Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-08-2021, 01:44 PM   #1

Excel Owners Club
Anyone installed Dometic 320 toilet in Excel to replace Thetford Aurora?

I have searched the forum but can not find where anyone has done this.

Our 2004 Excel has the Thetford Aurora that has been rebuilt several times and needs it again with some major parts this time.

I have looked at the Dometic 320 and it looks like a pretty good design for ease of cleaning plus it is an elongated bowl.

The current toilet flange center is 9.5 inches from the wall and the 320 needs to have 11.0 inches. An offset flange will give me up to two inches to work with, so I think it will fit ok.

My question for the group is has anyone done this?

If so, what were the unforeseen challenges? ( I know they are there)
Jim & Trish Chandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-08-2021, 02:06 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Do not waste your money on a Dometic 300 series toilet. Customer service stinks and very little can be replaced. Google "dometic 320 toilet problems".

I finally got the dealer to take the 320 back and I ordered parts to repair my old Thetford.

Ken
Old 10-08-2021, 02:17 PM   #3

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
Do not waste your money on a Dometic 300 series toilet. Customer service stinks and very little can be replaced. Google "dometic 320 toilet problems".

I finally got the dealer to take the 320 back and I ordered parts to repair my old Thetford.

Ken
Hi Ken, thanks for responding. Could you be specific about the issues with your 320? What parts needed to be replaces that were not available? also which Thetford model did you have?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.
Jim
Old 10-08-2021, 07:26 PM   #4

Excel Owners Club
I don't know how much help I can be, mostly my opinion. First the old Aurora is a nasty toilet IMHO and the bowl valves are a mess. (I never had one but been around a few) Please don't try and waste money to rebuild. I am very familiar with the Thetford Aqua Plus which we had on all 3 of our Excels. A bowl seal every once in a while and a water valve valve due to leakage problem twice. This should be a direct replacement for your Aurora (IIRC). I got to where I could pull mine unit out to clean and service the toilet in an hour total. I think I even did a write up on the process. Easy. Not any of the toilets are bullet proof, but the biggest issue that folks don't do is properly treat the bowl seal. Once you take care of that they last a long-long time. Many folks wait for the ball and seal to bind.....then want to doctor it up with Vaseline or silicone to temporarily fix it.....You'll to replace the ball seal and then take care of it properly!!!! I used Thetford Seal Conditioner. Anyhow enough of that. Good luck and let us know what you do.
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 07:42 PM   #5

Dometic 300 Series are 'entry level' (throw away toilets)

Can NOT replace the flush ball, can NOT repalce the flush ball mechanism
Can replace the water valve, vacuum breaker, bowl seal & floor flange seal

Many of them have had leaks between base and bowl area...

Thetford Aqua Magic...Residential, Style II, Style PLUS are direct replacements for the Aurora
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 07:55 PM   #6

Excel Owners Club
OB is as sharp as they come so listen to him. He reminded me that my 3 Thetfords were Aqua Magic Style Plus and not just the AM model.
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 10:08 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Dometic 300 Series are 'entry level' (throw away toilets)

Can NOT replace the flush ball, can NOT repalce the flush ball mechanism
Can replace the water valve, vacuum breaker, bowl seal & floor flange seal

Many of them have had leaks between base and bowl area...

Thetford Aqua Magic...Residential, Style II, Style PLUS are direct replacements for the Aurora
In addition, the water will not sweep the bowl and you wind up using a hand sprayer to clean the bowl.

Ken
Old 10-10-2021, 12:31 AM   #8

I replaced my Thetford Aurora with a Dometic 320 in my Safari Trek a couple of years ago, and I feel it is one of the best upgrades I have done. It is true you need more back space for the Dometic 320, though I had a little less than the spec called for and managed to get it to work fine, though it was close. Be aware the water inlet is on the other side of the toilet compared to the Aurora so you will need to reroute plumbing a little, I used a braided flex hose in a C shaped loop to get it to connect.

