubble has caused the water to jump up. antone else experienced this and if so solution?? Thanks. B

09 LTKE 36
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-04-2009, 06:50 PM   #2
KIX

Your black tank vent is plugged. Don't blame wife......it will happen to you too.
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 10:32 PM   #3

Excel Owners Club
Mine burps sometimes, seldom, but often enough.

Ticks me off!

Will a plugged vent cause that back pressure just once in a while?
Bruce and Jenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 02:46 PM   #4

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewer & Nancy View Post
recently when wife has flushed toilet an air bubble has caused the water to jump up. antone else experienced this and if so solution?? Thanks. B

09 LTKE 36
B&N,

There are 2 main reasons for "burping back" when flushing. One and the most common is when the black tank is quite full. By now you have probably heard the difference in the sound of the flush as it get near full. Time to dump!!! If you wait longer than the vent line is covered with the water and when you flush it can't allow the air to escape and thus you get the "burp back". When you allow it get that full, you run the chance of getting T.P. up the vent line causing a more permanent issue.
Secondly, if you have burping most of the time regardless of water level, you probably have "piling" at the bottom of the black tank where the drain enters the tank. Time for a "swizzle stick" cleaning to repair this issue. To prevent this, use less paper, and use more water to "distribute" the poo and paper throughout the floor of the tank. I use the 6 second rule. When flushing poo count to six with the pedal pushed down. If only pee with paper 3 seconds should do it. Pee only, just enough to wash it down.

I know TMI. Hope it helps! SKIA!!!!
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 06:45 AM   #5

Excel Owners Club
Below is an exhaustive (and exhausting) article on black water burping which I found helpful in my early days. IF you decide that your vent stack is actually clogged, run a hose pipe down it from the top into an empty tank.

I've given the author credit at the bottom..........

My tank burps, does your's?
© Derek Gore / RV Roadie 2001

(John..I cannot allow the post to stand due to "copyright issues" - but I can add the link if you email it to me) MM
Old 08-11-2009, 06:58 AM   #6

Agree with a lot of what Rockin' said. To get the flushed fluids to go into the tank...air either has to escape through the vent stack or out the toilet when flushed. Have you noticed a difference when the tank is empty as compared to half full-full. This situation is noticed in the toilet, rather than a sink, because of the volume of waste water being released at once. If this continues to be a problem...might try pressing the pedel lightly to equalize the pressure slowly rather than all at once.
Old 08-11-2009, 02:48 PM   #7

Rockin' & others, when starting with an empty black tank, we've added the chemicals and ran the water long enough for it to register "low" on the black tank monitor. Is that enough water to really cover the bottom of the tank, too much, etc? David
Old 08-11-2009, 04:12 PM   #8

Excel Owners Club
[quote
(John..I cannot allow the post to stand due to "copyright issues" - but I can add the link if you email it to me) MM[/quote]

I copied it out of the middle of an Escapees Forum discussion. I don't want to spend the time to go look it up again. Go to rvnetwork.com and search on "black water burp".
Old 08-11-2009, 07:47 PM   #9

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by davydee View Post
Rockin' & others, when starting with an empty black tank, we've added the chemicals and ran the water long enough for it to register "low" on the black tank monitor. Is that enough water to really cover the bottom of the tank, too much, etc? David
Davydee,

Running it to when the low light comes on is way too much water. That first level sensor the tank is about 1/4 full. Doesn't hurt a thing except you don't need near that much to cover the bottom of the tank to prevent piling, etc.

For me, from an complete empty tank, I will run the flusher for 30 seconds on the average volume water flow faucet, longer for weaker flow, shorter for very strong flow (20 seconds). You be the judge. We were staying in a fairground that had 28 psi and the flow rate of an 80 year old man and I ran the fluser for almost a minute. All of these scenrios are way before you get the low light on, which is overkill. Hope that helps.

PS - If you wanna get anal on finding out exactly how much water a faucet flows, get a bucket and run the faucet at full blast for 10 seconds (don't want or need to waste more water!) Measure how much water is in the bucket and then mulitply by 6. That number equates to a GPM or gallon per minute. Average outdoor faucet is anywhere from 4 to 7 GPM. rockin'
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
Old 08-12-2009, 08:10 AM   #10

Excel Owners Club
Poop Sheets

Here's a copy of the Poop Sheets by phred (please go to the link for the information)

Think about it.

Purging a sewage system of contaminants is complicated and expensive. That cost is going to be passed on to the RVer. It's a necessity and it doesn't necessarily mean the RV park operator is greedy. Operators of courtesy-type dump stations at rest areas and similar places have solved the problem the easy way -- they're closing many of them.

Most of the problems RVers face can be blamed on the manufacturers. This one can't. The enemy is us.

(Guys..it is okay to put the link in- but please do not copy the articles)
BookIIRoadtrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 03:13 PM   #11

Thanks, Rockin'!!!
Old 08-12-2009, 06:31 PM   #12

Dave here is two photos of the waste tank. One shows the tank removed and no sending units installed. Included it to give a better view of the tank and the spacing of the sensors in relation to the top/bottom of tank. Rockin' sent me the photo some time ago, as I like photos.

The second photo is my tank installed and location of everything. As you might notice....when the full lite comes on, yellow wire....there is still some room so the DW can take her shower.

Old 08-12-2009, 09:12 PM   #13

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workshop View Post
As you might notice....when the full lite comes on, yellow wire....there is still some room so the DW can take her "navy" shower.

Don't you remember my lecture about letting the tanks getting too full???!!!!
Old 08-12-2009, 09:29 PM   #14

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockintom View Post
Don't you remember my lecture about letting the tanks getting too full???!!!!
Cool your jets Daddy-o You'll blow a gasket

Good pictures and great info from the rest of you.
Still Working "NOT" is offline   Reply With Quote