Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-26-2008, 05:26 PM   #1

Excel Owners Club
Am I the only one with broken glass doors for the stereo cabinet?

Soon after starting to tow, the door fell out of the hinge and cracked. I figured that Bryan didn't tighten it properly.

PI sent me another. Today it also fell out of the hinge and cracked. I guess one should ck the pressure screws regularly, so vibration doesn't tighten or loosen them. Ummmm...nope.

Am I the only one with this problem? If not, what have others substituted for the glass? I don't use the remote control enough to put up with this.

DW wants a print in plexiglass. I suggested using a picture of the truck. (It's a dually!)

I recall posting about this the first time, but couldn't locate with the Find command. I said then that this is a weak point. Hah!
Bruce and Jenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2008, 05:26 PM   #2

Excel Owners Club
Am I the only one with broken glass doors for the stereo cabinet?

Soon after starting to tow, the door fell out of the hinge and cracked. I figured that Bryan didn't tighten it properly.

PI sent me another. Today it also fell out of the hinge and cracked. I guess one should ck the pressure screws regularly, so vibration doesn't tighten or loosen them. Ummmm...nope.

Am I the only one with this problem? If not, what have others substituted for the glass? I don't use the remote control enough to put up with this.

DW wants a print in plexiglass. I suggested using a picture of the truck. (It's a dually!)

I recall posting about this the first time, but couldn't locate with the Find command. I said then that this is a weak point. Hah!
Bruce and Jenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 01:47 AM   #3

Excel Owners Club
Of course you could have different hardware but we have a glass door below out TV that covers the satellite box, the DVD and the distribution box and in roughly 20,000 miles, we have no issue.
Old 04-27-2008, 02:13 AM   #4

Excel Owners Club
Bruce,

I broke mine, but it was my fault. I was sitting at my computer desk and the glass door was open. From my chair (sitting), I gave it a shove to close it and apparently it was too hard, when it hit the magnet, the glass broke in-two when it hit the magnet. I installed a new one from PI and have had no problems. I just checked the tension on the screws at the hinges and all is good. Tom
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 02:22 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Bruce,
We broke ours during the first year and have not had a problem since. I check the hinges frequently for loose screws also.
Old 04-27-2008, 02:33 AM   #6

Excel Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I check the hinges frequently for loose screws also </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Do I go towards the "loose screw" or do I take this toward "I had no idea you and Tom were so alike"?
Old 04-27-2008, 02:57 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Virg,
I think I hear Jo calling you? Something about the black tank is overflowing again!?
Old 04-27-2008, 03:16 AM   #8

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ChiefJohn:
I check the hinges frequently for loose screws also. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I use a dab of silicone adhesive on the threads of most all loose screws before I retighten and have not had to ever touch those ones again. Holds em tight

2007 Excel, 30RSO, Demco Glide Ride, B&W Companion.
Max1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 03:17 AM   #9

Excel Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ChiefJohn:
Virg,
I think I hear Jo calling you? Something about the black tank is overflowing again!? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh my goodness! Can't believe Virg is making comments like that... word is he's gonna TRY another black tank service today....maybe oughta try a church service first!

BTW Chief...how did you break yours????...inquiring minds whats to know!
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 03:20 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks Paul -- another great 'tip' for my Excel Notebook. "Why didn't I think of that?"
Old 04-27-2008, 03:27 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Tom,
Our posts crossed -- during our pre-delivery, I mentioned to the service tech that the door was hanging crooked. Well he replaced the "damaged" pad between the metal hinge plate and the glass with a piece of black vinyl. This material was too thin and had a slick surface. The door dropped down and damaged the computer/entertainment center desk. PI took care of the repairs.
Old 04-27-2008, 03:35 AM   #12

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rockintom:
... word is he's gonna TRY another black tank service today....maybe oughta try a church service first! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You guys are really on top of your game this morning and Virgil trust me I am laughing with you not at you. What a great way to start the day a good chuckle though I think I will for go any black tank maintaining today thank you!!

2007 Excel, 30RSO, Demco Glide Ride, B&W Companion.
Max1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 04:14 AM   #13

Excel Owners Club
I had mine break last summer. I believe what happened with it is that it swung open when traveling and broke when the glass suddenly got to the end of the swing. I went to a local glass shop and got some smoked glass of the right size to replace it. The replacement glass is not the same tint as the original. But, I don't think you would ever notice since it is the only piece of tinted glass in the trailer.

2005 35MKO
Curtis Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 02:33 PM   #14

Excel Owners Club
You think you have problems. we are on our 1st trip w/ our new 33TKE and before we left the driveway, one of the landing gear latches came off in my hand. So I ran to CW to get a replacement. We were late leaving so instead of stopping at a nearby store, putting the slides out and turning on the fridge, we put things in a cooler and took off. We stopped in Illinois to take care of the usual rest area business and I put the slides out to get to the fridge. Until I heard a loud pop and ran the slide back in. One of the drawers in the entertainment ctr had come open in transit and all but ripped it out splintering the wood frame in the process. We are now in Waco,TX and I once again went to slide out the slides and this time the computer keyboard drawer was out and was destroyed. You might ask: Why don't you check before you operate slides? Well, you can't see the entertainment ctr until the slides are out. And I almost forgot about the bottom of the small cabinet in the bathroom falling off on the floor. It was held on by a few brads which anybody that does woodworking knows they are for holding trim in place while glue dries. I fully expect the wheels to fall off at any moment. My hats off to anyone that "fulltimes". I'd have to be in a constant state of drunkiness to deal w/ this. The good news is "no water leaks"........yet

2008 Excel E33TKE,'08 K3500 DRW, B&W Hitch
evan0810 is offline   Reply With Quote