As to the shortcomings of the Dometic 320, at $200 (looks like it is up to $250), when one of the non-serviceable parts or the bowl to base connection fails, I will just buy another one. (I bought mine in Feb of 2018 and so far it has needed no maintenance)

p.s. no problem with water sweeping the bowl on mine, but I do have a water pressure accumulator tank on my coach.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 07:31 AM   #9

Excel Owners Club
I replaced mine with a 320 also. So far I like it. Direct replacement- elongated bowl- flush water sweeps entire bowl, but occasionally need sprayer-higher profile. I also replaced the sprayer with a higher quality Moen product. It made a lot of difference and it never drips.

Don
Old 10-10-2021, 07:51 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
In addition, the water will not sweep the bowl and you wind up using a hand sprayer to clean the bowl.

Ken
This. A previous owner installed a 320 with no spray rinser. We use an old style refillable restaurant mustard squeeze bottle to give a little squirt rinse. The alternative is to use a lot of water for a longer rinse to mostly(still not 100%) get the whole bowl. We boondock a lot. Wasting a lot of water is not ideal. Not fully rinsing is not an option for somewhat obvious reasons.

We use an accumulator that has about a 3 quart draw down and the water pump is very close to the toilet T off on the main line so lack of water is not an issue.

Previous Roadtrek had a Thetford AM V in it. Once I got the pivot rod seal closed up on the top of the toilet better it was a much better toilet for boondocking with the swirling effect of the flush. The Roadtrek only had a 10 gallon black tank so water conservation was imperative.

Supply on Thetfords was quite iffy a few months ago. I may start hunting again after a two week trip coming up.
SteveJ. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 09:48 AM   #11

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
I replaced my Thetford Aurora with a Dometic 320 in my Safari Trek a couple of years ago, and I feel it is one of the best upgrades I have done. It is true you need more back space for the Dometic 320, though I had a little less than the spec called for and managed to get it to work fine, though it was close. Be aware the water inlet is on the other side of the toilet compared to the Aurora so you will need to reroute plumbing a little, I used a braided flex hose in a C shaped loop to get it to connect.

As to the shortcomings of the Dometic 320, at $200 (looks like it is up to $250), when one of the non-serviceable parts or the bowl to base connection fails, I will just buy another one. (I bought mine in Feb of 2018 and so far it has needed no maintenance)

p.s. no problem with water sweeping the bowl on mine, but I do have a water pressure accumulator tank on my coach.
Thanks for this information. When you discovered you had a little less space from the back wall to the center of the bowl flange, how did you solve the problem? Did you use an offset flange?

Thanks,
Jim
Old 10-10-2021, 03:51 PM   #12

Mine was close enough so that it works even though it is a little short of the specified amount, though the toilet lid does hit the wall when open. In my case the geometry of the install may also make a difference as the toilet is mounted at a diagonal angle to the wall, not perpendicular. My point being don't take that 11.0 inch back space as gospel, in my case it worked with something around 10.5 inches, I don't recall the exact amount, but I am about to run over to the storage shed where I keep the coach and will try to get a better measurement, even a little less might work, but might require a retaining clip to keep the seat lid up.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 11:54 AM   #13

Excel Owners Club
Thanks everybody for the information on this new project, I just pulled the trigger and ordered the Domestic 320 and an offset floor flange to get me from 9.5" to 11" flange center to the back wall.

Should be an interesting project, I'll keep you posted on the progress.

Thanks again,
Jim
Old 10-22-2021, 10:31 AM   #14

Excel Owners Club
Well this was much easier than I thought it would be... The most time consuming part was to alter the hole in the floor to accommodate the offset floor flange. I used a reciprocating saw to cut 7 short straight lines to mirror the offset then used a multi tool with a plunge cut blade to remove the wood in between the cuts at an angle.

Then dry fit the new 3" pipe to the black tank rubber boot that I installed during the black tank replacement project. That saved a lot of time. Glued it and secured the flange to the floor and set the new toilet. NO LEAKS!!

https://www.irv2.com/photopost/showp...hp?photo=37813

Tags
ace, dometic, excel, ford, install, led, replace, toilet