Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-27-2012, 01:10 PM   #1

Excel Owners Club
Annual A/C Service for Late Model Excels LTD

Well it's been a year since we got into our Charm, so the service on the A/C is due. It finally quit raining here in Portland long enough to climb on the roof and do it. As you may recall, I've been going on and on about how much better this A/C unit works than our first Excel (both cooling performance and air volume on the inside vents). Our new one has the standard low profile Polar Mach (15,000 BTU). Upon pulling the cover I notice the monster condenser that wraps half way around the A/C unit!!! Thank you Polar Mach!

The main purpose of the service is to remove the debris that has collected on the condenser. I simply use the central vac in the rig and run it on the roof with the brush attachment. If the condenser was really clogged or heavy coated this probably wouldn't be enough and other cleaning methods would be necessary. With ours there was hardly any stuff on it as we haven't been anywhere where there was alot of trees, etc. I also inspect for loose screws and the like in general. My condenser had some bent fins on the condeser that I simply and carefully straightened. This issue more than like was done on assembly at the plant. No big deal. They make a tool to straighten cooling fins but I don't have one. The evaporator is not as easy to access as my old Coleman Mach, so I didn't fool with it. Chances are it is as clean as my condenser as we've not run the A/C more than about 10 times since we owned it. Care should be taken when reinstalling the cover back on as it would easy to bend the cooling fins on the condenser if you were sloppy or get in a hurry. This unit has nine drain holes for condensation draining on the roof. Also when reinstalling the cover make sure you have the front clips on the A/C base installed under the front cover. You don't want the front of the cover flapping in the breeze going down the road! The Polar Mach doesn't use a "chill grill" on the inside of the rig. Instead it uses a plenum in the roof and 2 intake vents with filters. I cleaned the filter with hot spray water from the kitchen faucet.

Wanted to do this post to help someone else when doing this little 30 minute procedure.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Charm AC Filters 001 (Copy).JPG
Views:	70
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	21585   Click image for larger version

Name:	Charm AC Filters 002 (Copy).JPG
Views:	81
Size:	134.2 KB
ID:	21586  

Name:	Charm AC Filters 003 (Copy).JPG
Views:	82
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	21587   Click image for larger version

Name:	Charm AC Polar Mach 003 (Copy).JPG
Views:	68
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	21588  

Name:	Charm AC Polar Mach 006 (Copy).JPG
Views:	64
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	21589   Click image for larger version

Name:	Charm AC Polar Mach 007 (Copy).JPG
Views:	67
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	21590  

Name:	Charm AC Polar Mach 012 (Copy).JPG
Views:	75
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	21591   Click image for larger version

Name:	Charm AC Polar Mach 015 (Copy).JPG
Views:	66
Size:	119.5 KB
ID:	21592  

Name:	Charm AC Polar Mach 018 (Copy).JPG
Views:	74
Size:	103.7 KB
ID:	21593   Click image for larger version

Name:	Charm AC Polar Mach 022 (Copy).JPG
Views:	65
Size:	117.1 KB
ID:	21594  

2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-27-2012, 01:15 PM   #2

Excel Owners Club
Just a Few More Pix of A/C

More pix of A/C. rockin'
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Charm AC Polar Mach 024 (Copy).JPG
Views:	79
Size:	157.3 KB
ID:	21595   Click image for larger version

Name:	Charm AC Polar Mach 030 (Copy).JPG
Views:	80
Size:	183.7 KB
ID:	21596  

Name:	Charm AC Polar Mach 032 (Copy).JPG
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	21597   Click image for larger version

Name:	Charm AC Polar Mach 033 (Copy).JPG
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	21598  

Name:	Charm AC Polar Mach 034 (Copy).JPG
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	21599   Click image for larger version

Name:	Charm AC Polar Mach 026 (Copy).JPG
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	21600  

2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
Old 05-27-2012, 07:52 PM   #3

Excel Owners Club
Rockintom,

Thanks for the great info. I am about to do the AC on my Winslow. I really appreciate the photos.

Bill Dunlap
Mammoth Lakes, CA
BDunlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 08:10 PM   #4

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDunlap View Post
Rockintom,

Thanks for the great info. I am about to do the AC on my Winslow. I really appreciate the photos.

Bill Dunlap
Mammoth Lakes, CA
You bet Bill. I don't believe they use the Polar Mach on the Winslow, but much of the service elements are virtually the same. I think I posted a thread on the Coleman Mach model service on my old rig a few years back....I'll look for it. rockin'
Old 05-27-2012, 08:26 PM   #5

Man, I'm thinking I need to re-read the manual on required maintenance. I had no idea I needed to do this! Thanks Tom!

Speaking of maintenance, After my trip to SC, the tech gave me some tips on inspecting the caulking outside. By spraying rubbing alcohol from a spray can on the caulking and wiping off with a clean rag, the caulking will look brand new and will make it easy to detect any problem areas. Using a box cutter, putty knife, and a good caulking gun, simply remove bad section and re-caulk. Such a simple thing can save a lot of headache down the road. He recommended doing this every six months. Yet another thing I never did :-/.
Old 05-27-2012, 08:54 PM   #6

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEAMTJ View Post
Man, I'm thinking I need to re-read the manual on required maintenance. I had no idea I needed to do this! Thanks Tom!

Speaking of maintenance, After my trip to SC, the tech gave me some tips on inspecting the caulking outside. By spraying rubbing alcohol from a spray can on the caulking and wiping off with a clean rag, the caulking will look brand new and will make it easy to detect any problem areas. Using a box cutter, putty knife, and a good caulking gun, simply remove bad section and re-caulk. Such a simple thing can save a lot of headache down the road. He recommended doing this every six months. Yet another thing I never did :-/.
Yup....been doing it for several years.....by the time you get agedly like me....you'll be able to say that!!!

My problem is that spraying the alcohol makes me think of my glass of wine....and only get a little chaulking done and it's time for a glass....know what I mean? rockybaby
Old 05-27-2012, 09:35 PM   #7

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockintom View Post
You bet Bill. I don't believe they use the Polar Mach on the Winslow, but much of the service elements are virtually the same. I think I posted a thread on the Coleman Mach model service on my old rig a few years back....I'll look for it. rockin'
I couldn't find my old Excel A/C service thread....so here's some pix I found. Also notice the thru-bolts that hold the A/C unit in the rig. One is backed out. This is one reason for the annual. This gone uncheck would have leaked in water at some point. Those thru bolts should only be snugged, don't overtighten. Also see the rust on the roof by drain. I think Coleman has taken care of that problem with a change of material of the base of the AC. Condenser is flat unlike the new Polar Mach which has alot more area. More efficient. Enough for now.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	AC Cover (800x600).jpg
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	21617   Click image for larger version

Name:	Chill grill before removal (800x600).jpg
Size:	100.2 KB
ID:	21618  

Name:	Condenser exposed (800x600).jpg
Views:	71
Size:	137.1 KB
ID:	21619   Click image for larger version

Name:	General AC exposed (800x600).jpg
Views:	73
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	21620  

Name:	Inside module under chill grill (800x600).jpg
Views:	91
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	21621   Click image for larger version

Name:	Loose bolt inside (800x600).jpg
Views:	78
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	21622  

Name:	Side of AC (800x600).jpg
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	21623   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vacuuming condensor (800x600).jpg
Size:	167.9 KB
ID:	21624  

Old 05-28-2012, 07:48 PM   #8

Excel Owners Club
Rockintom,

Thanks for the update on the AC service photos. I should be doing mine in the next few days.

Bill Dunlap
Mammoth Lakes, CA
BDunlap is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
service