Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-18-2011, 05:36 PM   #1

Excel Owners Club
Another Excel Atwood WH Issue

While doing my monthy maintenance checks like running water pump, propane WH run, fresh water duties, etc. I noticed when I switched the propane switch on, I didn't hear the usual "pop" on flame up. In fact I didn't hear any noise. I knew the water was cool enough for the WH to light. I stepped outside to check it out and smelled raw fuel. As I approached the WH I noticed the smoke coming out of the top of the sidecover. Looked in the sight hole and saw the lazy yellow flame. Shut it off and went in to try the stove with all 3 burners on high and all was well there. What the heck? I have the insect guard on the cover to keep them from building nests and the cover fit nicely when closed. I pulled the burner element off and check for nests, etc. No problem. Checked the orifice with a flashlight and saw nothing. Ended taking the orifice assy. off and saw nothing. Put it back together and have the prettiest blue flame you ever saw!!! Go figure.

My good friend Loralie says it so well (read her blog in her sig). She refers to it as "RV Randomness". No real good cause for something to go wrong....it just does! Then you have a hard time duplicating it again...... Ain't life grand?

Sorry for not getting a pic of the lazy yellow flame, but you can see the results of the smoke....it only ran like 2 minutes like that. At first I thought still may be playing a joke on me......but then realized he ain't that smart!!!

Anyone have this happen to them??? What did you find? It's no wonder the wine makers have made so much money off me!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1776 (Copy).JPG
Views:	80
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	14900   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1777 (Copy).JPG
Views:	72
Size:	119.9 KB
ID:	14901  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1780 (Copy).JPG
Views:	77
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	14902   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1779 (Copy).JPG
Views:	67
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	14903  

2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-18-2011, 07:12 PM   #2

Excel Owners Club
How much OP "evaporated" during the event? (Fact finding)

Jim
Jim & Bona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 07:21 PM   #3

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim & Bona View Post
How much OP "evaporated" during the event? (Fact finding)

Jim
Jimbo,

I never drink OP while I'm "working" on my highly technical explorations. I use it only for relaxing and/or medicinal purposes. Quit laughin'!! I could have blamed it on "RV Randomness"!!! rockinpoop
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
Old 10-18-2011, 09:47 PM   #4

Excel Owners Club
"At first I thought still may be playing a joke on me......but then realized he ain't that smart!!! "

I told you I was going to do the sneak attack. Hate to hear it failed.

On the serious side. When was the last time you used the propane to heat your water heater and was it the same bottle? I think you may have had a incorrect mixture of propane and air. Since this is a new unit and not knowing how much propane you have used there may have been more air in the feeder line, which would cause the yellow flame with all of the smoke. This is a different way of the problem that I had with my stove that you gave the suggestion on how to fix. Once the air mixture is correct problem solved.
Still Working "NOT" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 09:54 PM   #5

Excel Owners Club
Thanks for the info still....but I've been through several tanks (both) of propane and have run the propane WH several (maybe 10 times) with out issue. This was a first...and I had the stove running a nice flame at the same time.

BTW....did you get your front stove burner fixed? rockin'

P.S. This is kinda hard being serious....makes me nervous!! Better get something for my "nerves"!!
Old 10-18-2011, 10:33 PM   #6

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockintom View Post
Thanks for the info still....but I've been through several tanks (both) of propane and have run the propane WH several (maybe 10 times) with out issue. This was a first...and I had the stove running a nice flame at the same time.

BTW....did you get your front stove burner fixed? rockin'

P.S. This is kinda hard being serious....makes me nervous!! Better get something for my "nerves"!!
Have not got it fixed. Been busy and have not used the stoved since you looked at it. Who knows what you may have done to it with your expertise is missing up a simple projects.
Still Working "NOT" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 03:03 PM   #7

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Tom,
Was it windy when this happened? I'm thinking downdraft own the vent upsetting combustion?
chief02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 08:11 PM   #8

Excel Owners Club
Tom, I told you to hold your breath when you work on a gas water heater.
Old 10-21-2011, 10:19 PM   #9

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by chief02 View Post
Tom,
Was it windy when this happened? I'm thinking downdraft own the vent upsetting combustion?
No wind on that day......my experience is that it takes alot of wind to disturb the flame on the WH. rockin'
Old 10-22-2011, 11:47 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MakinSmoke
Tom, I told you to hold your breath when you work on a gas water heater.
Virg, remember methane gives that funny flame too. You know that he does sling a lot of BS, aka methane producer.
Endeavor2BnC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 03:11 PM   #11

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endeavor2BnC View Post
Virg, remember methane gives that funny flame too. You know that he does sling a lot of BS, aka methane producer.
Somehow I knew you'd get your two cents worth in....good to finally hear from you 99!!! rockin'
Old 10-22-2011, 07:00 PM   #12

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockintom View Post
Somehow I knew you'd get your two cents worth in....good to finally hear from you 99!!! rockin'
You rascal, you give 99 a reply and ignore me! You know how sensitive I am!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-22-2011, 07:54 PM   #13

Excel Owners Club
Sorry, VQA.....I sent you a reply but I spilt some OP on the key board and musta deleted it!!! I've gotta rubber cover over it now!!!
Old 11-01-2011, 09:38 AM   #14

Excel Owners Club
uh oh...now that "the elves of randomness" have found you, your life will never be the same!!! Just wait till the drops of water appear from no-where, or the ever so faint sounds appear!!!
Loralie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
atwood, excel