Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-04-2009, 05:45 AM   #1

Excel Owners Club
Sitting at a garage, waiting for new bushings to arrive from Mor-Ryde. Been here since Sunday night....to get an alignment done on Monday morning due to a weird wear pattern in the tires on one side. When they pulled out the bushings, found they were worn unevenly and causing too much play in tires. Alignment won't do any good without new bushings. Guys, here at shop, say this is about the 6th one to come in with same problem for Mor-Ryde although Mor-Ryde was all surprised when we called them and said they never have a problem with it. Before they would send free parts (as part of 5 year parts warranty) they required that we take rig to a scale and weigh each tire individually. That not being possible in this area, they settled for us weighing each axle and sending weights to them...to prove we weren't overweight. We were well below where we need to be.
Has anyone had this problem ? The shop manager here says this will be a reoccurring problem for us and not a fluke. I would guess we've got about 10,000 miles on the rig so not looking forward to this kind of repair bill each 10,000 mile interval. Shipped wrong bushings yesterday so hoping they sent the 8000# axle ones today so we can get out of here but wondering if some of you have encountered this. Thanks !
Lindaxtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-04-2009, 06:15 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
We have the MorRydes, but haven't had any problems with them in the almost 18,000 miles we've put on the fifth wheel.
Old 03-04-2009, 07:03 AM   #3

Lindaxtwo: I read your blog. After 19 years with springs, I'd strongly disagree with the advice you were given. We bounced our previous trailers so much that I swear it led to at least one leak in our roof & running light seals. We're new to this MorRyde/5th wheel business. Most forums I watch actually compare MorRyde to the TailAir suspension and both are considered significant improvements over springs.

Let us know how it all turns out. Like carrying a cam position sensor for our previous old Ford pickup, we may find it useful to have an extra set of bushings. Once you have them, they may never go out again!

Good luck! David
Old 03-04-2009, 08:50 AM   #4

Excel Owners Club
This may seem crazy, but when I'm working shows, I try to talk everyone I can OUT of the Mor-Ryde axles. I just tell them honestly that the way we build our frames with box tube -vs- I beam, and the way we pay attention to get the right suspension under each coach, you really don't need Mor-Ryde on an Excel.

I also explain that Peterson Industries makes an profit on every option we sell, and if they REALLY want Mor-Ryde, we're happy to install it, but in our opinion, you're better off to save your money and spend it on other cool options or a nice vacation.

Incidently, we have many more warranty issues with the Mor-Ryde than with our standard twin-I leaf spring suspension system.

Bryan
ExcelRVGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 09:24 AM   #5

Excel Owners Club
Bryan,
I think the guy here was very impressed when we came back from the scales and he saw we were at 13,000# of weight for our rig and was not over what the axles can handle. He said they see so many RV's come in way overweight and most companies are not building them to handle any type of carrying capacity from the git go and as soon as a new owner loads it with their stuff, water, etc. they are overloaded and the problems begin. I told him that Peterson took their engineering seriously and weights were a big concern to them and one of the things we liked. Not the norm from what they see here with broken suspensions. Kudos to Peterson Industries !
Old 03-04-2009, 09:27 AM   #6

So I should go ahead and buy the bushings? (It worked for that cam position sensor on our 7.3L diesel - never had one fail!)
Old 03-04-2009, 10:03 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally posted by ExcelRVGuy:
This may seem crazy, but when I'm working shows, I try to talk everyone I can OUT of the Mor-Ryde axles. I just tell them honestly that the way we build our frames with box tube -vs- I beam, and the way we pay attention to get the right suspension under each coach, you really don't need Mor-Ryde on an Excel.

Bryan
How one sees things depends on where one sits. The trailers we had were at the other end of the spectrum from a premium product like Excel. They weren't necessarily built bad, but we eventually added shocks to reduce the bounce. I can easily see where with appropriate engineering, you'd take care of that. I find it amazing that our F450 (when empty) actually rides as well as or better than our old F250 (also empty). So I stand corrected on my earlier comment on recommending no springs!

Thanks!! David
Old 03-04-2009, 10:25 AM   #8

Excel Owners Club
David,
As far as buying a set of bushings, if you have an extra $125 laying around that's what it would have cost us if we'd been overweight. There's a 5 yr parts warranty and 1 year labor, from Mor-Ryde, so for us...$0 for the bushings, $320 to have them put on. Watch yours and hopefully you'll have better luck. FYI...the alignment is $160...

Good Luck and enjoy your rig. We love ours !
Old 03-04-2009, 11:14 AM   #9

Excel Owners Club
Linda, I also have the Mor-Ryde package and really like how it rides. We really notice that things in the coach do not move as much as our old unit. I have about 10,000 miles on it and have not noticed any odd wearing of the tires. I was also told by my dealer that prior to my purchase that Excel feels that you really don't need Mor-Ride suspension on their units. After hearing of your problems I probably should have saved my money. My weight on the rig is 13,560 lbs.

The Squirrel
Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 03:24 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally posted by Lindaxtwo:
David,
As far as buying a set of bushings, if you have an extra $125 laying around that's what it would have cost us if we'd been overweight. There's a 5 yr parts warranty and 1 year labor, from Mor-Ryde, so for us...$0 for the bushings, $320 to have them put on. Watch yours and hopefully you'll have better luck. FYI...the alignment is $160...

Good Luck and enjoy your rig. We love ours !
Thanks - that's good info to have! David
Old 03-04-2009, 05:33 PM   #11

Hello just be4 I ordered my new excel I heard from Bryan at Peterson & he said the same thing about the MOr ride susp. & I removed the mor ride option from my want list & just ordered the disc brakes, that was good sound advise from a man in the know Thankyou Bryan